Ex-pro turned pundit and football executive Eni Aluko has been “scared this week” and has felt her personal safety was “under threat” following abuse from former Manchester City player, Joey Barton, and others online, so much so that she has now left the country for a spell.
The retired Lioness and WSL hall of famer, who currently works as a sports broadcaster for the likes of ITV, TNT Sport and more, revealed in a lengthy social media post that she didn’t leave the house for the best part of a week following the misogynistic and hateful comments made by Barton.
Barton retired in 2017 and has since gone on to manage Fleetwood Town and Bristol Rovers, but also has his own podcast as well as being very vocal on social media, through which he caused a huge uproar by taking aim at both Aluko and fellow pundit Lucy Ward over their match analysis earlier this month.
The 41-year-old said, “How is she even talking about men’s football. She can’t even kick a ball properly”, in a post on X, before going on to equate the two commentators to serial killers by dubbing them “the Fred and Rose West of football commentary.” Aluko has finally addressed the situation.
The former Birmingham, Chelsea, Juventus and England star stated that “online abuse has a direct impact on your safety and how safe you feel in real life”, reiterating that she genuinely felt like something might happen to her following the torrent of sexist abuse that his comments ultimately helped spark.
Aluko and Ward are also reportedly considering taking legal action against Barton following his misogynistic rant and for what many have labelled “dangerous comments” — including the Minister for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Stuart Andrew.
The MP said that Barton’s comments could “open the floodgates for abuse [which they already have] and that’s not acceptable”, adding that he didn’t to give people like Barton “the oxygen to fuel” further offensive behaviour. It is thought that the government could also look into any legal proceedings.
ITV Sport issued an official response following the Merseysider’s comments on Friday, 12 January, sharing a heartfelt statement of solidarity and condemning Barton for using his industry position and social media presence to dish out “such vindictive remarks based on gender”.
The ITV dubbed his comments “contemptible and shameful”, with countless people around the country echoing the sentiment but he still has a select following and there are plenty online who share his problematic views latching on to the rhetoric.
Barton — who was sacked from his job at Bristol in October 2023 after just 13 games — is no stranger to sharing questionable and often inappropriate opinions online and has been targeting women in football in particular of late, and has only doubled down in his position since the controversy.
As Eni Aluko goes on to emphasise, “racism, sexism and misogyny” continue to create a culture where “people don’t want to go to work or leave their house”, stressing that her fear is that similar abuse could be dished out in the future and lead to a tragedy such as someone taking their own life.
For anyone suffering from online abuse, you can find helpful resources below. If you need to talk to someone, please get in touch with the Samaritans on 116 123 and if you believe you or someone you know is at immediate risk, daily 999 immediately.
Bright Sky App – hestia.org
Safer Online – saferonline.org
Stop Online Abuse – stoponlineabuse.org.uk
Disrespect Nobody – disrespectnobody.co.uk
Get Safe Online – getsafeonline.org
UK Safer Internet Centre – www.saferinternet.org.uk
Featured Images — ITV/Common Sense Pod (via TikTok)/Eni Aluk (via IG)
News
New ‘postboxes of the future’ are being rolled out across the UK
Danny Jones
The Royal Mail is starting to roll out its line of so-called “postboxes of the future” across the UK this year, including right here in Greater Manchester.
It has been dubbed the most important and noticeable transformation to the classic British postbox in its entire 175-year history.
The national postal service teased the modern-day upgrade earlier this year, but the revolutionary new upgrade was officially announced this week, with Royal Mail ushering in a new era of digitally-driven units that should make many lives a lot easier – at least in theory.
Although they might look pretty identical to the iconic red boxes since before the turn of the 19th century have used up and down the country, there are marked differences between the new and the old ones.
Credit: Royal Mail
The biggest change made to the Royal Mail’s soon-to-be standard design is a digitally activated drop-down drawer, which will be able to fit parcels as big as a shoebox, hopefully saving us Brits on a fair few trips to the post office.
You will be able to scan a barcode via the updated Royal Mail app to activate the drawer for larger items; meanwhile, there will be a separate slot for letters and smaller packages.
Additionally, the new range of high-tech postboxes will also be solar-powered, helping the public limited company chase its ‘green’ targets.
Now owned by parent firm International Distribution Services (IDS) – who also oversee Parcelforce Worldwide – following the UK government’s approval of its historic sale to Czech billionaire Daniel Křetínský at the end of 2024, the group as a whole is undergoing a significant overhaul.
Britain’s new solar postboxes were first trialled back in April in four towns located throughout the Hertfordshire region: Letchworth Garden City, Ware and Hertford. A fifth was later installed in Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire, too.
Despite being quickly considered a success on the whole, the initial design featured an entirely black top, with polls of civilians and Royal Mail themselves agreeing that keeping them red all over was more in keeping with the brand.
It’s like the old school phone box, isn’t it? We can’t picture it any other way.
📮Attention Postbox Lovers 📮
Royal Mail is upgrading postboxes to accept parcels. They'll gaining a new slot and a solar panel on top
Speaking in a statement, the Royal Mail‘s managing director of ‘out-of-home and commercial excellence’, Jack Clarkson, said: “We are all sending and returning more parcels than ever before.
“This trend will only continue as online shopping shows no signs of slowing, particularly with the boom of second-hand marketplaces. There are 115,000 postboxes in the UK located within half a mile of 98% of addresses, making them by far the most convenient network of parcel drop-off points in the UK.
“Our message is clear – if you have a Royal Mail label on your parcel, and it fits, put it in a postbox and we’ll do the rest.”
The new generation postboxes are now being made permanent in the same locations, with Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester next.
Keep your eyes peeled on the streets as they’ll soon be making a debut in your area.
Manchester Christmas Markets 2025 opening date announced – including Albert Square return
Emily Sergeant
Manchester Christmas Markets are merely months away, and the opening date and important details for 2025’s return have been announced.
It’s official… holidays are coming, and the countdown is on.
Just as we do every year, the Greater Manchester public has been eagerly awaiting news of when the city’s iconic Christmas Markets would be making a comeback for the 2025 festive season.
But now, Manchester City Council has announced that the famous wooden huts will be lining Manchester‘s streets once again from the first week in November, and for the first time in six years, Markets will also be returning to Albert Square.
The Manchester Christmas Markets 2025 return date has officially been confirmed / Credit: The Manc Group | Flickr
Now in their 27th year, Manchester Christmas Markets are known and loved for bring thousands of people into the city centre each year to fill up on the fantastic festive treats and to soak up all the Christmas atmosphere.
While restoration work has been carried out on the city’s Grade I-listed Town Hall building, markets have been spread all across the city centre in recent years, instead of the central hub being in Albert Square – but this year, some of the festivities will return to where they belong.
More than 200 stalls will also be spread across nine other sites throughout the city centre.
Markets will take over 10 major locations across the city centre / Credit: Manchester City Council
Promising to be plenty on offer for seasonal shoppers of all ages, 2025 will see the iconic wooden ski chalet market stalls take over King Street, St Ann’s Square, Exchange Street, New Cathedral Street, Exchange Square, Corn Exchange, and Cathedral Gardens, as well as Market Street and Piccadilly Gardens as usual.
Dominating a twinkling seasonal skyline on Albert Square will be an enormous 50-metre-high ferris wheel, as well as an enchanting vintage carousel for children, and other Christmas fairground-style attractions.
The new ‘A Taste of Christmas’ event will be open on Albert Square until Sunday 4 January 2026, bringing the space back into the heart of the city’s countdown to Christmas festivities and staying open throughout the festive season for families to enjoy into the new year.
Councillors are going all out to make Manchester the world’s number one Christmas city / Credit: Manchester City Council
“We’re going all out this year to make sure that Manchester is the number one city for Christmas – not just in the UK, but in the world,” commented Councillor Pat Karney, who is the Christmas spokesperson for Manchester City Council.
Cllr Karney also teased that there are a few other ‘Santa surprises’ to come that we can expect to be announced in the coming weeks.
He concluded: “In the meantime, dust off your baubles, un-twirl your tinsel, and get ready – Albert’s back.”
Manchester Christmas Markets 2025 will officially open across the city on Friday 7 November and close on Monday 22 December.
That is except for A Taste of Christmas on Albert Square, and the stalls at Cathedral Gardens – which will remain open throughout the Christmas period until 4 January 2026.