GMP appeals for footage after eight suspects have now been questioned over death of Stretford teen

16-year-old Kennie Carter died on Saturday 22 January after suffering a fatal wound to the chest.

The Manc The Manc - 26th January 2022

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) is appealing for footage from the night of the death of 16-year-old Kennie Carter.

Kennie died on Saturday 22 January after suffering a fatal wound to the chest after a suspected stabbing on Thirlmere Avenue in Stretford, and GMP has confirmed that eight arrests have now been made in total – including two boys aged 16 and 15 who were taken to custody earlier on Tuesday.

Detectives were also questioning two further suspects yesterday, who had been arrested on suspicion of the murder of the teenager.

Six of the boys remain in custody sites across Greater Manchester to be questioned by investigators from GMP’s Major Incident Team, and two other suspects – aged 17 and 15 – who were arrested on Sunday 23 January have now been released after questioning with no further action to be taken against them.

Six warrants have so far been executed in relation to the investigation.


GMP says Kennie’s family are being kept updated with the investigation’s progress through dedicated specialist officers providing them with ongoing support.

Enquiries so far have helped detectives form a developed early picture of the events that led to Kennie’s death – but GMP is continuing to appeal to the public to bring forward any information they may have.


The force says it is particularly keen to see any dash-cam, CCTV, or doorbell footage that may have been captured from the Stretford area on Saturday night – especially around the Moss Road, Davyhulme Road, and Thirlmere Avenue areas.

Anyone who may live in those areas or who was passing through those roads between 6-7pm on Saturday is urged to check any footage they may have and to get in touch with police with anything that could appear suspicious.

“After already conducting numerous enquiries with witnesses, CCTV, people in the community and speaking to several suspects, we’re developing a greater picture by the hour into the events that night that tragically ended with the death of young Kennie,” explained Detective Chief Inspector Alicia Smith, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.


“Given this is a fast-moving and complex investigation it’s vital the public continue to feed into us information that initially may not appear relevant, but could provide highly significant in our inquiry.

“We’ve launched our online portal for anyone with footage or images from the night to send them to us, and I am particularly appealing to people who may have been passing through Stretford to check any CCTV, dash-cam or doorbell video and send it to us.

“The Stretford area will still have been fairly busy in the aftermath of a football match at Old Trafford a couple hours earlier, and we are confident that someone we have not yet spoken to has some important information that could be key to our investigation.”

An online portal has been opened for anyone to submit footage and other digital assets here.

Anyone can contact GMP with information – “no matter how significant it may seem” – on 0161 856 9908 quoting incident 2529 of 22/01/2022.


Details can be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Featured Image – Greater Manchester Police (GMP)