The family of a teen who sadly lost his life following an incident at a Greater Manchester business have paid a touching tribute to him.
17-year-old Oliver Mawdsley died after being involved in a workplace accident in Bury last Thursday (8 February), Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained, and since then a police investigation has been opened into the incident, and two arrests have been made.
A 41-year-old was arrested on suspicion of driving offences and gross negligence manslaughter, while a 36-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter.
Both men have been bailed pending further enquiries, GMP confirmed.
Following Oliver’s tragic passing, his mum, Samantha, has now paid tribute to “the most courageous, loving, and caring boy”.
ADVERTISEMENT
#TRIBUTE | The family of a 17-year-old who died following an incident at a business in Bury have paid tribute to “the most beautiful, handsome young man.”
Her tribute reads: “My brown eyed boy Ollie… you are my whole world. I just can’t imagine you not walking through the door, giving me the biggest cuddle, and sloppiest kiss with your big lips saying ‘love you mama’.
“You were always there for everyone. You were the best little brother to Coby, and the best big brother to Hector, and your other siblings. You were never shy to show your emotions in public. You were big and strong, but so soft with a loving personality. You protected everyone with your big, kind, caring heart, and your beautiful smile that lit up the room and everyone else’s heart too. You were always there for everyone else.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I will miss every single piece of you. My heart is broken and I wish I could just bring you home with me where you belong.”
Family pays tribute to ‘courageous and caring’ teen who died in a workplace accident in Bury / Credit: GMP
The tribute continues: “You had so, so much more to give to life, and you should never have been taken.
“Your life was just beginning. Me and Papa watched you grow from our beautiful little boy, to the most handsome young man. Your life was only just starting. You were saving to be able to buy the Crosser you always wanted, and your car insurance.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Your face would light up the world when you spoke about all your hopes and dreams, and you would have achieved them all.
“You had the purest of hearts with the purest intentions. “Us against the world”, we would always say, from you being a baby still to this day.”
Featured Image – GMP
Bury
Urgent search for missing 80-year-old ‘keen walker’ from Bury
Daisy Jackson
A keen walker and birdwatcher from Bury has gone missing while out walking in a local beauty spot, with an urgent search now taking place.
Brian Fletcher, 80, travelled from his home to the Tockholes area of Lancashire on Saturday afternoon.
Brian regularly walks in the area, police have said, including the Higher Roddlesworth and Lower Roddlesworth Reservoirs.
He hasn’t been seen since the weekend and officers are now urgently appealing for anyone who was in the area to come forward with dashcam footage.
If you were on the A675 Belmont Road – from Abbey Village to Tockholes – between 1.30pm and 2.30pm on Saturday, and have footage or information, you should contact the police immediately.
Brian was driving a grey Citroen C4 Cactus car, registration WP64HSC, which was found parked in a layby on the A675, near to Tockholes Road.
He’s described as 5ft 8, slim, with grey hair and a small scar on his face from a recent procedure.
When Brian was last seen he was wearing a dark blue jumper, blue cargo trousers, a tan baseball cap and walking boots.
Bolton Mountain Rescue confirmed that search helicopters and dogs are being used in the search.
Lancashire Police said: “We are concerned for Brian’s welfare and if you think you have seen him over the weekend in the Tockholes and surrounding areas, please get in touch.
“Any sightings, please call 999 immediately. If you have dashcam footage of his car or any information which could assist us in finding Brian, contact 101 – quoting log 1544 of 22nd March 2025.
“Our officers are being assisted by Mountain Rescue teams in the search.”
Man arrested after ‘letting gas off’ on Metrolink trams in Manchester
Daisy Jackson
Police have arrested a man following reports of a person ‘letting gas off’ on Metrolink trams.
Passengers had reported a man ‘wearing a gas mask’ boarding services between Bury and Victoria, who was releasing gas.
Several witnesses reported ‘feeling discomfort or dizziness’ following the ‘concerning incidents’, but thankfully no serious injuries have been reported.
A man in his 30s has now been arrested on suspicion of possessing a noxious substance with intent to injure, and remains in police custody.
There’s not believed to be any wider threat to the public.
Trams on the Bury line were also suspended this morning due to a ‘police incident’ at Crumpsall.
Anyone who believes they may have witnessed something suspicious is urged to get in touch with police as this work continues.
Trams were halted due to a police incident at Crumpsall this morning – a man has now been arrested for releasing gas. Credit: Geograph, David Dixon
Detective Chief Inspector Paddy Connell, from GMP’s City of Manchester Division, said: “We fully appreciate that incidents of this nature can cause concern in our communities, but I want to reassure the public that we do not believe there is any wider threat present.
“We have now secured the arrest of a man and are working hard to establish the full circumstances of the events that have been reported over recent days.
“As officers continue to work their way through all the evidence available, we are asking anyone who has any information to please come forward. This includes anyone who believes they have witnessed something suspicious, or similar to the incidents that we are dealing with.
“Our transport hubs are operating as usual, and I would encourage anyone with any concerns to speak to a police officer, who will be more than happy to discuss any queries you may have.”
You can contact police via 101 or the Live Chat service at gmp.police.uk.
Alternatively, you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.