What are the face mask rules for public transport in Manchester from July 19?
Some forms of public transport will continue to ask passengers to use face coverings beyond July 19 - the date that masks stop becoming a legal requirement.
July 19 spells the end for the vast majority of COVID-19 restrictions in the UK – marking the final step on a roadmap out of a national lockdown which has stretched on for seven months.
Social distancing is being stopped. Mass gatherings are being permitted. And nightclubs are all reopening. Life is apparently heading towards something resembling normality once again. But it’s all happening at a peculiar time.
COVID-19 cases are at their highest point since January – prompting some to argue that certain restrictions should remain in place.
The government has already postponed its ‘Freedom Day’ by a month – with the UK originally scheduled to come out of restrictions on June 21. But whilst infection rates continue to spike, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has argued that the reopening should now go ahead – stating that “if we couldn’t open up in the coming weeks, then when could we?”
The biggest point of contention, however, has remained the use of face coverings.
ADVERTISEMENT
In most instances, the use of masks will no longer be a legal requirement past July 19 but rather a recommendation – with Transport Minister Grant Shapps announcing that transport companies can decide their own rules.
With that in mind, here are the restrictions for public transport in Manchester.
ADVERTISEMENT
Do I have to wear a mask on the Metrolink?
Mayor Andy Burnham has said masks will remain a condition of travel on the Metrolink past July 19 / Image: Wikimedia Commons
Face coverings will remain compulsory on Greater Manchester’s Metrolink service beyond July 19.
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham confirmed earlier this week that wearing a mask will be required across the network until further notice.
Failure to comply with these Conditions of Carriage could see passengers refused travel and/or fined up to £100.
ADVERTISEMENT
Burnham has also been working with other Mayors in England as part of a campaign to encourage the government to reverse its decision on masks nationwide – saying the “best solution is to continue the national requirement” for face coverings on all transport.
Together with Mayors across England, and building on the move by @SadiqKhan, I am using what powers I have to maintain mask-wearing on public transport.
We all believe the best solution is to continue the national requirement from Monday and we hope the Government will listen. pic.twitter.com/ejfuyVhgme
The Mayor stated: “There are around 200,000 people in Greater Manchester who are clinically vulnerable and I believe the Government’s decision to drop the requirement to wear face masks on public transport could put those people more at risk when using public transport, or force them off altogether.
“I do not believe they should be put in that unfair position.
“I have been listening to people’s concerns and, in response, have decided to continue to require the wearing of face coverings on Metrolink.”
Do I have to wear a mask on the bus or train?
Masks will not be a legal requirement on buses from July 19 / Image: Wikipedia
It is up to the transport operator as to whether the use of masks will be enforced on buses or trains in Greater Manchester – as they do not fall under the remit of the Mayor.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT), which represents major bus and coach operators such as National Express and Megabus, said it will not be making masks a requirement past July 19.
A CPT statement reads: “We expect that many people, especially in busy places, will follow the Prime Minister’s call to continue to wear a face covering as a courtesy to others.
“Passengers, though, will find it difficult to understand why the Prime Minister has singled out public transport as somewhere to wear a face covering when a range of other activities share its characteristics.
“We now need to see clear guidance for operators and customers but, in the absence of regulations, it is important that we respect everyone’s right to choose whether to wear a face covering.”
Train industry body the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) announced that most domestic train operators, such as Avanti West Coast, TransPennine Express and Southeastern will not require passengers to use face coverings on board.
ADVERTISEMENT
An RDG spokesman said: “Rail companies will ask people to follow the Government guidance and, out of respect for others, wear face coverings if an indoor setting is busy.
“Train travel is low-risk, with the majority of carriages well ventilated by air conditioning systems or by doors and windows.”
Eurostar, however, will ask passengers to continue wearing masks beyond July 19.
Do I have to wear a mask at the airport?
Masks will continue to remain compulsory in airports and on planes / Image: Lukas Souza via Unsplash
British Airways, EasyJet, Virgin and Ryanair, have specified that masks will be required on board their flights.
News
Manchester urged to ‘come together against hate’ ahead of Britain First march in the city this weekend
Emily Sergeant
Manchester is being urged to ‘come together against hate’ ahead of the Britain First march planned in the city centre this weekend.
Cllr Bev Craig, who is the Leader of Manchester City Council, has addressed the local community directly, asserting Manchester’s core values as a welcoming city with ‘diversity and respect’ at its heart, and reaffirming that the message from the region’s leaders is one of ‘unity’ and togetherness against hatred ‘in all its forms’.
“Manchester does not welcome Britain First to our city because they seek to divide our communities and spread hatred,” Cllr Craig declared.
We are stronger together…
Which is why we are making a poster available for residents, communities and local organisations to download, share and display.
Founded by anti-abortion campaigner, Britain First is described as being a far-right British fascist and neo-fascist political party and hate group formed in 2011 by members of the former British National Party (BNP).
The party itself, however, states on its own website that it is as a ‘patriotic political party that will put our own people first’.
In an emphatic statement speaking out against Britain First’s views and their intentions to march through the city centre this weekend, Cllr Bev Craig said: “We understand the alarm and distress that comes when a group like Britain First, which is widely regarded as a far-right hate group, chooses to gather in our city.
“However, UK law protects the right to freedom of expression and assembly, and this means that protests are allowed on the condition they engage fully with the local police force.
Cllr Bev Craig urges Manchester to ‘come together against hate’ / Credit: Manchester City Council
“GMP have given assurances that they will be policing this protest seriously, robustly and with public safety as their top priority.
“At a time when groups promoting division seek attention, our strength comes from standing united – celebrating our diversity and supporting one another. Let’s come together and send a clear message that hate has no place in our city.”
Cllr Craig closed out her statement declaring that Manchester ‘stands together’.
“Our unity is stronger than hate and the values that unite us will always hold firm.
“We are a welcoming and friendly city, with a proud history of tolerance, fairness and respect. But the hate and division that Britain First foster has no place here. We have no time for racism or hatred.”
Featured Image – Matthew Waring (via Unsplash)
News
Kate Scott praised for impassioned speech following more racism in Champions League
Danny Jones
Football pundit and sports presenter Kate Scott has been met with plenty of praise for her ‘expert’ handling of the fallout following more racism in the Champions League this week, delivering an emotional and impassioned speech about discrimination live on TV.
The Manchester-born broadcaster, formerly Kate Abdo, was serving as the host on her usual CBS Sports panel on Tuesday, 17 February, when the story of the playoff game between Benfica and Real Madrid – which included a worldie from Vinicius Jr. – was overshadowed by more allegations of racial abuse.
In case you missed it, Argentine player Gianluca Prestianni was accused of making racist remarks by both Vini Jr and Kylian Mbappe, but supposedly covered his mouth so as not to be caught on camera; the match was then stopped for more than 11 minutes.
Speaking in the aftermath amid the following European fixtures the next day, the Withington-schooled journalist and University of Salford graduate delivered an eloquent reaction to the controversy with peak professionalism.
Absolutely pitch perfect, and all those involved in preparing the statement should be applauded.
While Scott herself recognised that it’s a shame we even have to keep talking about issues like these rather than the sheer simplistic beauty of, well, ‘the beautiful game’, her response is an example of the job being done at arguably its very best: factual, ethical, moving and inspiring.
As you can see, Scott goes on to say, “This isn’t Real Madrid versus Benfica – it is right versus wrong. Vini Junior and Kylian Mbappe said that there was repeated racial abuse.
“Gianluca Prestiani said they misheard, but he covered his mouth to hide what he said from the cameras, and hopefully, we can all agree that if what you are saying on a football pitch is shameful enough to have to hide it from the public, then you’re wrong.”
The Portuguese club, which ultimately lost 1-0 in their first leg at home on the night, have released a statement reaffirming their commitment to “equality, respect, and inclusion” but reiterates that they believe Prestiani and feel he is now the subject of a “defamation campaign”.
Conversely, in a definitive and emphatic closing message, she signs off by adding the following: “The racial diversity on a football pitch in the Champions League is the representation of the global love for this game and the global belonging in this game. This is the very spirit of football.
“And if you don’t agree, then respectfully, you are the one who doesn’t belong.”
This is what the Athletic is supposed to be. Telling important stories & giving in depth analysis. I hope this signals that it will be its focus moving forward.
From CBS ‘Golazo’ show being applauded for tackling the subject head-on, to Cross herself being labelled as everything from “a role model” and “a benchmark” to “the best on the planet” in the outpouring of reactions on social media, it’s fair to say they absolutely nailed it.
Sadly, this is one of many recent examples of prejudice being shared publicly across various UEFA tournaments and beyond in recent years, but the only way we can truly help anti-hate initiatives is by continuing to call them out.