Andy Murray has done the seemingly impossible yet again as he came back from two sets down to beat Thanasi Kokkinakis and progress to the third round of the Australian Open, breaking not one but two records in the process.
After already putting on a fairly herculean display in the opening round of the tournament, playing for nearly five hours, many were worried that he might have emptied the tank early doors. Not so, as he ended up taking this match even further, battling for nearly six whole hours — his longest game ever.
As if that wasn’t staggering enough, in addition to playing the third-longest match in tennis history, he also broke the record for the most singles games won from two sets down, surpassing the likes of Roger Federer, Boris Becker and Aaron Krickstein. Madness.
The epic battle lasted for a total of five hours and 45 minutes and he stayed resilient throughout, winning some of the most ridiculous points we’ve ever seen from him. The Scot really is super-human at times.
Despite Kokkinakis making a staggering start and looking like he was going to cruise to victory, the 35-year-old somehow managed to keep a foothold in the tie.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Aussie native pushed the former world number one to the very brink and played more than his part in several relentless rallies, with each player showcasing some serious accuracy when it came to playing down the line and well-placed drop shots, but Murray still made sure to capitalise on every little slip-up.
The five-time Australian Open runner-up went on to win the match 4-6 6-7 (4-7) 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 7-5, with the final point being played at 4:05am.
Although he was obviously relieved to still be in the fight after hours of breath-taking tennis, he did also show his usual emotions while out on the court.
Undoubtedly the most warranted moment of frustration was when he asked the officials if he could go to the toilet after he had been already been playing for several hours and was told he was not allowed.
ADVERTISEMENT
Speaking to the umpire during the break, he said: “I respect the rules [but] it’s so disrespectful that the tournament has us out here until 3, 4 o’clock in the f***ing morning and we’re not allowed to go and take a piss. It’s a joke… it’s disrespectful to you, to the ball children, to the players — ridiculous”.
I mean, you’d be fuming, wouldn’t you?
Andy Murray into a fifth set in Melbourne (where it’s 3 AM) … asked for a bathroom break, was told it wasn’t an option and he vented. Oh yes, he vented as he should. pic.twitter.com/8dmrFVAJXT
Nevertheless, not only did he make it to the end but he managed to notch another win on what has been a long and winding road to a comeback we all hope ends with another Grand Slam title — if not in Australia then sometime soon.
It’s worth reminding that there aren’t many players who would keep going after so many setbacks and a metal hip following two major joint ‘resurfacing’ surgeries, let alone still be joking at the end of the day.
All that being said, overcoming injuries, countless impressive points and two record-breaking achievements aside, this was our favourite moment of the entire ordeal.
Jack Grealish dedicates first league goal in 16 months to late brother on anniversary of his death
Danny Jones
Manchester City star Jack Grealish held back the tears following his first Premier League goal in more than 16 months, but not in relief after breaking the duck, because it came on a very emotional day for him and his family.
The Man City and England midfielder opened the scoring in the Blues’ 2-0 win against Leicester City on Wednesday night, bringing an end to his goal drought after a total of 473 days.
But what made it even more special is that the game happened to coincide with the anniversary of his late brother Keelan’s death.
Speaking in his post-match interview after picking up the man of the match award, Grealish was in a noticeably quieter mood than his usual charismatic self before revealing that the day marked the 25th anniversary of his younger sibling’s death.
Jack Grealish dedicates his goal to his late brother on the 25th anniversary of his death ❤️ pic.twitter.com/u3toaqZSuR
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) April 2, 2025
The 29-year-old went on to reveal that the date coincided with Keelan’s passing and acknowledged that it’s “hard on the family but [I’m] happy to score”.
His mum and dad, Karen and Kevin, were up in the stands; it doesn’t need explaining why scoring in that particular moment was so special for all of them.
Clearly stirred by addressing what was a bittersweet occasion, he signed off by adding, “To score and to win was brilliant.”
Keelan Daniel Grealish was just nine months old when he tragically passed away from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) back in 2000 – ‘Super Jack’ was just four at the time.
Paying tribute on social media after the game, the comments below his post were filled with love and support.
Besides the goal itself, the former Aston Villa star was keen to reiterate that he was never brought to the club to score bags of goals and “has a lot more to offer” than just hitting the back of the net.
Touching on his Grealish’s game and the tribute to Keelan during his post-match duties, manager Pep Guardiola went on to add: “Jack is an incredible human being; in terms of gestures and for the other people, he’s incredibly generous.
“I didn’t know that [it was the anniversary of his brother’s death]. I can’t imagine how tough it could be for mum, dad, sister, and all the family. It’s good on this day to remember him, I’m pretty sure they remember every single day.”
A lovely moment from a much-loved character around the Eithad Stadium as well as up and down the country. Rest in peace, Keelan.
You can watch the highlights from the game down below:
Three more points on the board for City and a big moment for the Brummy-born midfielder.
Featured Images — Sky Sports (screenshots via YouTube)
Sport
Marc Skinner signs new contract to keep him at Manchester United until 2027
Danny Jones
Manchester United Women manager Marc Skinner has signed off on a new deal with the Red Devils, accepting a contract that will see him stay at the club until at least 2027.
Approaching half a decade in charge of Man United’s women’s team, Marc Skinner has now committed his future to the side which helped the club to a historic male and female FA Cup double and qualified for Champions League for the first time.
Confirmed via social media on Wednesday, 2 April, the club shared the news that the 42-year-old has put pen to paper on a new two-year contract with an option to extend for a further 12 months.
His side is also currently third in the WSL, and although Chelsea remain the perennial favourites, they are continuing to push harder for the title each season following their second-placed finish in 22/23.
Speaking on the new deal, Brummy-born Skinner wrote: “It has been an absolute privilege to serve as head coach for this fantastic football club for the past four years, and I am delighted to be extending my time in the role for at least a further two years.
“We’re building a young, hungry team with the aim of challenging consistently for further trophies. There is still more hard work ahead, including this season, but the players and staff have already shown their determination to succeed, and I’m looking forward to us taking the next steps in our journey together.”
The former Birmingham and Orlando Pride head coach has been a somewhat divisive figure around Leigh Sports Village and Old Trafford during his tenure in recent years, with some vocal supporters even calling ‘Skinner Out’ last year.
He was ultimately kept on following the 4-0 thrashing of Spurs in the Women’s FA Cup, but many fans are still unhappy with the amount of progress made under him.
In addition to a lack of silverware throughout his time in charge, with many criticising his tactics, star talents like Alessia Russo, Mary Earps, Nikita Parris, Lucía Garcíaand captain Katie Zelem have all departed during this time. Others just haven’t felt the same since Casey Stoney left back in 2021.
Even gave him a photoshoot. Right wrong on not a significant part of the fan base hates Marc skinner. It’s tone deaf to assume we all celebrate on socials. I would turn the comments off tbh. https://t.co/VIarfUAkoJ
Nevertheless, Marc Skinner is staying for the immediate future, and there are still plenty who back him and the work he’s done, or at least the direction he is looking to go in.
Speaking on the extension, United‘s technical director Jason Wilcox said: “Marc’s record since taking charge speaks for itself, having delivered our first major women’s silverware and firmly established us among the leading teams in the WSL.
“After a major overhaul last summer, we have an exciting, developing squad ready to compete for further success, and we are convinced that Marc is the right coach to lead that process.”
COO Collette Roche went on to insist that “building a successful and popular women’s team is an important part of our wider, football-first strategy for the club” and that they hope Skinner will continue to contribute in placing “Manchester United at the forefront of growth in the women’s game.”