As the weather starts to improve, many bar owners in Manchester are looking to extend their outside seating into the road once again – but one is claiming that its applications have been both refused and ignored by the Council.
Whilst the likes of Common and The Bay Horse Tavern are unpacking their drop-leaf tables for another summer serving in the street, Alvarium – just around the corner on Dorsey Street – is feeling significantly left out without a confirmed road closure of its own.
This week, its owners have issued an impassioned plea to be granted more outside seating – explaining that “last summer this extension meant we survived, and we were able to protect our staff against redundancies, an important priority for us.”
The bar said it was ‘still struggling’ and that having extra space last year meant they could ‘absorb some of the economic shock’ from the fallout of the pandemic.
Turning their ire on Manchester City Council in a fervent social media post, owners claimed that they had already been ‘given the green light’ but that Council bosses had suddenly ‘revoked the grant […] with no grounds or reason’ and ignored further appeals.
ADVERTISEMENT
Image: Alvarium
The post continued: “The council approved Piccadilly Cycle Lane which pedestrianised Thomas St and Stevenson Square however, Edge St (which can be seen in the third photo) was not included in these plans, yet the bars and restaurants have still been granted access to the road.
“By comparison our road Dorsey St, a double yellow lined cul-de-sac, has been denied with no grounds or reason.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The bar also said that it had since had ‘no response from the Council or our local MP’, adding ‘our faith in being listened to is fading’.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Manchester City Council told The Manc that the only official correspondence MCC has had with the premises in question dates to March 16, 2022.
They explained that the reason the road closures have been granted in other areas, but not Dorsey Street, is due to the ending of emergency Covid legislation that ‘allowed the Council to expedite road closures and provide temporary licences for premises wanting to trade outside.’
Now, in order for a business to trade on the street/road, a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) or Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) must be in place.
Businesses are, at a cost, able to apply for a licence to trade on the street/road and this process (unlike the temporary scheme legislation now revoked by Parliament) also requires a full consultation and planning consent.
They added that, in regard to Edge Street and Thomas Street and Stevenson Square, businesses are able to continue trading as there is an existing TRO in place to facilitate the PicVic cycling route (the planning for which predated the pandemic).
Image: Alvarium
A spokesperson for Manchester City Council said: “During the first year of the Covid-19 pandemic laws were brought in by the Government which allowed the Council to expedite road closures and provide temporary licences for premises wanting to trade outside.
ADVERTISEMENT
“This was vital in allowing the Council to expedite planning and licensing law in order to save countless businesses that would not have been able to trade due to Covid restrictions.
“However, the temporary powers granted to the Council were revoked by Parliament and can no longer be used more expeditiously support businesses who want to install outdoor seating that required a road closure. General applications for road closures and permanent outside seating licences would have to be directed to the Council’s Highways Department, as was the case before the pandemic.”
Alvarium’s owners, however, maintain that ‘the consequences could be detrimental’ if they are not granted a road closure this summer. Pressure continues to build as other Manchester hospitality businesses, such as Black Milk, are now joining the call for businesses to have more outdoor seating.
Black Milk owner Andy Young has this morning set up a petition to reintroduce the act that allows roads to be temporarily or partially closed to traffic for outdoor seating introduced in response to COVID in 2020 and 2021, so we expect we have not seen the last of this debate yet.
Feature image- Alvarium
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”