The family of an elderly woman who was killed in a road collision in Bolton on Christmas Day back in 2021 have paid a final tribute to her.
The touching tribute to the “kind and caring” grandma was paid as a 64-year-old man was sentenced.
At around 7:05pm on Christmas Day (25 December 2021), Greater Manchester Police (GMP) says it received reports of a road traffic collision involving a pedestrian and a vehicle on Four Lane Ends in the Over Hulton area of Bolton.
Police officers attended the scene, but despite the best efforts of paramedics and responding emergency services, a woman was confirmed to have died as a result of her injuries.
The victim was later named as 81-year-old Lillian Conroy.
Shortly after the collision occurred, and Ms Conroy tragically lost her life, GMP arrested a 64-year-old man – named as Paul Greenslade – at his home address, and he was subsequently taken into police custody for further questioning.
On Tuesday 31 May 2022, he was charged with failing to stop, but initially pleaded not guilty to the charge.
However, after a trial on Wednesday 3 May 2023, Mr Greenslade was found to be guilty, and was finally sentenced at Wigan Magistrates Court last week (15 June) to 40 hours of community service, as well as being given eight points on his license.
On the day of Mr Greenslade’s sentencing, Lillian Conroy’s family paid tribute to the “kind lady who loved her family and liked nothing more than having us all around her” – but admitted that they feel “let down with the result” as they believe it does not “justify” what Mr Greenslade has done and taken from them.
“Lillian Conroy was a mother, sister, mother-in-law, Grandma, Great Grandma, aunty, sister-in-law, and a friend to many,” the family said in their tribute.
“Our family will never come to terms with our loss. Mum was a kind lady who loved her family and liked nothing more than having us all around her [and] we take some comfort from knowing that she is now resting in peace with our dad, who she missed dearly following his death eight and a half years ago.
“[But] we as a family are upset and disappointed at the result.
“He showed no remorse or sympathy for what he has done, [and] eight points and 40 hours community service does not justify what he has done and taken from us.
“We feel let down with the result but would like to thank the police for all they have done and for all their help and support over the last 18 months.”
Featured Image – GMP
Sir David Jason set for TV return in Only Fools and Horses documentary Christmas special
In a surprise bit of festive news, the only and only Sir David Jason is returning for an Only Fools and Horses Christmas special this December. Lovely jubbly!
The best-loved and most-watched British comedy of all time will be back on our screens in documentary form this festive season, with Del Boy himself David Jason revisiting the iconic comedy character after 20 years he last played him on screen.
While the legendary sitcom was broadcast on BBC back in the day, the highly-anticipated Only Fools doc will be airing on Channel 5 right before Christmas as a special one-off programme.
Looking back on the show’s incredible run on UK screens over seven series and the several ‘Christmas Cracker’ specials, specifically, the latest Only Fools and Horses documentary will see Jason and a number of other guests appearing to chat about the legendary show.
While it’s still unclear how many of the original cast will be appearing, Jason’s on-screen wife Tessa Peake-Jones (Raquel) is confirmed to be appearing along with other special guests including newscaster Krishnan Guru-Murthy and Bendiorm‘s Sherrie Hewson.
Sadly, a full theatrical reunion just isn’t on the cards following the deaths of Roger Lloyd Pack (Trigger), Kenneth MacDonald (Mike the Landlord) and Buster Merryfield (Uncle Albert) in the 30 years since the show ended its run.
Only Fools writer John Sullivan also sadly passed away aged 64 in 2011 and fellow co-star Nicholas Lyndhurst, a.k.a. Rodney Trotter, told Metro: “We can’t. John is no longer with us. John was the driving force of the show and we have also lost quite a few cast members now.
“I don’t think I could do it without them and I certainly couldn’t do it without John. At the risk of depressing everyone, I think the last two times I’ve seen David has been at funerals.”
Simply entitled, ‘The Story Of Only Fools And Horses At Christmas’, the 90-minute special is yet to have its broadcast date fully confirmed but you best keep your eyes peeled on the TV guide — we’ll let you know as soon we do.
Jason, 81, has only just recovered from hip surgery earlier this year, so it’ll be nice to see his familiar grin back on our screens.
Right, we’re off to binge a whole series on UK Gold.
Habas restaurant in Manchester announces shock closure – with huge closing-down discount
Habas, the Middle Eastern restaurant launched by the team behind El Gato Negro, has announced its shock closure.
The subterranean restaurant will be going out with a bang though, promising one last knees-up with a big discount.
Habas will be doing 25% off its entire food and drink menu this New Year’s Eve so that fans of the eatery can raise a glass to the Manchester restaurant.
They’re also hoping that Mancs will raise a glass to new beginnings, teasing a brand new concept.
Habas is located at Brown Street in Manchester city centre and has been serving up its Middle Eastern menu since 2021.
It comes from Mills Hill Developments Limited, the company also responsible for El Gato Negro and Canto, fronted by celebrated chef Simon Shaw.
Habas has stressed that its closure ‘is not forever’ as it announces details of its New Year’s Eve closing down party.
You can ring in the new year with a selection of mezze dishes, sharing platters and small plates, feasting on chicken tagine and traditional tzatziki, all 25% off on Sunday 31 December.
Drinks, too, like the cranberry elderflower martini, blackberry ginger smash and clementine daquiri will be with 25% off.
Simon Shaw, Chef Parton at Mills Hill Developments Limited, said: “As of January 2024, we have made the decision to close the doors of Habas Bar & Restaurant, however we are thrilled to announce that our Brown Street venue has an exciting new concept on the way.
“Throughout December, Habas, will continue serving up the city’s best middle-eastern cuisine, so make sure you pop in and see us. AND on New Year’s Eve, Habas, will be hosting an unforgettable celebration with 25% off food and drinks. We want to rejoice with all of our customers, with one final hurrah!
“We would like to thank all of our guests and reassure Habas fans that this is not the end of Habas Bar & Restaurant forever, simply a farewell from Brown Street for now.
“We look forward to welcoming you to our new exciting concept in Q1 of 2024.”