News
You can now apply for grants of up to £40,000 to improve or create green spaces in Manchester
Applications for the £2.6 million Greater Manchester Green Spaces Fund are now live.
Communities right across Greater Manchester can now apply for grants of up to £40,000 to improve or create local green spaces in their area.
Mayor Andy Burnham announced that applications for the Greater Manchester Green Spaces Fund are now live when he spoke at the Marking the Decarbonisation Summit event at the Science and Industry Museum earlier this week.
The new £2.6 million scheme is all about “supporting community-led projects” that increase the amount and quality of accessible and nature-rich green space throughout the region, particularly in the areas where residents may need it most, according to Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA).
It gives small grants to communities to improve local green spaces or create new ones.
“Local green spaces are such an important part of our efforts to improve the environment, support local wildlife and offer local people a great place to live,” Andy Burnham said.
“Everyone should have access to high-quality green spaces, regardless of where they live, and I’m pleased we’re able to launch this scheme which will further support our ambitions for a greener and fairer future.”
GMCA says that projects undertaken with the funding grants should improve accessible spaces through physical improvements to make them better places for nature and people, and says that these projects could take place in parks, community gardens, streets, schools, housing estates, canals/streams/rivers, and existing nature reserves.
There are two types of grants available – grants up to £10,000, and grants between £10,000 and £40,000.
Read more: New long-term project launched to bring more green spaces to Manchester city centre
Cllr Neil Emmott – Lead for Green City Region and Waste & Recycling – also said: “Improving and maintaining local green spaces can go such a long way in not only improving air quality and carbon levels, but it’s also great for social and mental wellbeing.
“Through our Green Spaces Fund, people across the whole of our region can now apply for grants to improve or create new green spaces in their area.”
Mr Burnham also reiterated during his address earlier this week how serious Greater Manchester is about “making the changes needed” so that the city region can reach the ambitious target of becoming a carbon neutral by 2038.
Read more: Manchester City Council to spend £6m on cutting carbon emissions from seven local buildings
He said the new Greater Manchester Green Spaces Fund will help our region to be “a greener and fairer place” for everyone.
You can find more information and apply for grants of up to £40,000 here.
Featured Image – Kitera Dent (via Unsplash)
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Read more
Featured image: GMP
News
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
According to new guidance published online this afternoon, disposable barbecues pose a ‘significant risk to the public’ due to the current heatwave conditions.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
Read more:
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”
Featured Image – Dom (via Unsplash)