The country of Georgia is currently wrapped up more than 30 days of civil unrest and in the midst of it all is their new President, who also happens to be a former Manchester City player.
Yes, having been sworn into office on Sunday, 29 December, ex-Man City forward Mikheil Kavelashvili is now the President of the Eastern European nation, though the role is more of a ceremonial head of state.
Kavelashvili, now 53, only spent a fairly short spell at the club between 1996 and 1997, which was also their first year in the old First Division (now known as the Championship) after being relegated from the Premier League.
Kavelashvili is one of just four Georgian players to ever represent City, including Georgi Kinladze, Murtaz Shelia and Kakhaber Tskhadadze.
The former Man City man was appointed the President of Georgia last week.
The striker only made 28 appearances for the Blues in total, netting just three goals, but one of those did come against United in the Manchester derby towards the latter end of the 95/96 season. Fast forward about 30 years and now he’s a political figurehead.
ADVERTISEMENT
All that being said, his appointment hasn’t exactly been a welcome one and for many, he isn’t even considered a legitimate choice for the job.
Serious protests over problematic politics
Kavelashvili is a former MP as well as a retired professional footballer but, as you can see in the video above, the ex-Man City player isn’t seen as a proper politician by a good chunk of the Georgian population.
As mentioned, the Prime Minister and the ruling party hold most of the real power given that its constitution is that of a parliamentary republic with separation between the two leading roles.
Kavelashvili was selected by said ruling party, Georgian Dream, but the decision has been boycotted by the four main opposition groups and the vast majority of the nation. Not only is he seen as an insufficiently qualified pick but allegations of election fraud and ‘EU-turning’ have sparked outrage.
ADVERTISEMENT
Oddly enough, he’s not even the first former Man City player to turn his hand to politics, as one-time left-winger and forward George Weah was also elected the President of Liberia back in 2017, before ultimately conceding power as a much less popular figure than he started by November 2023.
What is it about Man City and politics?
George Weah (former) president of Liberia, and now, Mikheil Kavelashvili, president of Georgia.
With New Year’s morning marking 34 consecutive days of protests, the people claim Georgian Dream rigged the parliamentary elections and are trying to distance themselves from the West.
Prime Minister Irakli Kobakhidze also announced that Georgia’s application to the European Union would be delayed by another four years, meaning it won’t be until 2028 that negotiations with the continental governing body can even begin, despite being stated as a goal of their revised constitution since 2017.
As per Reuters, Kobakhidze claims that EU membership could damage Georgia’s economy but the overwhelming consensus and concern among the Caucasus is that the far-right associated party are looking to strengthen ties with Russia, who still control about 20% of Georgian territory.
Protests, both peaceful and violent, continue to rage on across Georgia and by whatever strange butterfly effect, a larger forgotten former Man City player who scored just a handful of goals in one has found himself the president at the heart of it all.
ADVERTISEMENT
Perhaps this particular demonstration in the capital of Tbilisi sums up the general sentiment towards him:
People are holding up red cards for Mikheil Kavelashvili, former football player, who Georgian Dream now inaugurates as president. pic.twitter.com/G7poS9FIik
Featured Images — Channel 4 (screenshot via YouTube)
Sport
Jack Grealish dedicates first league goal in 16 months to late brother on anniversary of his death
Danny Jones
Manchester City star Jack Grealish held back the tears following his first Premier League goal in more than 16 months, but not in relief after breaking the duck, because it came on a very emotional day for him and his family.
The Man City and England midfielder opened the scoring in the Blues’ 2-0 win against Leicester City on Wednesday night, bringing an end to his goal drought after a total of 473 days.
But what made it even more special is that the game happened to coincide with the anniversary of his late brother Keelan’s death.
Speaking in his post-match interview after picking up the man of the match award, Grealish was in a noticeably quieter mood than his usual charismatic self before revealing that the day marked the 25th anniversary of his younger sibling’s death.
Jack Grealish dedicates his goal to his late brother on the 25th anniversary of his death ❤️ pic.twitter.com/u3toaqZSuR
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) April 2, 2025
The 29-year-old went on to reveal that the date coincided with Keelan’s passing and acknowledged that it’s “hard on the family but [I’m] happy to score”.
His mum and dad, Karen and Kevin, were up in the stands; it doesn’t need explaining why scoring in that particular moment was so special for all of them.
Clearly stirred by addressing what was a bittersweet occasion, he signed off by adding, “To score and to win was brilliant.”
Keelan Daniel Grealish was just nine months old when he tragically passed away from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) back in 2000 – ‘Super Jack’ was just four at the time.
Paying tribute on social media after the game, the comments below his post were filled with love and support.
Besides the goal itself, the former Aston Villa star was keen to reiterate that he was never brought to the club to score bags of goals and “has a lot more to offer” than just hitting the back of the net.
Touching on his Grealish’s game and the tribute to Keelan during his post-match duties, manager Pep Guardiola went on to add: “Jack is an incredible human being; in terms of gestures and for the other people, he’s incredibly generous.
“I didn’t know that [it was the anniversary of his brother’s death]. I can’t imagine how tough it could be for mum, dad, sister, and all the family. It’s good on this day to remember him, I’m pretty sure they remember every single day.”
A lovely moment from a much-loved character around the Eithad Stadium as well as up and down the country. Rest in peace, Keelan.
You can watch the highlights from the game down below:
Three more points on the board for City and a big moment for the Brummy-born midfielder.
Featured Images — Sky Sports (screenshots via YouTube)
Sport
Marc Skinner signs new contract to keep him at Manchester United until 2027
Danny Jones
Manchester United Women manager Marc Skinner has signed off on a new deal with the Red Devils, accepting a contract that will see him stay at the club until at least 2027.
Approaching half a decade in charge of Man United’s women’s team, Marc Skinner has now committed his future to the side which helped the club to a historic male and female FA Cup double and qualified for Champions League for the first time.
Confirmed via social media on Wednesday, 2 April, the club shared the news that the 42-year-old has put pen to paper on a new two-year contract with an option to extend for a further 12 months.
His side is also currently third in the WSL, and although Chelsea remain the perennial favourites, they are continuing to push harder for the title each season following their second-placed finish in 22/23.
Speaking on the new deal, Brummy-born Skinner wrote: “It has been an absolute privilege to serve as head coach for this fantastic football club for the past four years, and I am delighted to be extending my time in the role for at least a further two years.
“We’re building a young, hungry team with the aim of challenging consistently for further trophies. There is still more hard work ahead, including this season, but the players and staff have already shown their determination to succeed, and I’m looking forward to us taking the next steps in our journey together.”
The former Birmingham and Orlando Pride head coach has been a somewhat divisive figure around Leigh Sports Village and Old Trafford during his tenure in recent years, with some vocal supporters even calling ‘Skinner Out’ last year.
He was ultimately kept on following the 4-0 thrashing of Spurs in the Women’s FA Cup, but many fans are still unhappy with the amount of progress made under him.
In addition to a lack of silverware throughout his time in charge, with many criticising his tactics, star talents like Alessia Russo, Mary Earps, Nikita Parris, Lucía Garcíaand captain Katie Zelem have all departed during this time. Others just haven’t felt the same since Casey Stoney left back in 2021.
Even gave him a photoshoot. Right wrong on not a significant part of the fan base hates Marc skinner. It’s tone deaf to assume we all celebrate on socials. I would turn the comments off tbh. https://t.co/VIarfUAkoJ
Nevertheless, Marc Skinner is staying for the immediate future, and there are still plenty who back him and the work he’s done, or at least the direction he is looking to go in.
Speaking on the extension, United‘s technical director Jason Wilcox said: “Marc’s record since taking charge speaks for itself, having delivered our first major women’s silverware and firmly established us among the leading teams in the WSL.
“After a major overhaul last summer, we have an exciting, developing squad ready to compete for further success, and we are convinced that Marc is the right coach to lead that process.”
COO Collette Roche went on to insist that “building a successful and popular women’s team is an important part of our wider, football-first strategy for the club” and that they hope Skinner will continue to contribute in placing “Manchester United at the forefront of growth in the women’s game.”