Police have reinvested more than £15 million in cash seized from criminals back into local communities across Manchester.
Over the last financial year, Greater Manchester Police‘s (GMP) Economic Crime Unit – which is made up of police officers, detectives, and other additional staff – have together recovered a whopping total of £15,163,436.27 of ‘criminal’ money.
The Economic Crime Unit is tasked with dealing with complex investigations relating to serious fraud, money laundering, and the confiscating of the finances of those that have profited from crime in Greater Manchester – with each of the teams working within the unit specialising in targeting criminals’ cash in the journey from its seizure, to the recovery of funds in court.
Some of the teams who work as part of the Economic Crime Unit include the dedicated ‘Money Laundering Team’, the ‘Account Freezing Order’ team, the ‘Asset Detention and Recovery’ team, and the ‘Restraint and Confiscation’ team.
#NEWS |Criminal cash given back to communities as we seize over £15 million in the last tax year 💰
The unit is made up of a number of teams who target criminal cash in the journey from the seizure of cash to the recovery of these funds in court.
— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) June 10, 2024
By working together as a team, each with a dedicated task at hand, this has meant that the Economic Crime Unit has broken records in the sheer volume of cash it has seized and then recovered for the force throughout this past year.
ADVERTISEMENT
The seized funds are then used as Asset Recovery Incentivisation Scheme (ARIS) funding to benefit the local communities across our region.
Detective Inspector Sarah Langley, of GMP’s Economic Crime Unit, described the amount of criminal cash seized this financial year as a “significant achievement” for the region, as it not only “disrupts criminals as they look to line their pockets with illicit cash” but it also “directly benefits” communities across Greater Manchester as these funds are being reinvested into “vital” community programmes and services.
ADVERTISEMENT
£15 million of ‘criminal cash’ seized by police has been reinvested back into Manchester’s communities / Credit: GMP
“It’s fitting that we recover the money from those individuals who have profited from crime for their own selfish gain, and will now be used to improve our communities in Greater Manchester by giving the funding to those who need it the most,” DI Langley explained.
“Over the last year, we have worked hard to dismantle several criminal networks engaged in money laundering, fraud, and other financial crimes.”
DI Langley said the reinvestment of the seized funds is “so satisfying”.
She continued: “This year we have recovered over £15 million, and a significant amount has been put back into Greater Manchester, and it’s so satisfying when we can see that our hard work has a difference on the communities we serve.
“This encourages us to get even more money this next financial year.”
Featured Image – GMP
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”