In a surprising announcement from the world of television and boxing, legendary fighter and Manc sporting icon Ricky Hatton has been announced as the very first contestant on the next season of Dancing on Ice.
And yes, we’d wager we’re about as surprised as you are.
Ricky Hatton fully retired from boxing back in 2012 and has been busy coaching at his gym in Hyde ever since, but did return for an exhibition match in November last year and has clearly been keeping in shape — so much so that he fancied a crack at joining the Dancing on Ice cast of 2024
Appearing on This Morning on Tuesday, 26 September, the Stockport-born bruiser confirmed that he will be taking part in the upcoming series which starts in January.
If they don’t do a routine set to the tune of ‘Blue Moon’, it’ll be us who start throwing fists.
Punching his way onto the ITV studio this morning, Hatton revealed himself as the first contestant of the hit ice-skating reality show next season, with presenter Holly Willoughby stating that she “can’t wait to get [him] in the rink” and Ricky joking, “I wish I shared your confidence”.
Explaining exactly why he said yes, the 44-year-old said, “I like setting new challenges and keeping myself busy”, acknowledging that he also struggled with retirement when he hung up his gloves.
Stressing that part of his motivation is also mental health — for which he has become an avid campaigner — he insisted that “keeping active and doing things that are positive” isn’t just something he is striving for but believes that others should take note of.
Admitting that there aren’t many adventures quite as new as taking on Dancing on Ice in front of millions of viewers watching back home, ‘Hitman’ said, “If I can hold my nerve in the boxing ring I should be able to hold my nerve in the ice rink.”
As for how well he’ll fare swapping the ring for the rink, only time will tell but he was always known for his footwork just as much as he was for his power, so we’re backing him to be a bit of a dark horse.
We can’t wait to see the Mancunian get skating, especially with him making such a concerted effort to raise awareness surrounding mental health and how keeping busy, exercising and setting yourself new challenges can have a big impact.
The Manc had the immense pleasure of chatting with Ricky a few months back ahead of the 2023 Manchester Remembers charity match, another cause he was proud to get behind. It was a joy.
Featured Image — Ricky Hatton (via Instagram/Twitter)
TV & Showbiz
Honorary Manc Ariana Grande announces huge world tour – but skips Manchester
Daisy Jackson
Ariana Grande has announced details of a huge world tour, but the honorary Mancunian will be skipping Manchester again.
The 32-year-old, Grammy Award-winning star has instead booked five nights at The O2 in London for her only UK stop on the tour.
Ariana Grande was made an honorary Mancunian back in 2017, in recognition of her work following the Manchester Arena terror attack.
She is the first person to have ever received this honour.
Since the atrocity in the city, which took the lives of 22 people, Ariana has only performed here twice more – once at the One Love concert she organised as a fundraiser for the victims and their families, and once as a headliner of Manchester Pride.
It’s been six years since her last tour, but Ariana Grande is now back, sharing details of her hotly-anticipated The Eternal Sunshine Tour next summer.
As well as her five-night residency in London, she’ll play four nights in LA and Brooklyn, as well as cities right across North America.
Ariana Grande has announced The Eternal Sunshine Tour
Her London dates will be her only European shows on The Eternal Sunshine Tour.
Eternal Sunshine was released in 2024 and was her seventh studio album, spawning singles ‘Yes, And?’, ‘We Can’t Be Friends’, and ‘The Boy Is Mine’.
Ariana Grande is now also an Academy Award and Golden Globe-nominated actress thanks to her starring role in Wicked as Glinda the Good Witch.
Tickets for her tour will go on sale from Tuesday 16 September with an artist presale as well as an O2 Priority Presale. Remaining tickets will be available during the general ons-ale beginning Thursday 18 September at 10am.
Ariana Grande – The Eternal Sunshine Tour Dates 2026
BBC needs outspoken Mancs to share their hottest TV takes in brand-new show
Emily Sergeant
Outspoken Mancs are being urged to apply to take part in a new BBC show where they share their hottest TV takes.
We all have opinions when it comes to television, right? Whether it be which show had the best and worst ending, which characters deserved better arcs, or which shows are the most underrated – you name it, someone will have an opinion on it.
Some people, however, like to broadcast or shout about their options a little louder than others do… and it’s these people the BBC is looking to speak to.
The broadcaster is currently in the process of casting for a new digital pilot called People Watching that will give people from across the UK a chance to share their hottest TV takes, straight from the comfort of their own sofa, and is looking for outspoken people from across Greater Manchester to talk the talk and take part.
The BBC needs outspoken Mancs to share their hottest TV takes in a brand-new show / Credit: CoWomen (via Pexels)
A casting call for the new show on the BBC website reads: “Subtitles on or off? What would your winning strategy be on The Traitors? And what is the most overrated show ever made?
“If you have a big personality, an interesting living room, or are part of a household group who love a binge watch – we want to hear from you.”
People Watching is being produced for the BBC by BBC Socials, which likely means it’ll be a show primarily made for online audiences.
To apply to feature on the show, you’ll need to be 18 years old or over, and you must be willing to allow the BBC to film in your home.
Applicants will need to send casting directors a short ‘expression of interest’ in the form of a paragraph or video link, telling them a bit about yourself, your favourite BBC show, and most importantly, your most controversial TV opinion.
The closing date for applications is 1 October 2025, and you can apply by sending an email to [email protected]