After years of speculation as to whether it could work in the beautiful game, blue cards are set to be tested across world football as part of a new trial of the sin-bin system seen in sports like rugby.
As per an exclusive by Telegraph Sport, the small-scale introduction of blue cards is scheduled to take place sometime next season and could be as early as this summer, with trials starting out in smaller competitions before being potentially workshopped in the likes of the FA Cup and Women’s FA Cup.
While it’s said that they will not be seen in European competitions like the Euros or next year’s Champions League, with UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin having come out in full protest against them — “It’s not football anymore”, he previously told the outlet — there’s already been a push for blue cards.
The Welsh FA have been keen to try out the sin-bin alternative for this competitive year, calling for blue cards instead of the long-discussed orange so as to clearly differentiate between yellow and red, but the testing has been done at the grassroots level in Wales has simply used yellows for the time being.
Blue cards are set to be trialed in football, according to @TeleFootball
Players will be sent off for 10 minutes if they commit a cynical foul or show dissent 🔵 pic.twitter.com/CL4AuvAJAA
One game-changing example came to mind immediately on social media.
So how would blue cards and sin-bins in football work?
Now, the proposed sin-bin system is pretty straightforward by the sounds of things: one blue card equates to 10 minutes off the pitch and will be handed out by referees in response to things like dissent or cynical fouls in the first order.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Telegraph reports that two blue cards would result in a red just like a player would currently be sent off if they earned a second yellow card.
How this will integrate with existing bookings via a traditional yellow or receiving one of each etc. remains to be seen but will no doubt be outlined in more detail when the official announcement is made, expected to be this Friday, 9 February.
ADVERTISEMENT
Said to have been signed off by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the governing body which adjudicates over FIFA and all other organisations within world football, the introduction of blue cards and the sin-bin system would be the biggest rule change since the 1970 World Cup.
IFAB will publish the detailed protocols for sin bin trials in professional football tomorrow and are expected to include a provision for blue cards 🟦
In the trials, referees will have the power to send players off for 10 minutes for dissent or cynical fouls ⏱️ pic.twitter.com/TXzz7DFaSy
The iconic tournament saw the first use of yellow and red cards over half a century ago and is now the standard so synonymous with the game that most football fans won’t remember a time before it.
Although the introduction of VAR just a few years ago now has proved controversial in the sport, to say the least, sin-bins have been used on numerous occasions in youth and grassroots games up and down the UK, with refs cracking down on dissent (complaining to/abusing officials) more and more each year.
ADVERTISEMENT
If the new proposals are ultimately greenlit, they could also the trial of another rugby union-style rule which will see only team captains allowed to contest on-field calls to further dissuade players from swarming referees in an effort to pressure them into making a particular decision.
It would be a landmark moment in the history of football if it does pass and progress into global leagues and major tournaments. What do you reckon — a good idea or a bad one?
Manchester Storm have already set a new record before they’ve even returned ‘home’
Danny Jones
Manchester Storm have already broken a record ahead of next season, and they’ve done it before they’ve even made it back to their original stadium.
Just goes to show that the ice hockey following here in Greater Manchester hasn’t gone anywhere.
Following the news that Manchester Storm will be returning to the city centre for the 2026/27 campaign, they’ve had a flood of interest from both new and old fans.
With that in mind, it didn’t take long for the native team to reveal that they have already set a new record for season ticket sales just a few weeks on from the announcement.
Sharing an update on social media, they write: “Manchester Storm supporters have delivered incredible demand for 2026/27 Season Tickets, with the club recording its highest-ever sales within the first week and the strongest total in its modern history.
“Thank you, Manchester, for your amazing support.”
Crediting ticketing partner StubHero for helping deliver “a smooth experience during this period of exceptional demand” for followers of the local outfit, they’re even set to give away the next milestone season ticket away completely FREE as part of the ‘homecoming’ celebrations.
Writing further in an official statement, they went on to add: “The move back to the AO Arena represents far more than just a change of venue or a return home…
“It marks the beginning of an ambitious new chapter for the club, built around bigger crowds, bigger occasions, and an unforgettable gameday experience in one of the UK’s premier entertainment venues.
Speaking in an interview with internal media, CEO and owner Emma Finnerty said that they’re not just aiming to grow their reputation in Britain: “Our vision is to become the biggest club in Europe.
“When you think of Manchester, you think of Manchester United and Manchester City – and then hopefully we’ll come third after them.”
While the former ‘Storm Shelter’ stadium at Planet Ice Altrincham only held a maximum of 2,500 spectators, serving them more than faithfully over the past decade or so, the AO Arena can literally hold almost ten times that amount. Here’s hoping they get close to full week in and week out.
As hockey fandom continues to grow across the UK, it feels like a better time than ever for supporters to get involved with the sport – and, as ever, they’re keen to get people as involved as possible.
Featured Images — The Manc Group/Publicity pictures (via Manchester Storm)
Sport
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.