João Cancelo joins Bayern Munich on loan as many City fans are left scratching their heads
Many City fans have been left scratching their heads at how the situation has panned out so quickly.
Manchester City star João Cancelo has joined Bayern Munich on loan until the end of the season. Not exactly the kind of transfer business we were expecting this January.
The Portuguese full-back, midfielder and jack of all trades who has been one of City‘s best players in recent years, not to mention one of the most highly-regarded talents in the Premier League full stop, departs from the club on a six-month contract.
Even more surprisingly, the deal includes an option for the Bundesliga club to make the transfer permanent for a reported fee of around £61.5 million come the summer transfer window.
And just like that, one of the Blue’s brightest sparks is out the door.
As the reports of his imminent departure first broke, The Athletic detailed how the 28-year-old’s relationship with manager Pep Guardiola broke down due to a number of reasons.
In addition to being substituted in the game against Chelsea, the dynamic wing-back is said to have walked straight from the team bus to the dugout for one game and failed to pay attention in team meetings.
It is thought that the Spanish coach had a conversation with him not long after the series of incidents which sealed his exit, despite being a firm favourite among fans and regular first-team player since 2019.
The German giants unveiled him in his new colours on Tuesday morning.
Speaking in his first official press conference as a Bayern player, Cancelo said that his decision to leave City was mainly down to minutes.
“I’ve not had much game time in the past few weeks, which influenced my decision. It has nothing to do with my relationship with Pep. I really wanted to embark on this new adventure at such a club with such a big history. It’s a dream for me”
Referencing a clip he released on Instagram earlier this week, he said: “The video may sound like a farewell, but it wasn’t meant that way. We have to see what these five months will bring, I want to be here with a clear head. We will then talk about it again at the end of the season.”
- Cristiano Ronaldo ‘will return to Europe’, says Al-Nassr FC head coach
- 10 best places where to watch the Six Nations in Manchester city centre
- Lisandro Martínez leaves two kids in tears of joy after stopping to sign shirt
Though it still remains unclear, with the squad depth that the current champions possess, it seems unlikely that the club will bring anyone in as a replacement with hours left of deadline day.
Unsurprisingly, both the move itself and the swiftness with which it was completed has left some City fans scratching their heads.
While many seem to understand Pep’s reasons, especially when Cancelo himself expressed the desire to leave and his presence in the dressing room clearly became an obstacle, others aren’t so convinced.
What do you reckon: right move to let him go or should the blue half of Manchester be doing everything they can to make sure he sees out his contract which runs until 2027?
For all the latest news, events and goings on in Greater Manchester, subscribe to The Manc newsletter HERE.
Featured Image — Man City/Bayern Munich (via Twitter)