After Steven Schumacher was confirmed as the new Bolton Wanderers manager this week, the newly appointed gaffer has now revealed the backroom staff that will be joining him.
The former Stoke City, Plymouth Argyle and Southport boss was announced on Thursday evening, signing a three-and-a-half-year deal with Bolton after being dismissed from his role in Staffordshire back in September after just nine months in charge.
Once a midfielder himself (having played for both Oldham and Bury), the 40-year-old’s dismissal earlier this season was seen as premature by many at the time, but now Schumacher is back in the dugout and will lead his Bolton squad for the first time this Saturday, 1 February against 10th placed Reading.
Caretaker trio Julian Darby (ex-Leeds United assistant), retired Sheffield United defender Andy Taylor and player-coach Andrew Tutte had been put in charge for the interim, however, Schumacher has now named the key figures among his first-team staff.
Announced on Friday (31 Jan), Schumacher’s former right-hand man at both Stoke and Plymouth, Mark Hughes, will be joined by fellow coach Richie Kyle, who was last employed at second divison side and recent Premier League promotees, Luton Town, where he served as assistant manager.
ADVERTISEMENT
The latter will take up the same role at the Toughsheet Stadium while Hughes will be third in charge as Assistant Coach. Speaking in an official club statement, manager Schumacher said: “I’m delighted to have made Mark and Richie my first two appointments since joining the club.
“They are going to be very important additions, alongside the staff already here, who I know will make a huge contribution to the work we plan to do.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I have worked closely with Mark for a number of years and know exactly the impact he will have on the squad in implementing our plans and I’m looking forward to now working with Richie as someone who brings so much knowledge and coaching experience from a high level to us.
“I know they will both settle in and make a positive impact straightaway as we work together to build on what we have here and move the team forward.”
The trifecta of new hires come just over a week after previous head coach Ian Evatt left by ‘mutual agreement’ following nearly half a decade in charge of the Whites, having lifted them back from the precipice of non-league and winning the EFL Trophy in 2023.
ADVERTISEMENT
As for his replacement, Schumacher said of his next challenge: “This means everything to me. It’s a fantastic opportunity and I’m really grateful to be given it by [chairman] Sharon [Brittan] and the ownership group.
“It’s a fantastic club with a rich history and the journey and the project here is something I can’t wait to get involved with. It’s been an interesting career journey for me so far and I’m now at a fantastic club, a club which I believe can go on and do great things this season and in the future.”
Meanwhile, while it remains unclear exactly what the future holds for Darby, it is likely Taylor and Tutte’s will continue in their roles overseeing the B-team.
The club have also been sure to keep the positive news coming as they prepare to enter a new month and a fresh chafter after also confirming another attacking signing before deadline day, with Cardiff’s 6’6″ striker Kion Etete joining on loan for the rest of the season – their third deal of the January window.
Jack Grealish dedicates first league goal in 16 months to late brother on anniversary of his death
Danny Jones
Manchester City star Jack Grealish held back the tears following his first Premier League goal in more than 16 months, but not in relief after breaking the duck, because it came on a very emotional day for him and his family.
The Man City and England midfielder opened the scoring in the Blues’ 2-0 win against Leicester City on Wednesday night, bringing an end to his goal drought after a total of 473 days.
But what made it even more special is that the game happened to coincide with the anniversary of his late brother Keelan’s death.
Speaking in his post-match interview after picking up the man of the match award, Grealish was in a noticeably quieter mood than his usual charismatic self before revealing that the day marked the 25th anniversary of his younger sibling’s death.
Jack Grealish dedicates his goal to his late brother on the 25th anniversary of his death ❤️ pic.twitter.com/u3toaqZSuR
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) April 2, 2025
The 29-year-old went on to reveal that the date coincided with Keelan’s passing and acknowledged that it’s “hard on the family but [I’m] happy to score”.
His mum and dad, Karen and Kevin, were up in the stands; it doesn’t need explaining why scoring in that particular moment was so special for all of them.
Clearly stirred by addressing what was a bittersweet occasion, he signed off by adding, “To score and to win was brilliant.”
Keelan Daniel Grealish was just nine months old when he tragically passed away from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) back in 2000 – ‘Super Jack’ was just four at the time.
Paying tribute on social media after the game, the comments below his post were filled with love and support.
Besides the goal itself, the former Aston Villa star was keen to reiterate that he was never brought to the club to score bags of goals and “has a lot more to offer” than just hitting the back of the net.
Touching on his Grealish’s game and the tribute to Keelan during his post-match duties, manager Pep Guardiola went on to add: “Jack is an incredible human being; in terms of gestures and for the other people, he’s incredibly generous.
“I didn’t know that [it was the anniversary of his brother’s death]. I can’t imagine how tough it could be for mum, dad, sister, and all the family. It’s good on this day to remember him, I’m pretty sure they remember every single day.”
A lovely moment from a much-loved character around the Eithad Stadium as well as up and down the country. Rest in peace, Keelan.
You can watch the highlights from the game down below:
Three more points on the board for City and a big moment for the Brummy-born midfielder.
Featured Images — Sky Sports (screenshots via YouTube)
Sport
Marc Skinner signs new contract to keep him at Manchester United until 2027
Danny Jones
Manchester United Women manager Marc Skinner has signed off on a new deal with the Red Devils, accepting a contract that will see him stay at the club until at least 2027.
Approaching half a decade in charge of Man United’s women’s team, Marc Skinner has now committed his future to the side which helped the club to a historic male and female FA Cup double and qualified for Champions League for the first time.
Confirmed via social media on Wednesday, 2 April, the club shared the news that the 42-year-old has put pen to paper on a new two-year contract with an option to extend for a further 12 months.
His side is also currently third in the WSL, and although Chelsea remain the perennial favourites, they are continuing to push harder for the title each season following their second-placed finish in 22/23.
Speaking on the new deal, Brummy-born Skinner wrote: “It has been an absolute privilege to serve as head coach for this fantastic football club for the past four years, and I am delighted to be extending my time in the role for at least a further two years.
“We’re building a young, hungry team with the aim of challenging consistently for further trophies. There is still more hard work ahead, including this season, but the players and staff have already shown their determination to succeed, and I’m looking forward to us taking the next steps in our journey together.”
The former Birmingham and Orlando Pride head coach has been a somewhat divisive figure around Leigh Sports Village and Old Trafford during his tenure in recent years, with some vocal supporters even calling ‘Skinner Out’ last year.
He was ultimately kept on following the 4-0 thrashing of Spurs in the Women’s FA Cup, but many fans are still unhappy with the amount of progress made under him.
In addition to a lack of silverware throughout his time in charge, with many criticising his tactics, star talents like Alessia Russo, Mary Earps, Nikita Parris, Lucía Garcíaand captain Katie Zelem have all departed during this time. Others just haven’t felt the same since Casey Stoney left back in 2021.
Even gave him a photoshoot. Right wrong on not a significant part of the fan base hates Marc skinner. It’s tone deaf to assume we all celebrate on socials. I would turn the comments off tbh. https://t.co/VIarfUAkoJ
Nevertheless, Marc Skinner is staying for the immediate future, and there are still plenty who back him and the work he’s done, or at least the direction he is looking to go in.
Speaking on the extension, United‘s technical director Jason Wilcox said: “Marc’s record since taking charge speaks for itself, having delivered our first major women’s silverware and firmly established us among the leading teams in the WSL.
“After a major overhaul last summer, we have an exciting, developing squad ready to compete for further success, and we are convinced that Marc is the right coach to lead that process.”
COO Collette Roche went on to insist that “building a successful and popular women’s team is an important part of our wider, football-first strategy for the club” and that they hope Skinner will continue to contribute in placing “Manchester United at the forefront of growth in the women’s game.”