Jess Bostock and Sylvie Pope – who have been campaigning for nearly three years – have been celebrating their achievements, as the UK government last week announced that it will ask the police to record crimes motivated by a person’s sex or gender.
Following the tragic death of Sarah Everard, Home Office Minister, Baroness Williams, last Wednesday declared that all police forces in England and Wales will be asked to record crimes caused by hostility based on sex or gender from autumn onwards, and this change is taking place while the government awaits the outcomes of the Law Commissions review of hate crime legislation.
Two graduates from @officialuom who founded the @MisogynyIsHate campaign in 2018 have been celebrating this week, as @govuk announced that the police will be asked to record crimes motivated by a person's sex or gender https://t.co/GHpEcN56lE
For Jess and Sylvie, this is a major step forward, as it brings them closer to their goal of ensuring that misogyny is classed as a hate crime, which will help to tackle male violence against women.
Having experienced unwanted sexual advances and everyday sexism herself, Sylvie Pope started the campaign to make misogyny a hate crime as leader of Greater Manchester Citizens Women’s Action Group back in 2018 – while still a Social Sciences student at The University of Manchester – and was inspired to take action after hearing about Nottingham Citizens, a group who had successfully campaigned to see Nottinghamshire Police become the first police force in the UK to record misogyny as a hate crime.
The pair then brought together women from across Greater Manchester’s communities to form an alliance as part of Greater Manchester Citizens.
Community leaders from @GMCitizens launched this campaign in 2018, following calls from women across Manchester and in admiration of the successes of @NottinghamCitz (2)
Since forming, the team have campaigned relentlessly, running a series of action events, conducting research into misogyny in Greater Manchester, meeting with decision makers and sharing experiences of harassment, violence and hate.
Not only was their campaigning instrumental to the Law Commission’s review of hate crime legislation last week, but in 2020, following a number of consultations, the campaign gained the backing of Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, who has recorded misogyny hate crime as a key policy in the ‘The Greater Manchester Strategy to Tackle Violence Against Women and Girls’.
“We are absolutely thrilled that women have been listened to, and that misogynistic crimes will be recorded.” Jess Bostock said.
“Women from Greater Manchester and The University of Manchester have been campaigning around these issues for years [as] recording misogynistic hate crimes is a simple, yet necessary, step to better understand and map women’s experiences and ultimately to tackle misogyny and male violence against women.
“By mapping every woman’s story or report of a hate incident, we can pre-empt patterns of abuse and redistribute funding to vital community services.
“Recording where men are committing violence against women is just the start and there is so much more to be done.”
Hundreds of Citizens leaders from across five cities met with the @Law_Commission throughout 2019, sharing stories of everyday harassment and violence. These stories directly impacted the Commission's recommendation in 2020 to recognise misogyny hate crime legislation. pic.twitter.com/WzQWwVrPNY
Sylvie Pope added: “I chose to study in Manchester because it was the Suffragette City.
“At the beginning of this campaign, I sat in a boardroom across from Mayor Andy Burnham and told him my story of misogyny [and] I’m incredibly proud of the hundreds of women who have since joined our campaign across Manchester and bravely told their stories.
“It’s a relief to hear that we’ve finally been listened to, and that this law change will impact millions of women and girls in our city as well as across the country”.
Huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech to open at Quayside MediaCity
Emily Sergeant
Time to get practicing your swing, as a huge new premium indoor golf venue is opening up over in Salford this autumn.
Founded by a local PGA Professional and spanning a whopping 4,500 sq ft of state-of-the-art space, TeeClub is set to be a revolutionary new venture where cutting-edge technology meets luxurious comfort at the unique waterside destination.
TeeClub will provide a first-of-its-kind premium environment with seven high-tech Trackman simulators, taking players to more than 450 world-famous courses including St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, and more.
The new venue is also launching a partnership with sports equipment brand TaylorMade, so golf fans can either bring their own clubs to use on the day, or make use of TaylorMade equipment available if needed.
Resident PGA professionals will offer personalised lessons with AI-driven video analysis when the venue opens later this year, while a dedicated club fitter will make sure every swing is matched with the right equipment.
There’ll also be a club shop stocking TaylorMade gear alongside apparel from Manchester-based brand, Concrete Links Co.
The new venue is designed for both individuals and businesses alike, and will offer exclusive memberships and corporate packages, as well as semi-private bays and interactive gaming modes, making it an ideal place for team-building events or relaxed evenings with friends.
A huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech is opening at Quayside MediaCity / Credit: Supplied
There’ll also be bar on site serving coffee, pizzas, snacks, wine, and craft beers.
“Our vision for TeeClub is to create an indoor golf experience that combines the authenticity of the sport with modern luxury,” commented Nick Holmes, who is a PGA Professional and the Director of Golf at TeeClub, ahead of the venue opening this autumn.
“Whether you’re a beginner looking to learn, a corporate group hosting an event, or an experienced golfer, TeeClub will provide the tools, technology, and atmosphere.”
TeeClub is set to open at Quayside this autumn, but an official launch date is yet to be confirmed, so keep your eyes peeled.
Featured Image – Supplied
News
Florence + The Machine announce massive Manchester gig on new tour
Daisy Jackson
Florence + The Machine are heading back out on a huge arena tour, with a massive gig here in Manchester.
Florence Welch has announced the UK and European tour dates in support of her sixth studio album, Everybody Scream.
As well as a show at the Co-op Live in Manchester, Florence + The Machine will perform in Sheffield, London and Liverpool, along with several other UK cities.
She’ll be joined by Paris Paloma as support across all 18 dates.
Last week, Florence released the album’s title track, ahead of the album’s release on 31 October. She’s worked for two years on this new music, calling on collaborators including Mark Bowen of IDLES, Aaron Dessner and Mitski.
She has said that this new album explores womanhood, partnership, aging and dying, inspired by her recovery from lifesaving surgery on the Dance Fever Tour.
Big hits of Florence + The Machine’s discography include You’ve Got The Love, Shake It Out, and Spectrum (Say My Name), and she’s collaborated with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.
She’s famed for her high-energy, ethereal stage presence which has seen her sell out arenas for years.
Florence + The Machine will be back in Manchester in February 2026, performing at the Co-op Live on 20 February.
Tickets go on sale on Friday 5 September 2025 at 10am HERE.
There are also packages available with Seat Unique HERE.