Man dies following incident at construction site of new Everton stadium
Work on the site has been halted.
A man has died after a fatal incident at the construction site of Everton’s new stadium at Bramley Moore Dock.
The 26-year-old male was rushed to hospital with major injuries but was pronounced dead.
Everton FC has said everyone at the club is ‘heartbroken’ by the as-yet-unnamed worker’s death on the site on Monday afternoon.
Laing O’Rourke, the contractors on the huge new stadium site, confirmed that work has been suspended while an investigation takes place.
The construction company added that it was ‘shocked and saddened’ by the tragedy. Everton said in a statement released on Twitter: “Everyone at Everton Football Club is heartbroken by the news a male worker has died following an incident at the Everton Stadium site at Bramley-Moore Dock.
“The thoughts and condolences of everyone connected with Everton are with his family, friends, and colleagues at this unimaginably sad time.
“Stadium Contractor Laing O’Rourke has immediately launched an investigation and will work with the Police and the Health and Safety Executive to establish the full details of the incident.”
Merseyside Police confirmed that reports of a 26-year-old man being injured were made at around 1pm on Monday 14 August.
The force said: “We can confirm that a man has died following an incident at Bramley Moore Dock this afternoon, Monday 14 August.
“At around 1pm it was reported that a 26-year-old man had been injured and emergency services attended the scene.
“The man was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His next of kin have been informed.
“Officers remain at the scene as we continue with the early stages of the investigation alongside the Health and Safety Executive.”
- Andy Murray restored to Great Britain’s Davis Cup squad
- Tributes pour after death of Wigan headteacher and former Olympian Helen Smart
- Weather warning issued in Greater Manchester as summer continues to suck
Laing O’Rourke’s statement reads: “We can confirm that earlier today a member of our team, who was carrying out work for one of our sub-contractors, was seriously injured in an incident. He was taken to hospital via ambulance, where he sadly died.
“We are shocked and saddened by today’s tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased man and our wider project team.
“The police and the Health and Safety Executive are on site and we have suspended work until further notice. We will cooperate fully with any investigation that follows.”
Featured Image — Everton FC (via YouTube)