Manchester’s twice Michelin-recommended Indian restaurant Asha’s has been closed since Christmas, but now, after five months, it’s revealed plans to reopen – with a swanky new hotel and bar upstairs.
The award-winning restaurant was sold to Kro Hospitality, which also owns Velvet Hotel in the Gay Village, in 2018 following the purchase of the freehold of the grade II-listed 47 Peter Street.
It reopened sporadically throughout the pandemic when it could, but has been shut since the end of last year whilst renovation work was taking place upstairs.
Now, its new owners have revealed plans to reopen the restaurant, alongside a brand new luxury hotel and bar, in Manchester this summer.
Image: Supplied
Image: Asha’s
Image: Asha’s
The glitzy new hotel, named Forty-Seven in acknowledgement of its Peter Street address, looks set to feature some of the plushest suites in the city.
ADVERTISEMENT
Opulently decorated and designed for the ultimate comfort, in total it boasts 32 bedrooms – including a range of duplex and signature suites.
The reopening will also reveal the new Peterman bar, which promises a fine selection of cocktails, wines and beers – all designed with the stories of Petersfield and the Suffragettes in mind.
ADVERTISEMENT
The new bar will take centre stage in the former Bollibar, underneath Asha’s restaurant.
The new bar will take centre stage in the former Bollibar, underneath Asha’s restaurant. / Image: Asha’s Manchester
Asha’s restaurant has been a mainstay on Peter Street for over seven years, featuring in the Michelin Guide in 2017 and 2018.
ADVERTISEMENT
Asha’s has had an award-winning past with both local and national awards, including ‘British Curry Awards – Best Restaurant Outside London’ in 2019 and 2021 – only missing out on 2020 due to the pandemic.
Both the Manchester restaurant and the new hotel and bar are expected to open on Peter Street this summer.
Image: Asha’s Manchester
Speaking ahead of the openings, Kim Eivind Krohn, owner of KRO Hospitality, said: “We’re delighted to announce the latest update on our recent venture to create a new, exciting and extravagant hotel in the heart of Manchester’s vibrant Peter Street, which is home to popular venues including our very own Asha’s Restaurant, which will be reopening in our new hotel, ‘Forty-Seven’”.
Kro Hospitality’s other city centre venue, Velvet Hotel, Bar and Brasserie, is currently undergoing an extension of the Hotel to create an additional 18 bedrooms that will offer elegant luxury.
Feature image – Asha’s
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.