fbpx
Fresh warning reminds dog owners about ‘poisonous’ conkers and acorns, The Manc

Fresh warning reminds dog owners about ‘poisonous’ conkers and acorns

The UK’s leading animal welfare charity Blue Cross has warned of the “hidden hazards”.

Dog owners across Greater Manchester are being reminded of the dangers of conkers and acorns now autumn is here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Now that temperatures are dropping and the leaves are falling, the UK’s leading animal welfare charity Blue Cross has issued a fresh warning for dog owners to keep in mind when they’re out and about with their four-legged friends over the next couple of months.

Owners are urged to be vigilant as conkers and acorns can not only be poisonous to dogs, but can also become lodged in their throat or intestines.

Alison Thomas – Head of Veterinary Services at Blue Cross – explained: “Many dog owners do not realise that these iconic symbols of autumn can make dogs very sick, in some cases even deadly.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Encouraging your dog to play with conkers is dangerous and can lead to tragic circumstances.

“Be vigilant on walks to make sure they aren’t picking them up or playing with them.

“Keep them on a lead around conkers and acorns if you aren’t 100% sure they would come back to you when called.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Fresh warning reminds dog owners about ‘poisonous’ conkers and acorns, The Manc
Owners are urged to be vigilant as conkers and acorns can be poisonous to dogs / Credit: PublicDomainPictures

To best keep things on the safe side, owners are urged not to throw conkers and acorns for their dogs to catch, as any lockages caused by these hidden hazards may require pups to undergo surgery to get them removed, and if they manage to chew and eat conkers and acorns, it will likely cause vomiting and diarrhoea too.

So, what are the warning signs? What should dog owners be looking out for?

Signs of poisoning from conkers and acorns include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, restlessness with discomfort, and pain or loss of appetite, and it’s important to keep an eye on your pet as signs of illness usually show between one and six hours after ingestion.

“Contact your vet if they appear unwell after a walk where there may have been conkers or acorns,” the Blue Cross advises.

ADVERTISEMENT

You can find more information via the Blue Cross website.

Featured Image – Pxfuel

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts