fbpx
A Manchester restaurant famed for cooking with fire has been closed… by a fire, The Manc

A Manchester restaurant famed for cooking with fire has been closed… by a fire

Sapporo Teppanyaki says that no one was injured in the incident, but that there has been some “major fire damage” in the main kitchen.

A teppanyaki restaurant in Manchester city centre has had to temporarily close its doors because of a ‘severe’ kitchen fire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sapporo Teppanyaki on Liverpool Road is famed for its theatrical cooking style, where chefs prepare food on a hot plate in front of diners.

Each table is manned by a trained chef, who frequently create huge flaming displays right in front of customers’ eyes.

A Manchester restaurant famed for cooking with fire has been closed… by a fire, The Manc
Sapporo Teppanyaki on Liverpool Road in Manchester. Credit: The Manc Group

But now a fire in the restaurant’s kitchen has forced the doors to close for the time being.

ADVERTISEMENT

A statement posted by Sapporo Teppanyaki says that no one was injured in the incident, but that there has been some “major fire damage” in the main kitchen.

They added that the team have been left ‘shaken’.

The post read: “As some of you may have heard, our Manchester branch is currently out of action due to some major fire damage in our main kitchen.

ADVERTISEMENT

“While we’re a little shaken, thankfully nobody was injured and we’re working hard to get back on our feet as soon as possible. We understand this set-back will have inconvenienced many of you, so thank you for bearing with us in the meantime!”

A deep-cleaning company is currently working to ready the restaurant for a hopeful reopening in December.

Read more: Everything you need to know about the Manchester Christmas Markets 2021

The restaurant has said that bookings have been refunded.

ADVERTISEMENT

A spokesperson for GMFRS said: “At approximately 7am on Saturday 16 October, three fire engines from Salford and Moss Side stations, alongside an aerial ladder platform from Manchester Central station, were called to a fire on Liverpool Road, in Manchester city centre.

“The fire was located on the ground floor of a restaurant. Firefighters used breathing apparatus, two hose reels, a thermal imaging camera and a gas monitor to extinguish the fire. Fire crews were in attendance for around four hours.”

Sapporo’s sister site in Liverpool is open for business as normal.

The Manc has contacted Sapporo Teppanyaki for further comment.

Featured image – Facebook (Sapporo Teppanyaki)

Total
23
Shares
Related Posts