News
Chaos in Argentina as fans jump on team bus, players are nearly wiped out by overhead wires and thousands surround Messi’s home
There aren't many nations who are as obsessed with football as Argentina, but this got way out of hand.
Argentina’s open-top bus parade has had to be cut short following their heroic World Cup win after numerous security concerns during the celebration thus far.
Returning home from Qatar 2022 on Tuesday, the national squad were met by an incredible reception as thousands gathered around the team plane as it landed in Buenos Aires.
However, it didn’t take long for the joyous scenes to get out of control as the victory parade began its journey through the capital and millions lining the streets began to swarm the bus in an attempt to meet their heroes.
In one rather incredible clip, multiple Argentine fans hanging from a bridge tried to jump aboard the team bus as it drove under the overpass, with one falling and having to be carried away on a stretcher.
Here it is from another angle:
There have also been reports of at least 31 injuries, numerous fights, 13 arrests and even projectiles being thrown after the parade route was apparently adjusted to try and deal with the crowds.
As if these chaotic scenes weren’t enough, concerns were already raised for the players’ safety after it became apparent that the procession route itself wasn’t the most suitable, as various streets in and around Buenos Aires area threw up obstacles.
In another video, the Argentinian players can be seen celebrating on the open-top bus when they are nearly struck by an electrical wire and have to duck their heads out of the way at the last second.
This could have ended very differently:
Given the fanaticism for football in the South American country, it came as no surprise that the bedlam soon got out of hand.
To make matters worse, a 24-year-old man is said to have sadly died after falling from a roof during the chaos and a five-year-old boy fell into a coma after a chunk of marble fell from a statue as a result of the riotous celebrations.
Not only was this Argentina’s first World Cup since 1986, when Diego Maradona helped the team lift the trophy for the second time but, like his predecessor, this was also Lionel Messi‘s first — effectively completing the set when it comes to winning everything there is to win in football.
Understandably, virtually every Argentinian would have given anything to catch a glimpse of the national hero and sporting god and literally thousands of fans turned up at his home in Rosario as the car pulled into the drive.
Read more:
In fact, Messi and his teammates only managed to return home after local police decided to cancel the remainder of the parade and airlift the players out of the capital via helicopter.
The bus was supposed to reach the Obelisk monument as its final destination but simply couldn’t make it through the ridiculously large crowd, with the estimated eight-hour festivities lasting significantly longer and said to be still continuing in some parts as authorities try to restore some order.
It is said that the city centre was packed with over five million people at its peak.
Again, these lot really, really love football.
For all the latest news, events and goings on in Greater Manchester, subscribe to The Manc newsletter HERE.
Featured Image — Various (via Twitter)
News
The ENTIRE Manchester Village Pride lineup cost £20k less to book than ONE headliner last year
Daisy Jackson
Bosses behind Manchester Village Pride have revealed that the entire lineup has cost significantly less than the amount spent on just one headliner last year.
In a statement promising transparency, organisers said that the entire weekend of artists has cost less than one single headliner from 2025.
And by some margin – £20,000.
The announcement comes less than a year after the previous Manchester Pride organisation entered voluntary liquidation amid rising costs, declining ticket sales and an ‘ambitious refresh’ of the festival format.
That refresh included moving the main music portion of the annual LGBTQ+ celebration away from the Gay Village itself, and over to Depot Mayfield.
The collapse of Manchester Pride followed reports that performers from the 2025 event were still waiting to be paid, with entertainment union Equity later saying its members were more than £70,000 out of pocket.
Manchester Village Pride was subsequently established as a not-for-profit Community Interest Company, with organisers promising a more community-focused approach and greater transparency around finances.
The 2026 event is being delivered with unpaid directors, while organisers have also signed an Equity agreement guaranteeing fair pay and professional standards for performers – the first UK union agreement of its kind for a Pride event.
Performing at Manchester Village Pride this year are major artists like Nadine Coyle, Danny Beard, Gareth Gates, Kate Nash, Cascada, and Rowetta.
They’re joined by a lineup of fantastic home-grown talent, including artists, DJs, and drag queens, taking our city’s Pride celebrations back to their roots, and keeping things firmly in the Gay Village.
In their statement, Manchester Village Pride said: “Transparency time! Booking this entire weekend of fabulous artists cost us £20k UNDER what was spent on a single headliner last year. This is what community Pride looks like!”
Manchester Village Pride will once again take place over the August bank holiday weekend, with the party running for four days from Friday to Monday.
The celebrations will culminate in the moving candlelit vigil in Sackville Gardens.
Ticket prices this year, even with just over a week to go, are only £40 for the full three-day festival, or £25 for one day. Monday will be free to attend.
Read more
Featured image: The Manc Group
News
Second arrest made on suspicion of murder after man stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Emily Sergeant
A second arrest has been made following the death of a young man in Levenshulme this past weekend.
The victim has now also been formally named to the public.
Earlier this week, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained that officers were called to reports of a man who suffered ‘serious stab wounds’ on Chapel Street at around 7:06pm on Saturday evening (15 August), and once they arrived on the scene, the victim was pronounced dead despite the best efforts of emergency services.
According to police, it is believed that this was an ‘isolated incident’ with no wider threat to the public.
As mentioned, the victim has now been named as 24-year-old Zherko Rasul Osman, and his family are being supported by specialist officers at this time.
When the investigation was first opened, a 27-year-old man had already been arrested on suspicion of murder and was being kept in police custody, but it has now been confirmed that a second man has also been arrested.
Yesterday evening (Tuesday 18 August), a 23-year-old man was arrested, also on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning.
“This arrest marks a significant step in our investigation and shows our continued commitment to securing justice for the victim and his family,” commented Detective Inspector Alex Wilkinson, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.
“Our officers are working at pace to establish the full circumstances as officers on scene are conducting investigations.
“As our investigation is ongoing, we would like to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”
Read more:
Can you help? Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell and dashcam footage, can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP