Actor Catherine Tyldesley has spoken out after being revealed as the mystery Mancunian celebrity behind ‘cake gate’.
The former Coronation Street star took to social media on Wednesday night to address an email exchange between a PR company and a baker, in which the small business was asked to supply free cakes in return for ‘exposure’.
The emails between NVRLND and Yorkshire bakery Three Little Birds showed the publicist asking for over 100 free cakes, including a birthday cake for the star, a smaller cake for her husband, and 100 cupcakes.
NVRLND had said in the email they were working for a ‘well-known’ Manchester celebrity who was about to celebrate their 40th birthday, and that payment ‘would be made in the form of promotion on their socials with over 700k followers, as well as OK Magazine’.
The email continued: “They will be crediting all the suppliers on this platform.”
ADVERTISEMENT
“The party has a guest lists full of celebrities, and industry people from tv / film and music, so loads of work would come from it.
“NVRLAND would also use you for our future events and parties.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The bakery owner then hit back, saying: “Unfortunately as my mortgage provider doesn’t take payment ‘in the form of promotion on the socials, and my staff can’t feed their kids with exposure on Instagram, I’ll have to decline your very generous offer.”
Addressing the row last night, Tyldesley shared a video on Instagram from a car to her nearly 650K followers in which she said she was not working with OK Magazine as far as she was aware and that she did not know the emails had been sent.
She defended the PR company as ‘amazing’ and said they had been ‘completely misrepresented in this matter’ before signing off, saying ‘utterly bizarre’.
In the post’s caption, she added that she had been receiving ‘horrendous’ abuse online and that she hoped that the video would ‘put an end to it’, before signing off: “And here’s to turning 40!”
Featured image – Catherine Tyldesley
News
Government launches £442m drive to get rough sleepers off streets before Christmas
Emily Sergeant
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas.
Learning from ‘innovative’ approaches put into place during the pandemic, the Government has announced that new accommodation will be rolled out across England this winter, as well as offering practical help with housing, health, and other needs to support people to build a more stable life for themselves in the future.
The new commitment to offer everyone a route off the streets this Christmas, along with boosted funding, reflect the Andy Burnham‘s national drive to make ‘real change’ and get everyone playing their part in ending rough sleeping.
Not only will these plans change the lives of rough sleepers, but it’s also said they will have huge benefits for the country as a whole.
Research from homelessness charity Crisis suggests that by preventing 40,000 people from becoming homeless for a year, taxpayers could save around £370 million.
The Government has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas / Credit: Number 10 Press Office | Jon Tyson (via Unsplash)
As well provisions to get people off the streets, and the intensive ‘wraparound’ support, the newly allocated funding will also help local areas deliver more than 1,000 ‘settled’ homes over the next three years, it has been confirmed.
Areas facing the greatest pressures will receive the largest share of support.
Working alongside councils, Mayors will play a leading role in driving local action to end rough sleeping, and will be tasked with making decisions that are right for their communities to deliver help where it’s needed most.
The Prime Minister says he ‘won’t accept’ rough sleeping any longer. He commented: “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station, but we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping, and it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas. We did it in the pandemic, we can do it again. But it needs all of us.
“Government will put the money in, but I’m asking leaders in communities and sectors across society to play their part locally too.
“Let’s get people out the cold, and let’s bring back hope.”
Featured Image – Gary Knight (via Flickr)
News
Trainline and Virgin Atlantic among companies being investigated for ‘misleading’ pricing
Emily Sergeant
A number of companies are currently under investigation for ‘misleading’ pricing practices.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has launched three new consumer protection investigations into Trainline, Virgin Atlantic, and RED Driving School over concerns that customers were not shown the total price upfront when buying things like train and coach tickets, holidays, or even driving lessons.
The investigations are part of a wider CMA clampdown on misleading pricing practices – in this instance, where mandatory charges are separated from the headline price, or added later in the buying process, which is known as drip pricing.
These practices leave consumers facing ‘unexpected’ costs or having to calculate the so-called true cost themselves.
Such practices can also impact competition between businesses, as a firm using drip pricing may falsely appear to be cheaper than a competitor pricing correctly, and therefore attract more customers.
Trainline and Virgin Atlantic are among the companies being investigated for ‘misleading’ pricing / Credit: Northern | Aric Cheng (via Unsplash)
Trainline is being investigated over whether all mandatory fees have been included in the upfront prices displayed to consumers buying tickets in advance on its app and website, while Virgin Atlantic’s investigation will focus on whether mandatory resort fees and local taxes have been included in the upfront prices shown to customers buying package holidays.
RED Driving School is being investigated over how a mandatory booking fee and ‘digital’ fee have been displayed to people booking driving lessons – specifically whether these fees have been included in the total upfront price.
“At a time when many households are watching every pound they spend, it is important that people are not surprised by extra fees,” commented Emma Cochrane, who is the Executive Director for Consumer Protection at the CMA.
“Clear pricing helps people compare offers confidently and choose the option that works best for them.
“Unexpected mandatory charges make this much harder, which is why the CMA initially put these firms on notice over concerns about their pricing practices and is now opening formal investigations.”
The CMA says it’s at the beginning of its investigations and has reached no conclusions about whether these firms have broken the law.
If it finds there has been an infringement of the law, the CMA can order businesses to pay compensation to affected customers or be charged up to 10% of global turnover.