Tributes having been pouring in after it was revealed that legendary Manchester DJ St Allan has sadly passed away.
The producer and dance DJ was a famous name and a fan-favourite on the 1990s rave scene in our city, and previously worked for Piccadilly Radio and Key 103 in Manchester throughout the 80s and 90s, as well as being ranked as the third-best DJ in the world by DJ Magazine in 1993.
Stu was diagnosed with cancer and had been battling the illness for almost a year before he died on Thursday (22 September).
Announcing his passing, a statement posted by Stu’s team to his Facebook page yesterday reads: “It is with much sadness that we write this message to let you know that Stu has passed away today. As you know, he has been ill for a while now, and has been battling cancer for almost a year, and while we’re so sad he is no longer with us, we are relieved he is finally at peace, after his illness.
“We will be holding a memorial event in Stu’s memory sometime soon, where we can all celebrate his amazing life.
ADVERTISEMENT
“But for now Alison, Paul, Gary and Stu’s family need time to come to terms with their loss.”
The late DJ’s team also encouraged music lovers to leave their tributes in the comments, say how they knew Stu, and share what memories they have of him.
ADVERTISEMENT
British DJ Carl Cox lead the thousands of tributes left on Thursday night.
He wrote: “I am so very sorry to hear this news today. His name is Stu Allan. We have lost one of my heroes and a shining light of the Rave scene he helped build. Never forget. My condolences goes out to his family and friends.”
Rowetta also shared a tribute on Instagram: “Loved my mixtapes in the 90s & more recently being on the same lineup at Bowlers. RIP Stu Allan.”
ADVERTISEMENT
DJ and broadcaster Justin Robertson wrote on Twitter: “I’m shocked to hear of the death of Stu Allan. He introduced me to more amazing music than I can remember. His Bus Diss and His seamless House shows were my introduction to the sound of hip hop and house. Impeccable selector and inspiration. RIP Stu.”
I’m shocked to hear of the death of @stu_allan . He introduced me to more amazing music than I can remember. His Bus Diss and His seamless House shows were my introduction to the sound of hip hop and house. Impeccable selector and inspiration. RIP Stu 😔
Very sad. Stu Allan is the first radio DJ I heard play rap, house, r&b and rave music from the mid-1980s onwards. Those of us who listened to Piccadilly and Key 103 were privileged to hear such a pioneer. He had a great deep voice for radio. Some comedy catchphrases, too. https://t.co/CTp24JYi6C
Absolutely gutted about the passing of @stu_allan. He was my inspiration to be a DJ. I got fake ID when I was 15 to see him play & I listened to his Key 103 shows religiously. They say never meet you heroes but with Stu that wasn’t true. RIP Stu and thoughts with your family x pic.twitter.com/HLRo0bXjwT
Writer and journalist John Berwin said on Twitter: “Very sad. Stu Allan is the first radio DJ, I heard play rap, house, r&b and rave music from the mid-1980s onwards. Those of us who listened to Piccadilly and Key 103 were privileged to hear such a pioneer. He had a great deep voice for radio. Some comedy catchphrases, too.”
KISS FM radio DJ Anton Powers said: “Absolutely gutted about the passing of Stu Allan.
“He was my inspiration to be a DJ. I got fake ID when I was 15 to see him play & I listened to his Key 103 shows religiously. They say never meet you heroes but with Stu that wasn’t true. RIP Stu and thoughts with your family.”
DJ Anne Savage wrote: “So very sad to hear the news about Stu. Deepest condolensces to his family and friends. Such an inspiration to me as a young DJ and a role model throughout my life since. What a gent on and off the decks. Rest in peace Stu.”
ADVERTISEMENT
DJ Mark Breeze also shared a tribute: “My thoughts go to Stu’s family and friends on hearing the very sad news today.”
Legendary Manchester DJ St Allan has sadly passed away following a year-long battle with cancer / Credit: Spencer Cameron Photography (via DJ Stu Allan – Facebook)
As well as famous names from the music scene, thousands of fans and people who appreciated Stu’s work over the years have taken to social media to share their heartfelt tributes and memories.
“Without Stu and his early house music hour in the 80’s I don’t think I would have become so passionate about this music or made a life from it. I owe him a lot, we became friends and I constantly let him know that. I am so very sad you are gone mate. Heartbroken,” Mark Egee wrote on Facebook.
Another fan wrote: “Absolutely gutted. Grew up taping his Key 103 shows and listening to them the next day on my Walkman at school.
“Defined the music I’ve always listened to until the present day on OSN radio.”
Another fan shared on Twitter: “So sad to hear about the passing of an absolute HERO of mine and many others, Stu Allan. Such an inspiration in so many ways, DJ Producer and Radio DJ championing happy hardcore right from the birth.
“And not to mention genuinely one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.”
“RIP Stu Allan – You were one of the very best, so much so that I don’t know any DJ that didn’t look up to you or didn’t listen to you on Key 103 growing up, you were such an inspiration to us all,” another devestated fan wrote on Twitter.
One of the Premier League’s best-ever players and a true Manchester City legend, Kevin De Bruyne, has confirmed he will soon be leaving the club.
Announced in a series of emotional social media posts on Friday, 4 April, the brilliant Belgian footballer will be calling time on his career at the Etihad Stadium shirt at the end of this season.
Having spent a decade in the iconic blue of Man City, De Bruyne will undoubtedly go down as one of their all-time greats, having helped them to their first Champions League trophy during the Treble-winning year and a record four consecutive Premier League titles, of which he’s won six in total.
As you can see in the lengthy message shared on his social media, ‘King Kev’ informed supporters that this current campaign will be his last, writing: “Every story comes to an end, but this has definitely been the best chapter.”
The 33-year-old, who has suffered from increasing injury problems over the last couple of years, goes on to say that “Nothing about this is easy to write, but as football players we all know this day eventually come. That day is here – and you deserve to hear it from me first.”
In what is clearly a heartfelt and just as difficult a post for him to write as it is for fans to hear, he added: Football led me to all of you – and this city […] This will always be our HOME.”
Blues all over Greater Manchester and beyond will be heartbroken, but many won’t be completely shocked given his in-and-out
Speaking as part of a lengthy club statement shortly after the announcement, manager Pep Guardiola said: “In the Premier League he is one of the greatest midfielders in this country and top of the Club. Great, if not the greatest.
Manchester City will bid an emotional farewell to Kevin De Bruyne this summer when his contract expires, bringing an end to a glittering 10-year period at the Club 🩵
Although his talent will never come into question, it’s no secret that he’s struggled to stay fit and be as prolific a creator in Guardiola‘s side – though this is largely in contrast to his ridiculously high levels and just how much of a talisman he has been over the past 10 years.
Starting just 19 matches this season, he’s still managed to score four goals and register seven assists, but a recurring hamstring problem has seen game time limited.
Regardless, when he’s at his best, there’s no question about it: he’s the best player in the Premier League and the club have promised to pay fitting tributes to the
With 106 goals to his name in 413 appearances – the first midfielder since Colin Bell to reach over a century – across all competitions for City, not to mention 118 assists in the Premier League alone, he’s been one of the most creative and, frankly, ingenious players on the planet for more than a decade.
Whether you’re a Blue, a Red or otherwise, no one can deny the joy of watching him play football. Thanks for the memories, KdB.
The regeneration plans being put forward for Prestwich have taken another step forward as a construction company has new been appointed to bring the vision of a new village centre to life.
With full planning permission for phase one of the redevelopment granted back in July 2024, it’s been pretty much full speed ahead on lining up one of Greater Manchester’s latest regeneration projects and adding more to what is already one of its best up-and-coming suburbs.
Prestwich Village Regeneration LLP are pumping over £100 million into developing the main square, and with Chroma Consulting having now passed on the baton to those erecting this new-look town centre, the joint venture between Bury Council and national ‘place maker’ Muse, work can soon begin.
You can see one of the first early renders down below:
CGIs of the new space around the Longfield Centre. (Credit: Supplied)
VINCI Building were officially appointed as construction partners last month, and with enabling works (surveys, ground investigations and so forth) now complete, the contractors are expected to get underway soon.
Additions to the vibrant new village centre will include a multi-storey Travel Hub, which will also see 301 new parking spaces, along with electric vehicle charging points, cycle storage and a car club. This will replace the Fairfax Road car park, which closed when the early stage began last December.
Beyond this, the Prestwich regeneration plans are set to include a community hub, library and flexible community space for arts and cultural events, a new Prestwich Health Centre; a fresh village square with ‘family-friendly social places’ and room for open-air markets, festivals and more.
A dedicated Prestwich Village Market hall will be the perfect place to house local retailers as well as food and drink vendors, not to mention a much better entry point into the village courtesy of plans to transform the “arrival experience from the tram” by integrating with surrounding green spaces.
Speaking of which, there will also be extensive landscaping in and around the village centre, with the existing fountain set to be removed and new public art installations created in its place.
A glimpse at the new Prestwich Village Market.An overview of all three phases.Credit: Supplied
Beyond the public spaces, over 200 new homes – which made up a big part of the initial application – are also included in the wider vision, with a mix of affordable housing and FTB (first-time buyers) properties.
Leader of Bury Council, Eamonn O’Brien, said of the latest developments: “We are thrilled to announce the next stage in this multi-million pound transformational regeneration scheme, which marks a significant step towards revitalising the heart of Prestwich Village and creating a vibrant, sustainable future for all.
“As well as enhancing local infrastructure, our ambitious plans will foster economic growth and improve the quality of life for the whole community.” A final completion date is yet to be confirmed, but work on the Travel Hub specifically is set to carry over into next year.
Exciting times are ahead for Prestwich. It’s not the only borough making plans for the next chapter and set for a bit of TLC.