A number of prominent UK chain restaurants have already signed up to take part in the Government’s new ‘Eat Out To Help Out’ scheme beginning on August 1.
The Eat Out to Help Out scheme is part of Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak’s #PlanForJobsannounced last week.
The scheme, which will run on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from Monday 3rd August – Monday 31st August 2020, will see restaurants and pubs in England offer a 50% discount up to a maximum of £10 per head as a way of encouraging diners to eat at their establishments.
There is no limit to the number of times that members of the public can use the offer during the period of the scheme, but customers cannot get a discount for someone who is not eating or drinking.
Alcohol and service charges will also be excluded from the offer.
ADVERTISEMENT
To support restaurants and the people who work in them we’re saying ‘Eat Out to Help Out’.
So for the month of August we will give you a 50% reduction, up to £10 per head, on sit-down meals and non-alcoholic drinks Monday-Wednesday. #PlanForJobspic.twitter.com/D6eznIDjqC
Plenty of popular chain restaurants, pubs and fast food establishments across the UK – many of which have branches in the Greater Manchester area – have already signed up to take part in the scheme.
Here is everything we know about the eateries currently set to take part:
ADVERTISEMENT
All Bar One – The owner of the restaurant and bar chain, which has locations on King Street in Manchester city centre and the Trafford Centre has confirmed the intent to take part in the scheme. It of course will not apply to alcoholic drinks, but if you’re just grabbing a bite to eat, or fancy a soft drink, you can get 50% off up to £10 a person.
Browns – The same rules as above will apply at Brown’s, which has a branch in Manchester city centre on York Street, meaning all food and soft drinks will be half price up to £10 a head, Monday – Wednesday, in August.
Burger King – Alasdair Murdoch, CEO at Burger King UK & Ireland, said that the fast food chain will be signing up to the scheme almost as soon as it was announced. Speaking on the BBC’s Coronavirus Newscast podcast, he said: “We’ll certainly be embracing it, as long as we can understand the terms and conditions and work them out.”
Frankie & Benny’s – The American-Italian restaurant chain, which has recently announced permanent closure of a number of branches nationwide but still has outlets in Greater Manchester, told media outlets it will be knocking 50% off the bill up to £10 each in August.
Find out more on the Frankie & Benny’s website here.
ADVERTISEMENT
Harvester – Mitchells & Butlers, the firm behind the Harvester restaurant chain – which has a number of branches throughout Greater Manchester – said it is planning on registering with the scheme for August.
Nando’s – Fans of the ever-popular chicken chain restaurant, which has plenty of outlets open across the city centre and Greater Manchester, will be able to get their peri-peri fix at half-price too in August as Nando’s has confirmed it would be registering for the scheme.
Pizza Hut – Pizza Hut has confirmed it will be getting involved, and will have more than 100 restaurants open for dine-in customers across the UK within the next week.
Prezzo – Italian chain restaurant Prezzo, which has Greater Manchester locations at MediaCityUK and in Bolton, confirmed to media outlets that it is planning to get involved in the scheme in August.
Toby Carvery – Another brand run by Mitchells & Butlers, Toby Carvery – which announced new operational plans for reopening to customers last month – will also be offering 50% off food up to £10 a head on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in August.
Wagamama – The popular Asian cuisine chain restaurant, with a number of outlets in Greater Manchester, will be taking part in the Eat Out to Help Out scheme, and the Rishi Sunak himself was even spotted helping to serve Wagamama’s customers shortly after making the announcement.
Stockport County’s Christmas dinner in a cup returns for 2025 as part of new festive food range
Danny Jones
We can’t believe it’s rolled around again already, but with the festive period well underway and the big day just a few weeks away, Stockport County have brought back their viral ‘Xmas dinner in a cup’for 2025.
Better still, the County Courtyard has seen some new Christmas specials added to its food menu, too.
The local football club are absolutely flying in League One at the moment, having spent plenty of time at the top of the table already and still well and truly contesting those promotion/play-off spots.
If you’re a Stopfordian, that’s plenty of cause for celebration right there, but with the Christmas dinner in a cup also up for grabs once more, the holiday season literally couldn’t taste any better right now.
For those who’ve never seen it before, it’s exactly what it says on the tin – well, cup: a little Sunday dinner in a County-branded takeaway coffee cup, complete with a healthy pour of gravy and pretty much all the trimmings you could hope for.
Yes, including sprouts, because all of you who still don’t touch them need to grow up already.
Currently priced at just £4.50, not only does it contain virtually all the major food groups (barring the customary matchday pints, of course), it might just be one of the healthiest and best value-for-money bits of footy scran around – certainly in Greater Manchester, anyway.
But, as mentioned, that’s not all this year; Stockport are also serving up the new festive hot dog and even a ‘leftover Christmas curry’ in a bowl, which might even be more warming on a cold night at Edgeley Park than the Xmas dinner in a cup or clinging onto a flask of Bovril.
Anyone else craving that curry with a cheeky bit of bubble and squeak now?
It’s also worth noting that you’ll only be able to get one of those on Boxing Day, by the way, when the Hatters host Lincoln City in the league.
As for the rest of it, County fans can get their hands on this seasonal scran for the first time this year at the weekend when Dave Challinor’s side take on Barnsley at 12:30pm, and two of the three specials will then be served at home every game over the holiday period.
Speaking of random Christmas food creations, there’s another limited-time-only and potentially divisive example that we’ll also be sampling this December…
Aldi has launched the world’s first lickable pigs in blankets wrapping paper… for some reason
Emily Sergeant
Aldi has launched its latest Christmas creation, and this one’s arguably wackier than anything else it’s brought out before.
There’s absolutely no denying that pigs in blankets are a staple of festive feasting, with millions of the little delicacies consumed throughout the UK each Christmas, but have you ever wished you could turn the taste of those pigs in blankets into a lickable wrapping paper to wrap all this year’s gifts in? Yeah probably not… Aldi‘s made it though.
It’s anticipated that more than 561 million pigs in blankets are going to be eaten over the festive period, new research has found, which is an average of 10 per person.
But if you just can’t bare to leave the taste of pigs in blankets behind, Aldi’s new wrapping paper is set to give shoppers a fun and tasty twist when it comes to gift-giving.
The limited-edition wrapping paper is inspired by Aldi’s very-own range of pigs in blankets, and is described as capturing the smoky, savoury flavour and smell of the festive treat, with stickers that peel back to reveal a truly unique ‘lickable’ experience.
Aldi has launched the world’s first lickable pigs in blankets wrapping paper / Credit: Simon Jacobs/PA Wire (via Aldi UK)
Not only does the novelty wrapping paper taste and smells like pigs in blankets, it also looks the part on presents too with its pastel pink design, festive holly, and snowflake patterns.
“Pigs in Blankets are a highlight of the festive season… so we wanted to create something special to celebrate the Christmas classic,” commented Julie Ashfield, who is the Chief Commercial Officer at Aldi UK, as the new creation launches.
“This unique, lickable wrapping paper is the perfect way to spread extra joy on Christmas Day.”
Want to get your hands on it then? Unfortunately, it won’t be as simple as popping to your nearest Aldi store and picking up a roll, as with a creation as unique as this, there’s only going to be limited stock and a special shopper competition to win it.
To be in with a chance of winning, you simply need to email [email protected] with your full name before the deadline at 11:59pm on 1 December.