Boris Johnson has pulled out of the Conservative leadership race and WON’T be the new Prime Minister, despite support from fellow Tory MPs to see him back as PM.
Rumours had been swirling that Mr Johnson would return to his former job after Liz Truss resigned after just 44 days, making her the shortest-serving Prime Minister in history.
It’s now widely expected that Rishi Sunak, former Chancellor, will be announced as the new PM, as he has a commanding lead over Penny Mordaunt.
Mr Johnson’s withdrawal from the leadership contest has turned it into a two-horse race.
Both will need to have the support of 100 MPs by this afternoon – Mr Sunak has already reached this target.
Boris Johnson has pulled out of the race to find the new PM. Credit: Andrew Parsons / No 10 Downing Street
If either of them has fewer than 100 supporters, the other will automatically be named the new leader of the Conservative party.
Mr Johnson said, withdrawing from the leadership contest last night, that it was ‘simply not the right time’.
He said that although he believes he stood a ‘very good chance’ of getting back into Downing Street, he couldn’t ‘govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament’.
His statement also added that he has ‘much to offer’ and is ‘well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024’, while stressing that an earlier general election would be ‘disastrous’.
Since his resignation, Ms Mordaunt said: “In taking this difficult decision last night @BorisJohnson has put country before party, and party before self. He worked to secure the mandate and the majority we now enjoy.”
We should put it to good use, and I know he will work with us to do so.
In taking this difficult decision last night @BorisJohnson has put country before party, and party before self. He worked to secure the mandate and the majority we now enjoy.
We should put it to good use, and I know he will work with us to do so.
Mr Johnson’s full statement reads: “In the last few days I have been overwhelmed by the number of people who suggested that I should once again contest the Conservative party leadership, both among the public and among friends and colleagues in parliament.
“I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago – and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.
“A general election would be a further disastrous distraction just when the government must focus on the economic pressures faced by families across the country.
“I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 – and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow. There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members – and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.
“But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do. You can’t govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament.
“And though I have reached out to both Rishi and Penny – because I hoped that we could come together in the national interest – we have sadly not been able to work out a way of doing this.
“Therefore I am afraid the best thing is that I do not allow my nomination to go forward and commit my support to whoever succeeds.
“I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time.”
By 2pm today, the 1922 committee will announce who has made it onto the ballot.
Featured image: Twitter, @PennyMordaunt / Flickr / Flickr
News
Huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech to open at Quayside MediaCity
Emily Sergeant
Time to get practicing your swing, as a huge new premium indoor golf venue is opening up over in Salford this autumn.
Founded by a local PGA Professional and spanning a whopping 4,500 sq ft of state-of-the-art space, TeeClub is set to be a revolutionary new venture where cutting-edge technology meets luxurious comfort at the unique waterside destination.
TeeClub will provide a first-of-its-kind premium environment with seven high-tech Trackman simulators, taking players to more than 450 world-famous courses including St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, and more.
The new venue is also launching a partnership with sports equipment brand TaylorMade, so golf fans can either bring their own clubs to use on the day, or make use of TaylorMade equipment available if needed.
Resident PGA professionals will offer personalised lessons with AI-driven video analysis when the venue opens later this year, while a dedicated club fitter will make sure every swing is matched with the right equipment.
There’ll also be a club shop stocking TaylorMade gear alongside apparel from Manchester-based brand, Concrete Links Co.
The new venue is designed for both individuals and businesses alike, and will offer exclusive memberships and corporate packages, as well as semi-private bays and interactive gaming modes, making it an ideal place for team-building events or relaxed evenings with friends.
A huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech is opening at Quayside MediaCity / Credit: Supplied
There’ll also be bar on site serving coffee, pizzas, snacks, wine, and craft beers.
“Our vision for TeeClub is to create an indoor golf experience that combines the authenticity of the sport with modern luxury,” commented Nick Holmes, who is a PGA Professional and the Director of Golf at TeeClub, ahead of the venue opening this autumn.
“Whether you’re a beginner looking to learn, a corporate group hosting an event, or an experienced golfer, TeeClub will provide the tools, technology, and atmosphere.”
TeeClub is set to open at Quayside this autumn, but an official launch date is yet to be confirmed, so keep your eyes peeled.
Featured Image – Supplied
News
Florence + The Machine announce massive Manchester gig on new tour
Daisy Jackson
Florence + The Machine are heading back out on a huge arena tour, with a massive gig here in Manchester.
Florence Welch has announced the UK and European tour dates in support of her sixth studio album, Everybody Scream.
As well as a show at the Co-op Live in Manchester, Florence + The Machine will perform in Sheffield, London and Liverpool, along with several other UK cities.
She’ll be joined by Paris Paloma as support across all 18 dates.
Last week, Florence released the album’s title track, ahead of the album’s release on 31 October. She’s worked for two years on this new music, calling on collaborators including Mark Bowen of IDLES, Aaron Dessner and Mitski.
She has said that this new album explores womanhood, partnership, aging and dying, inspired by her recovery from lifesaving surgery on the Dance Fever Tour.
Big hits of Florence + The Machine’s discography include You’ve Got The Love, Shake It Out, and Spectrum (Say My Name), and she’s collaborated with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.
She’s famed for her high-energy, ethereal stage presence which has seen her sell out arenas for years.
Florence + The Machine will be back in Manchester in February 2026, performing at the Co-op Live on 20 February.
Tickets go on sale on Friday 5 September 2025 at 10am HERE.
There are also packages available with Seat Unique HERE.