As Jenni Hermoso and the rest of the 2023 Women’s World Cup-winning team rebel against the Spanish FA and now-suspended president, Luis Rubiales, England’s Ella Toone appeared on BBC Breakfast to share a message of unified support from the Lionesses.
There are no words to express how much love and pride we have for this lot.
Joining the coach on Tuesday 29 August, the England and Manchester United forward was asked to give her feelings on the ongoing saga as Spain’s football federation is now investigating Rubiales for kissing Hermoso without consent, as well as a variety of other controversies within the national team.
Not hesitating for a second to praise what she and the rest of her teammates have hailed as an incredible squad in the World Cup final earlier this month, Toone went on to say that the nonconsensual kiss was simply unacceptable.
Ella Toone gives her verdict on Hermoso, Rubiales and the ongoing scandal.
“It’s not the best”, said Toone, adding that “Spain were unbelievable throughout that tournament” and while the fact that they won their first Women’s World Cup “should be the main talking point… It’s been overshadowed by something that happened after the game that is unacceptable and the Lionesses all stand by Jenni Hermoso.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Last week, after reports that the women’s team are now refusing to play until Rubiales resigns and the majority of the coaching staff have now walked out, Sarina Wiegman and her side shared a message of solidarity, stating “We all stand with you, @jennihermoso and all players of the Spanish team.”
“Unacceptable actions allowed to happen by a sexist and patriarchal organisation,” they wrote. “Abuse is abuse and we have all seen the truth. The behaviour of those who think they are invincible must not be tolerated and people shouldn’t need convincing to take action against any form of harassment.
ADVERTISEMENT
Being asked to reflect on what motivated them to share the heartfelt message, the 23-year-old said the idea was posed by “some of the leaders in the squad” but assured it was one they “all believed in and wanted to put out as a team”, adding they now just “want the right thing to be done”.
The treatment of female Spanish players over the past year alone is by no means limited to what he has dismissed as a mere “peck”.
The systemic abuse isn’t new. It’s not only the one who commits the action but those who enable the violator & others to continue abuse. In words of @ChristenPress women shouldn’t have to win to finally be heard. #SeAcabópic.twitter.com/l9ugFIBJTh
With countless members of the squad having refused to play under equally controversial manager, Jorge Vilda, at points, and allegations of mistreatment at various levels throughout the national team, the narrative seems to be increasingly one of a systemic problem in women’s football in the country.
ADVERTISEMENT
With 15 players having previously signed an email that claimed they had been subjected to “situations that affect our emotional and personal state, our performance, and consequently the results of the national team” earlier, people have similarly been calling for Vilda to be sacked for some time.
Although the specifics of what the players alleged are not entirely known, footage of the 42-year-old coach touching a female member of his backroom staff’s breast whilst on the touchline at the World Cup has also been shared online.
The more evidence that continues to come light, the louder the cries for both of them to resign get, and people are now taking to the streets across Spain under one message: ‘Se acabó’ — i.e. ‘it’s over’ and there will be ‘no more’ instances of female professional footballers being abused.
Huge protests in central Madrid tonight showing support and solidarity with Jenni Hermoso, and demanding change. #SeAcabó. Enough is enough.https://t.co/sMLpa9bhBj
As Toone went on to say, “it’s a tough situation” for the Spanish national team and “it’s sad that we’re still talking about things like [Rubiales] misconduct” when both countries should be focusing on simply celebrating their teams’ achievements.
She concluded by saying that Spain’s FA president should “definitely” vacate his post, insisting that it’s “too far gone now for an apology… it’s much bigger than that now, so hopefully the right thing is done. He needs to move on”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Regarding Vilda, he is one of the few members of the coaching staff who has remained part of the team but there is growing pressure for him to follow his boss on the way out and to also face investigation.
Earlier this week, the BBC also came under fire whilst reporting on the entire scandal after they mistakenly used images of a Manchester City legend when referencing Luis Rubiales.
Manchester City’s Stadium Tours are back for the summer and bigger than ever
Danny Jones
Manchester City stadium tours are back for summer 2026, with more to see from the home of the Blues than ever, and with 15% off all tickets until the end of August, too.
It’s safe to say that Man City are going through a HUGE period of change right now: embarking on a new era under Enzo Maresca following the dynasty of Pep Guardiola, vast redevelopments of the wider Etihad Campus, a new club hotel, and the expansion of the North Stand – now named after said Catalan coach.
With that in mind, there’s so much new stuff going on over in East Manchester and arguably more of it all happening in one place than we can recall in recent memory, making it the perfect time for Cityzens to return to the famous home ground – indeed, your Etihad debut if you haven’t made one already.
Giving you greater access to areas usually reserved for players and staff only than ever, this exclusive, interactive and virtual tour will take you through the very bones of the storied sporting arena, all the way through to pitchside.
Fans can explore the dressing room and follow in the footsteps of their favourite City players as they walk through the iconic glass players’ tunnel, before walking out into the open air and sitting in the dugout to take in that incredible view.
You can also try out the latest ‘Beyond the Blue Moon’ experience – an immersive VR adventure that sees supporters journey through Manchester City’s past, present, and future.
Following on from Pep lending his likeness, using innovative technology, you can now even have the chance to put your questions to Erling Haaland in the Press Conference Room.
There aren’t many teams on the planet that offer this level of stadium tour, let alone just here in the UK, so it’s no wonder they remain award-winning almost every single year.
Whether you’re a lifelong City fan, a football lover or visiting this wonderful place we call Manchester for the very first time, there’s something for everyone.
For instance, with The Medlock Hotel and accompanying Medlock Square already lining up its maiden events, the City Football Group (CFG) are once again committing to make the wider Etihad Campus an all-year-round entertainment destination.
That being said, plenty of people online have been generating a lot of buzz about the aforementioned Medlock’s new stadium-view rooms since clips appeared on social media.
Pitch view rooms coming to the Radisson Blu Medlock Hotel at #ManCity’s Etihad Stadium. 🤯
As for the tickets themselves, the club have also taken steps to keep the cost affordable.
Standard prices start from just £32 for adults and only £20 for under-16s, with larger family packages available from £60.
BUT, with the 15% discount mentioned earlier, adults currently cost just £27; kids go for just £17, and those family passes start from just £51.
You can find all the options when it comes to stadium tour passes and grab the type of admission that suits you right HERE.
Speaking of tickets, City have also been met with praise for the introduction of new discounted seats for local residents; find out all the details below.
René Meulensteen names the ‘ideal’ signing that Man United appear to be overlooking
Danny Jones
Ex-Manchester United coach René Meulensteen has named the one key signing that he feels the Red Devils are missing out on by not pursuing this summer.
The former Man United assistant, who served under Sir Alex and has recently returned to the backrooms of the English football pyramid, has given his verdict on what he thinks his old club still needs in terms of reinforcements.
Chatting with TipmanTips, the 62-year-old identified the backline as a persisting problem area for now full-time manager Michael Carrick, insisting that they could do with another central defender.
The footballer in question is his fellow countryman, Micky van de Ven – fresh from a new contract with Tottenham Hotspur – who has surprised many by not securing his next big-money move so far in the transfer window.
We are delighted to announce that Micky van de Ven has signed a new contract with the Club!
Speaking in an exclusive interview, he said his Dutch compatriot wouldn’t just be a great rotation player but a starter coming into the 2026/26 season.
“I still think they’re vulnerable at the back”, says Meulensteen, “and that’s one thing Michael is going to have to sort out as soon as possible when the season starts. Finding a centre-back partnership that works and getting some consistency in the back line will be key.
“Harry Maguire is coming off a good end to last season, but he needs some complementary centre-backs next to him, and then also on the right-hand side next to him with Mazraoui and Dalot not really doing anything.”
“I would have been looking at Micky van de Ven from Spurs before he signed a new deal. He’s powerful, he’s quick, he’s got great experience in playing as a left centre back in the Premier League, and he would have given United a very different dynamic in their defence.
He rounded off the recommendation, however late, by arguing that were Maguire to be a mainstay first-choice centre-half for Carrick this season, “van de Ven would’ve meant you wouldn’t have to worry about his lack of pace in behind, as he can cover so much ground recovering.”
As for who they have brought in so far, they’ve managed a well-balanced, albeit limited number of young and experienced talents, including the surprise return of greatest-ever goalscorers (currently 13th on the all-time list at still just 28) in Marcus Rashford.
While he did go on to cite the likes of Brighton’s Jan Paul van Hecke as a viable alternative, it’s fair to say he would be high up on the shortlist of many fans – and not just United.
On the other hand, we’d once again reiterate that we include ourselves among those stunned that he hasn’t had more suitors floating around of late, especially given he was one of the few bright lights among a side that nearly got relegated last term.
Would you have him as another CB option, Reds?
As for the one-time United assistant, he has recently been introduced to Stockport County FC supporters as the latest addition to the technical staff in an admittedly curious new position…