A man who has been dubbed ‘one of the most prolific child sexual predators ever seen in the North West’ has been sentenced to 14 years behind bars.
Stuart Latham, 22, from Wigan, was sentenced to 49 offences including rape, sexual activity with a child, blackmail, sexual communication with children, inciting children to engage in sexual activity, and the creation, possession and distribution of indecent images,.
These charges were against 41 victims between the ages of 11 and 15, spanning the whole of the UK.
A joint investigation by GMP and Lancashire Police tracked down all but eight of Latham’s total 48 victims – those who have been identified will be safeguarded from further harm long after his sentencing.
Officers first received a report that Latham had raped a 12-year-old-girl in Heysham in 2023, who he had met on the social media app Swiper. He had told her he was 15 years old.
ADVERTISEMENT
While on bail for the offences in Lancashire in April 2024, GMP received a referral made by US authorities via the National Crime Agency that a local man was having sexualised chat with children on Snapchat.
When officers arrived to his home address, Latham tried to hide his phone in the back of his wardrobe, but digital forensic experts were able to analyse the device and found that he had a history of ‘catfishing’ young girls on Snapchat, posing as a 14-year-old boy under the name ‘Josh’.
ADVERTISEMENT
He was sending mass messages up to 200 girls at a time, asking for help before requesting sexualised images and videos, sometimes offering cash and giftcards in return.
To keep his stream of images coming, he would blackmail his victims with threats to leak the images or tell their parents, and would also send explicit videos and images of himself.
He never paid any of the victims, and showed no remorse or accountability in any of his police interviews.
ADVERTISEMENT
Detective Constable Emma Murtagh, from GMP’s Online Child Abuse Investigation Team, and who led this case, said: “This is one of the most horrific cases I have ever had to investigate, not only due to the scale of the offending, but also due to the devastating impact and harm this this man’s behaviour and actions have had on these young girls and their families.
“We worked incredibly hard to identify as many victims as possible, listen to them, safeguard them and support them through this terrible ordeal. That has been our priority throughout and the victims living in very different locations has not been a barrier to this investigation.
“The impact has also been felt by all their parents and guardians, who understandably were very shocked and distressed to hear about what had been happening.
“This case demonstrates unfortunately the ease of which those looking to exploit children can target, manipulate and blackmail them online.
“We encourage anyone who may find them in a situation like these young people to come forward to police. We are steadfast in our pursuit of holding child predators to account and protecting children, and will act on any information we receive.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Detective Chief Inspector Dylan Hrynkow, of West Rape and Serious Sexual offences team said: “This investigation was complex with cross border offending, due to excellent joint working we have been able to secure charges and convictions for these horrendous offences.
“This crime has understandably had a profound impact on the victim, who has shown incredible strength and bravery over a significant amount of time, throughout proceedings. I can only hope that the knowledge of Latham’s significant sentence will bring some sense of closure in knowing he has been brought to justice.
“If you have been a victim of any sexual offending in Lancashire, I want you to know that we will listen to you, we will appropriately investigate, and we will do all we can to get you justice.”
Latham was jailed at Preston Crown Court on Friday 19 September.
You can find information about online safety and organisations which support victims and parents HERE.
Inside Cat Cafe Manchester, as a dozen fluffy felines pounce into their new palace
Emily Sergeant
Cat Cafe Manchester will soon be ready to open the doors to its new home in the city centre, and we’ve got a sneak peak for you.
Get ready to meet your 12 new best friends.
Barton Arcade was already one of Manchester‘s most stunning buildings as it is, but now a dozen new fluffy felines have moved in too, taking over the old Classic Football Shirts site on Deansgate with climbing frames, scratch posts, cat trees, squishy sofas, and plenty (emphasis on the plenty) of ledges that are perfect for perching on.
You may remember that Cat Cafe Manchester was a beloved venue in the Northern Quarter, opening all the way back in 2016 before sadly having to close in 2021 following unavoidable economic struggles brought about by the pandemic.
But now they’re back, and they’re cuter than ever… you can absolutely take our word for it.
Cat Cafe Manchester is getting ready to open at the end of this month / Credit: The Manc Group
After announcing in January 2025 that they would be making a grand return to the city, the Cat Cafe staff have been spending the past year making sure their new home is perfect (purrfect… if you will) ready for the cats to begin moving in – which they have been doing over this past week, gradually being introduced to each other in intervals to make sure they all get on.
From Maine Coons Ottie and Heathcliff, and fluffy sisters Yumi and Yoki, to Uno the adventurous Bengal, beautiful Gracie the Ragdoll, and Emerson the proud British Shorthair, it’s clear to see that all 12 residents have been making themselves at home ready for the official opening on Saturday 30 May.
“Our mission is to make animal assisted therapy accessible on the high street,” Cat Cafe says in a mission statement on its website.
“We aim to support urban communities by offering inclusive, calm and relaxing spaces in what can be a busy, crowded and over-stimulating world. The purpose of Cat Cafe is to help people feel better.”
The 12 fluffy felines have all started making themselves at home / Credit: The Manc Group
All the cats are still considered kittens at this point, and they will be ready for retiring and settling down once they turn five.
And of course, let’s not forget the ‘cafe’ part of the Cat Cafe too.
When you book your one-hour time slot from £14 per person, you’ll also get unlimited free hot and cold drinks included in your ticket price, and be able to order from a menu that includes everything from toasted teacakes and bacon sandwiches, to paninis, cakes, and ice creams – with options for a variety of dietary requirements.
As well as the general admission – which is open to children aged 10 and over – Cat Cafe Manchester will also be offering adult-only sessions, child-friendly hours for those between the ages of four and nine, and will even host book clubs, film nights, and craft nights too.
Dedicated subsidised hours for the SEN community and their carers are now open to book, so they have the opportunity to attend on a weekly basis, and birthday packages, celebration packages, afternoon tea, and private hire are also available.
Cat Cafe Manchester officially opens on Saturday 30 May, and you can find out everything you need to know and book your slot to visit online here.
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Channel 4 takes all episodes of Married at First Sight UK off air after rape allegations
Emily Sergeant
Channel 4 has stripped all episodes of Married at First Sight UK from air following rape allegations from previous participants.
The broadcaster said ‘very serious allegations of wrongdoing’ have been made against a small number of past participants in the popular reality TV series, which sees single people – matched by experts – ‘marry’ strangers who they meet for the first time on their wedding day, leading to the show being fully taken off air.
It comes as the BBC and a Panorama special reported allegations from two women who alleged they were raped during filming of the show, and a third described an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.
Each of the past participants all alleged that the show did not do enough to protect them.
Channel 4’s recently appointed CEO, Priya Dogra, confirmed that the broadcaster had instructed an external review of contributor welfare on Married at First Sight UK (MAFS UK) last month.
The broadcaster says it expects the review to report in the coming months, and will share a summary of findings and recommendations at the ‘appropriate time’.
Channel 4 takes all episodes of Married at First Sight UK off air after rape allegations / Credit: James West (via Flickr)
A formal statement issued by Channel 4 addressing the matter reads: “In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied.
“The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”
Explaining the decision to remove all episodes of the show from air and streaming services, the statement continued: “While the review is ongoing and until we receive any conclusions and recommendations, all previous seasons of MAFS UK have been removed from Channel 4 streaming and linear services at this time, alongside Channel 4’s MAFS UK social channels.”
Channel 4 says this move considers the ongoing duty of care to all contributors, the seriousness of the allegations levelled against a small number of past contributors, and is made ‘out of an abundance of caution to avoid fuelling speculation or jigsaw identification’.