A local mum has launched a petition to fight for sentencing increases after her son was “killed by a drink driver” back in 2019.
It was Sunday 16th June 2019 when Paula Johnson received the phone call that changed her life.
A call from a police officer informing her that her only son, Kristian, had been killed after being hit by a car while out with friends in Bacup.
Kristian was raising a Father’s Day glass to his late dad – who had died suddenly when he was teenager – and was said to have told his friends that evening that after years of struggling to come terms his dad’s death, he felt that he could finally move on, but after taking a taxi to the Texaco petrol station in Bacup, Kristian was struck by drink-driver while crossing the road.
He suffered fatal head injuries and sadly died at the scene.
ADVERTISEMENT
The driver of the car, 19-year-old Emily Rogers, had been drinking alcohol at two pubs prior to getting behind the wheel of her Suzuki Alto.
But despite the loss of life and devastation caused, Rogers was only sentenced to three years in jail, of which she is serving 18 months and disqualified from driving for 54 months. She can expect to be released from prison after serving half her sentence – 18 months – and spend the remainder on licence in the community.
It was this very decision that served as the catalyst for Paula Johnson’s mission to make a change.
ADVERTISEMENT
Paula Johnson
Paula, 54, told the MEN that her “life is over” following the loss of Kristian.
But the grieving mum now wants to highlight what she views as “inconsistencies in sentences” given to those who have committed driving offences, which is why she has launched a petition calling for the UK government to increase the maximum penalty to life sentences for ‘Death By Careless & Dangerous Driving’.
She believes that those convicted should serve a minimum of 15 years.
On launching the official UK Government and Parliament Petition, Paula said: “Kristian’s killer was convicted of causing death by ‘Careless Driving’ rather than ‘Dangerous Driving’ – a crime which carries a maximum sentence of just five years.
“18 months in prison is not justice for killing someone and is unlikely to deter future drink-driving [and] the sentence does not fit the crime.
ADVERTISEMENT
“The impact to the lives of the victim’s family is incomprehensible and a sentence of 18 months further damages the family. Kristian was 24, of good health and should have had a full life ahead of him [but] instead, it was cut tragically short.
“We are asking the government to increase the maximum penalty to life sentences for death by careless driving as they promised in October 2017 and those convicted should serve a minimum of 15 years”.
Paula Johnson
The petition has now over 13,300 signatures and counting, with Paula urging members of the local community, and across Greater Manchester and beyond join in helping make a difference.
She is already awaiting a government response following the petition surpassing the 10,000 signatures mark, but the goal is to reach 100,000 signatures, which will then see this petition “considered for debate in Parliament”.
The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has previously said that sentencing is a matter for independent courts who consider the facts of each case, with a spokesperson adding that a landmark White Paper – which was announced last September – will ensure that offenders who cause loss of life by careless driving, while under the influence of drink or drugs, could also face life in prison.
ADVERTISEMENT
In addition, a new offence of causing serious injury by careless driving is set to be created, with the MoJ saying that the new offence “seeks to ensure that careless drivers who ruin lives and leave their victims with long-term injuries are punished appropriately.”.
The proposed law changes would increase the maximum penalty for causing death by dangerous driving from 14 years to life, and create a new offence of causing serious injury by careless driving, as well as also increasing the maximum penalty for causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs from 14 years to life.
But with the proposals first mooted three years ago, Paula wants to see a timeline for the legislation and is fighting for change to be brought about sooner rather than later.
___
The Kristian Johnson’s Law petition is due to end on 17th February 2021, and you can sign and support the cause here.
News
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
AJ Tracey is playing a VERY intimate gig in Manchester next month
Thomas Melia
London rapper and respected grime artist AJ Tracey is ‘live and direct’ once again, announcing a whole host of UK dates, one of which is a rather intimate gig right here in Manchester.
It’s official: one of UK rap’s leading gents is getting back on the road and he’s showing a ‘Little More Love’ to lots of cities, including Manchester.
In a post on the UK star’s socials, AJ Tracey trades his music persona for that of a sports pundit as he announces the dates for his upcoming tour while impersonating an F1 commentator.
Anyone looking to attend Tracey’s ‘Not Even A Tour’ can catch the star up and down the country on his over 20-date tour with a stop in Manchester as soon as this month.
The rapper has reached phenomenal heights since dropping the unforgettable ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 2019 and is heading out across the nation to make sure everyone knows about it.
Get ready to spit bars left and right as this rapper’s discography is stacked with serious tunes like ‘Dinner Guest’, ‘West Ten’, ‘Thiago Silva’ and more.
More recently, he collaborated with Walsall’s finest Jorja Smith for a flirty garage beat also known as ‘Crush’ with the video being the two artists talking it out in a good old fashioned caff.
The latest collaboration with Smith marks the start of a new era for Mr. Live and direct as it fell in line with the announcement of his third studio album.
Titled Don’t Die Before You’re Dead, we’re sure he’ll be “building a vibe” wherever he goes and probably previewing a few exclusive tracks from his upcoming project too.
This gig may come as quite a surprise for any hardcore fans of the ‘Ladbroke Grove’ star as the venue in which he’s performing is definitely intimate only, holding just over 250 guests.
This rap giant is bringing his unbelievable beats to none other than the legendary small-cap city centre live music venue, The Deaf Institute, at the end of this month.
It’s safe to say you won’t get many more chances, if any, to see him in such a tight-knit space again.
AJ Tracey is bringing ‘Not Even A Tour’ to Deaf Institute in Manchester on 30 April, with tickets on sale Friday 4 April from 12 noon.