A coach load of tourists from Bolton have reportedly left locals angry after travelled to Wales for an already-cancelled ‘Elvis Festival despite local lockdown restrictions.
The Porthcawl Elvis Festival – which held annually in Bridgend County, South Wales and usually attracts about 35,000 fans and 100 impersonators – was understandably cancelled this year due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Following a rise in confirmed cases, Bridgend County Borough was placed under local lockdown restrictions effective of yesterday (22nd September) at 6pm, with residents requiring “a reasonable excuse” to leave their county and tourists warned against travelling to the region.
This didn’t seem to stop a group of Bolton residents travelling there anyway.
The tourists arrived by coach on Monday afternoon after travelling 180 miles to the Seabank Hotel on Porthcawl’s seafront, only to then be told the county would become subject to tighter restrictions.
Instead of spending the four nights in Porthcawl, the hotel is then believed to have transferred the group’s stay elsewhere and it is alleged that the tourists have travelled to the seaside town of Tenby in Pembrokeshire to continue their holiday.
Welsh Government has confirmed further restrictions for Bridgend County Borough from 6pm on Tuesday 22 September to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
? do not travel outside of Bridgend County Borough without a reasonable excuse. 1/6 pic.twitter.com/T8tUubcamo
Reporting from Porthcawl on Monday evening, BBC journalist Rhys Williams, said: “Not so long ago, a coach full of tourists turned up at one of the hotels along the seafront,
“I spoke to a couple of the travellers on there who had actually come all the way from Bolton and instead of staying the four nights they were going to they had been told it was rearranged and tomorrow they were going to Tenby instead due to the restrictions that were due to come in to place.”
The UK government guidance does however allow residents from areas under local lockdown restrictions in England to travel outside of the area for tourism purposes with members of their household or social bubble.
This discrepancy has fuelled concerns over lockdown tourism.
Andrew RT Davies – the Welsh Conservatives’ health spokesperson – told BBC Radio Wales it seemed “remarkable” that people from Bolton were on a coach holiday in Wales.
He said: “It doesn’t seem as if they have broken any rules or regulations, I think it emphasises the need to have a joined up approach between all the countries of the United Kingdom,
“If one part of the UK is allowing for such visits to be undertaken and another part of the UK is receiving those visits and testing isn’t in place to make sure those people aren’t leaving the area and might be spreading the virus, then obviously that is a gaping hole in the regulations.”
By working together we can stop coronavirus taking hold of our communities again.
-Keep 2m apart -Wash your hands -Work from home, if you can -Wear a face covering where needed -Only meet 6 people from your extended household indoors -Only travel when necessary#KeepWalesSafepic.twitter.com/eSTm70AK2e
The recent reports have also provoked anger on social media, with many Welsh residents querying why visitors are allowed to travel from a town with such high levels of coronavirus (COVID-19) infection rates.
A spokesperson for Pembrokeshire Council added: “There are no restrictions to stop people leaving Bolton to go on holiday other than they should be doing so with people with whom they live (or in a ‘bubble’ with). There were no current restrictions on the bus load of persons leaving Porthcawl either at the time, and nothing to stop them from being in Tenby.”
They added the council’s enforcement team would be monitoring premises in Tenby to make sure they were complying with the current regulations.
___
For the latest information, guidance and support during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the UK, please do refer to official sources at gov.uk/coronavirus.
#HandsFaceSpace
Trending
Salford City FC have signed an exciting Under-20 World Cup winner on loan
Danny Jones
Salford City FC have quietly done arguably one of the best little bits of business this summer with their new signing, picking up an exciting youth forward and Under-20 World Cup winner on loan.
Announced this week, 21-year-old striker Nicolás Siri has joined Salford City on a season-long loan deal from Montevideo City Torque.
That same season, he scored 10 goals in a total of 30 games across all competitions, before going on to play his first minutes in Europe last term – and now he’s getting a first taste of English football.
Siri, who began impressing at an early age as part of the under-15s national team, began his club career at Danubio FC in 2020.
Joining Montevideo a year later, he secured a loan move to Belgian side Lommel SK, scoring twice in just 10 appearances, becoming a first-team starter.
After being scouted by Salford, who are hoping to have a resurgent campaign, with co-owner Gary Neville targeting promotion to the Championship over the next few years, he is one of several signings made in this ambitious transfer window.
Taking the number 27 shirt, he’s made his first cameo against Cheltenham Town, being subbed on in the 67th minute as the Ammies went on to score a late equaliser thanks to a Kadeem Harris header in the 93rd minute of stoppage time.
Speaking of numbers and stats, Siri boasts a very impressive one; he’s in good company with it, too.
Sitting down with club media after his arrival at the Peninsula Stadium on Thursday, the youngster said: “I’m pleased to be here and I can’t wait to start playing. I’m a player who likes running into space, who constantly tries to hit the target and looking to score as much as I can.
“Lommel was a great opportunity, I really enjoyed it, and it helped me prepare for my next career step in Europe. I believe being here is a great opportunity that I am going to make the most out of, and that I am going to enjoy.
“If you do well at this level, you can set yourself up to have a great career. That’s my goal, and that is what I want to achieve here.”
He speaks with plenty of sense for his age. You can see his first full interview in Salford red down below.
A new music showcase is taking place at a beautiful and historic Stockport venue
Danny Jones
A new live showcase is coming to Stockport town centre as part of a wider music, art and cultural celebration next month.
And by new, we mean the artists; if you went to the last edition, you’ll know it delivers some serious talent.
Teaming up with the likes of Manchester-based music magazine and promoters, The Rodeo, as well as ticketing platform Skiddle, Stockport is set to welcome the return of Mercury Climbing Festival.
This week-long celebration of music, art and culture around parts of the Greater Manchester borough’s historic old town, and there are some exciting names on board already.
As for Mercury Climbing 2025 itself, the multi-day festival spread across several locations boasts the best in native and Northern music, visual arts, and comedy.
Popping up across a total of eight different spaces, including the likes of the brand-new Stockroom, pubs, and headline music venue St Mary’s Church – quietly one of the coolest places we’ve ever seen a gig – you have plenty of reason to be excited about this one.
Speaking of St Mary’s, while artists such as local legends Badly Drawn Boy, Manc indie outfit The Covasettes and Riding The Low – fronted by actor Paddy Considine – are set to play the stunning ceremonial space, The Rodeo is also hosting its own dedicated stage at the church.
Highlighting emerging new talent on Saturday, 20 September, Manchester-based solo indie project Better Joy is set to headline, with Denver County Council (who featured on our Manc artists of the month round-up), Henry Webb-Jenkins, Katie & the Bad Sign, plus more to be announced in support.
The last time we saw a ‘Live at St Mary’s’ event, we can’t stress this enough: it was nothing short of an unforgettable experience.
You don’t get to enjoy a ‘religious’ gig experiences like this often…
Taking place from Friday, 19-26 September, the festival as a whole will transform Stockport’s historic Old Town into a vibrant cultural hub.
And it isn’t just music: there are local food and drink traders getting involved, artwork from the one and only Stanley Chow, as well as plenty of other entertainment.
Above all else, the event is not only steeped in SK and Greater Manchester’s rich heritage, but it’s a great way of supporting new art coming out of the region.
The Rodeo’s St Mary’s stage gets underway from 4pm and is scheduled to finish at 10:30pm, but the wider Mercury Climbing programme is an all-day festival that won’t end until late. You can grab your tickets right HERE.