Manchester Opera House has this week released revised dates for its new socially-distanced production of Sleeping Beauty this Christmas.
Following England’s second national lockdown coming to an end, and a return to the government’s new “tougher” three tiered regional system commencing – with Greater Manchester having entered into Tier 3 restrictions – Manchester Opera House has confirmed that the opening of Sleeping Beauty will be delayed.
The production – which was due to open next week – will now begin on Thursday 24th December 2020, and run until Sunday 10 January 2021.
Manchester Opera House said it is “determined to stage this wonderful production” as safely as possible.
The pantomime – which has been created especially for Manchester Opera House in this unprecedented year – will be “a riotously funny, one-act celebration of pantomime” and it’s set to be packed full of comedy and laughter to allow audience members the opportunity to come safely together and enjoy the magic of the much-loved and unique art form this festive season.
ADVERTISEMENT
Funding from The National Lottery has helped panto return to the Opera House Manchester this year.
Following the announcement that Manchester is moving to Tier 3 restrictions, we want to reassure all our Sleeping Beauty socially-distanced pantomime ticket holders that we are doing everything in our power to bring this show to our city. (1/3)
Given this wait, we must confirm that the show will need to open later than previously planned and we will share all information with bookers directly via email. Let’s stay safe, look out for each another and keep positive that we come together in 2020! (3/3)
Speaking on the release of the revised dates, Sheena Wrigley – Theatre Director of Manchester Palace & Opera House – said: “Given the downward trend of the virus in the city, and the community’s campaign for the reduction of the Tier level at the next review, we continue to be hopeful that we can stage the show this Christmas, opening a little later than planned on 24th December.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We thank all of our customers for their patience at this time as we work to get affected bookings rescheduled,
“And [we] are also grateful The National Lottery for their continued support to enable the rescheduled performances to go ahead.”
It was also announced last month that NHS staff are to be given free tickets to the opening night performance as a thank you for all their hard work during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic this year, but this has now also been rescheduled to the performance on Friday 8 January at 7pm.
ADVERTISEMENT
All original ballot entries remain valid, and winners will be contacted from 7th December.
Palace & Opera / ATG Tickets
The relaxed performance of Sleeping Beauty – has been specially adapted to allow those with autism, sensory and communication disorders, learning difficulties or anyone who would benefit from a more informal setting to enjoy the performance, comfortably – has also been rescheduled.
This will now take place on Wednesday 6 January at 1pm.
Customers will be pleased to know that there are no changes to the originally-announced cast and can expect to see Salford-born comedian Jason Manford as Muddles, alongside Blackpool’s own Jodie Prenger as The Enchantress, Billy Pearce as King Billy, Eric Potts as The Queen, Jenny Gaynor as Carabosse, Louis Gaunt as The Prince, and Sarah Goggin as Princess Beauty.
Aside from free / discounted eligibility, ticket prices start from £13 per person.
ADVERTISEMENT
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Manchester Opera House’s capacity is being reduced by 50%, there’ll be staggered arrival times and one way systems in place, with sanitising stations placed around the venue, and deep cleaning taking place between every performance.
You can grab your tickets and find more information here.
What's On
Vintage fashion sale to pop up in Greater Manchester with all proceeds going to charity
Emily Sergeant
A sustainable vintage fashion shop and kilo sale is popping up in a Greater Manchester town in a couple of days time.
And all the proceeds will go to a very-worthy charity.
Merely weeks after the UK’s largest vintage market descended on the iconic Victoria Baths in Manchester city centre, another sustainable fashion event will be popping up in one of the region’s popular shopping centres for the month.
British Heart Foundation will be hosting a brand-new pop-up shop and vintage kilo sale, where you can buy clothing and other goods at a fixed price per kilogram, in Stretford town centre.
Opening its doors this Saturday (5 April), the charity will be taking over the vacant unit that’s next door to JD Sports to provide the Stretford community with a charity shop filled with all sorts of vintage goods and thrifty finds.
Visitors will be able to sift through shelves stacked with major brands at bargain prices, making it the perfect way to sustainably stock up on wardrobe staples and revamp ready for spring.
A vintage fashion sale is popping up in a Greater Manchester town centre with all proceeds going to charity / Credit: Supplied
All proceeds from the pop-up shop will go directly to the British Heart Foundation, helping to fund vital research into cures and treatments for heart and circulatory diseases, so whether you’re a fashion lover, an avid bargain hunter, or you simply just want to support a good cause, you know where to head on down to.
Running right through until 19 April, this venture is set to be a massively-valuable new addition to Stretford town centre.
The British Heart Foundation pop-up store will be open on Mondays – Saturdays from 10am-4pm, and on Sundays from 10am-3:30pm.
Featured Image – Supplied
What's On
Manchester’s new £2.5m indoor activity park is offering 50% off tickets over half term
Emily Sergeant
Greater Manchester’s newly-opened indoor activity park is offering families the chance to visit for half price this spring holidays.
In case you missed it, Salford was chosen by Oxygen Activeplay as the location for its next venture, an officially opened the doors to its newest state-of-the-art equipment facility above bustling food hall Kargo MKT, inside the former site of I’m a Celebrity Jungle Challenge down at Quayside MediaCity in mid February.
Since opening to the public, Oxygen MediaCity has already been helping lots of local families stay active and have fun at the same time.
Following a £2.5 million investment, the new park features more than 30 trampolines, a mega-air bag, a high ropes course, a ‘Rollglider’ aerial ride which flies over the facility, and Oxygen’s signature illuminated sensory experience ‘Excite Tunnel’, along with even more “epic” activities.
A series of optional games and dance parties are also on offer during each play session, and the new Manchester park also hosts ‘Peaceful Play’ sessions designed for neurodivergent guests, who prefer a calmer and quieter playing environment, as well as there being a ‘Toddler Venture Zone’.
A cafe serving drinks, snacks, and meals also overlooks the park, so once you’re all bounced out, you can recharge with a full feast from the new menu before heading home.
Manchester’s new £2.5m indoor activity park is offering 50% off tickets over half term / Credit: Jamie McPhilimey
And thankfully, once schools are out for the spring holidays in a couple of weeks time, families can get themselves one of Oxygen at MediaCity’s Easter Holiday Pass, which gives pass holders the chance to visit the park on any five days of the two-week break – including on weekends and bank holidays – for 60 minutes of ‘Open Play’.
For a limited time only, you can save some pennies and take advantage of a half price offer and get your hands on an Easter Holidays Pass for only £30.