A man from Bolton has pleaded guilty to a number of offences relating to the use of computer technology to create child sexual abuse content.
In what is being described as a “landmark case”, not just for Greater Manchester Police (GMP) but also nationally, Hugh Nelson, from the Greater Manchester town of Bolton, appeared at Bolton Crown Court last week (Friday 9 August 2024) and pleaded guilty to 11 offences in total.
According to GMP, the 27-year-old pleased guilty to three counts of encouraging the rape of a child under 13, one count of attempting to incite a boy under 16 to engage in a sexual act, three counts each of the distribution and making of indecent images, and one count of possessing prohibited images.
He also pleaded guilty to publishing an obscene article, and four counts of distributing indecent pseudo photographs of children, at an earlier court appearance back in July 2023.
Detective Constable Carly Baines, from GMP’s Online Child Abuse Investigation Team (OCAIT) – which led the investigation – said this case is “particularly unique” and “deeply horrifying”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Nelson was using computer programme Daz 3D, with an AI function within it, to transform images of real children, normal everyday photographs, into indecent child sexual abuse imagery, selling these to people online.
We hope this conviction will set a precedent for the future.
“Nelson was using computer programme Daz 3D, with an AI function within it, to transform images of real children, normal everyday photographs, into indecent child sexual abuse imagery, selling these to people online, as well as providing them for free,” DC Baines explained.
“It became clear to us after extensive trawls of his many devices by digital forensic experts, however, that his behaviour went far beyond what clearly he was seeing as a ‘business opportunity’, as not only was he creating and selling these images, but he was engaging in depraved sexualised chat online about childrenm and going as far as to encourage people interested in his online content to commit contact offences such as rape against children they knew or were related to.”
ADVERTISEMENT
DC Baines said the OCAIT worked “incredibly closely” with several teams across the country on this case, including national investigation units, and a specialist solicitor and prosecutor from the national Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) team, to gather the “strongest possible evidence to present”, and to determine how to proceed.
A Bolton man has pleaded guilty to creating child sexual abuse content using AI / Credit: Google Maps
“This case has been a real test of the legislation,” DC Baines continued, “as using computer programmes in this particular way is so new to this type of offending and isn’t specifically mentioned within current UK law.
“What this case will do is set a precedent for future cases, but hopefully also play a role in influencing what future legislation looks like, to ensure offenders can continue to feel the full force of the law.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I understand that computers, including AI enabled programmes, can be an incredibly useful and important tool, including for police forces, in particular teams working in the online space like us, but it’s clear from this case how dangerous it can also be when put into the wrong hands.”
Nelson currently awaits sentencing on 25 September 2024.
Featured Image – GMP
Bolton
Former Bolton Council employee jailed for stealing nearly £900k from client benefits accounts
Emily Sergeant
A former Bolton Council employee has been sentenced to jail this week after admitting to stealing from client benefits accounts.
Richard Shaw transferred £893,296 to himself from benefit claimants’ accounts held by Bolton Council between 2015 and 2023 – which he had been managing as part of the Council’s Financial Protection Team, before he was subsequently suspended when mismanagement of appointeeship cases was discovered.
He was then sacked for gross misconduct in March 2023, after the Council identified and reported the possible fraud to Greater Manchester Police (GMP).
A lengthy investigation by GMP’s Economic and Cyber Crime Unit then began, with ‘full cooperation’ from Bolton Council, which went on to show that Shaw had been transferring the money to his own accounts for a number of years.
He also transferred money between clients’ accounts in an attempt to hide his fraud.
Investigations in 2023 showed several bank transfers to nine personal accounts held in Richard Shaw’s name – with just over £250,000 transferred to one account, and £215,000 to another.
During the investigation, it was established that Shaw spent £100,000 buying a holiday home in Lancashire, and almost £18,000 on garden improvements.
It is estimated to Shaw’s failure to act in the best interest of his clients meant he lost them a total of £129,749 in unclaimed benefits.
Two BMW cars and several high-value items – including computers and bikes – were seized during a warrant at Shaw’s home address of Harrier Close in Bolton on 27 April 2023, when he was initially arrested on suspicion of fraud by abuse of position and money laundering.
Shaw failed to attend his first court appearance on 23 September 2025 and was then arrested on the same day in Blackpool. He initially denied fraud by abuse of position, but then went on to change his plea to guilty at Bolton Crown Court in December 2025.
He was finally jailed for four years and eight months at Bolton Crown Court yesterday (18 February 2026).
Speaking following Shaw’s sentencing this week, Detective Sergeant Daniel Sanchez, from GMP’s Economic and Cyber Crime Unit, said: “In his role as an appointee officer, Shaw was responsible for managing 120 client cases. Shaw abused his position of trust within the council, transferring clients’ money to accounts he had set up in his own name.
“His systematic theft and haphazard spending was uncovered by our financial investigator.
“There will now be a Proceeds of Crime hearing to reclaim the rest of the money so the council can be reimbursed.”
Featured Image – GMP
Bolton
Four people arrested as part of investigation into fatal head-on crash in Bolton last month
Emily Sergeant
Four people have now been arrested following a devastating and fatal head-on collision in Bolton last month.
Simultaneous warrants – which were conducted alongside Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) and Trading Standards – took place in Ladybridge and Bolton town centre this week, and resulted in four people being arrested.
A 42-year-old woman and 46-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of fraud offences, while a 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods, and an 18-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of aggravated vehicle taking.
All four people arrested currently remain in police custody for questioning, as the investigation into the serious collision continues.
The arrests have been made after officers from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were called out to reports of a collision on Wigan Road in Bolton at around 12:45am on Sunday 11 January, where a Seat Leon was travelling down the road and collided with a Citroen C4 Picasso – which was a taxi.
The driver of the Seat, and two passengers – who were all aged between 18 and 19 – died following the collision, and the driver of the Citroen was also sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
The three teenagers who died have been named by GMP as Muhammad Danyaal Asghar Ali, Farhan Patel, and Mohammed Jibrael Mukhtar, all from Bolton, while the taxi driver was named as Masrob Ali from Blackburn.
Four people have been arrested as part of an investigation into a fatal head-on crash that happened in Bolton last month / Credit: GMP
Five passengers from both vehicles were taken to hospital for treatment, and it has been revealed by GMP that a 29-year-old woman who suffered ‘life-threatening injuries’ during the incident is now in a stable condition.
“Our investigation into this tragic incident has led to four arrests from two warrants in Bolton,” Detective Inspector Andrew Page, of GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, confirmed.
GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit (SCIU) is still appealing for information and witnesses, and are urging anyone that may be able to help to come forward. This includes anyone who saw the vehicle driving before the collision, witnessed the incident itself, or has dashcam / CCTV footage.