Man arrested after sickening attack on Sikh priest in the Northern Quarter

'We will sadly never get the man back who left for work that day.'

Daisy Jackson Daisy Jackson - 8th September 2022

A man has been arrested in connection with an assault on a Sikh priest in the Northern Quarter this summer.

The 62-year-old victim was attacked while walking down Tib Street in broad daylight, and left lying in the road with what his family describes as ‘catastrophic permanent life-changing brain damage’.

In CCTV released by police in an appeal for information, the attacker is seen assaulting the man before calmly walking away from his motionless body.

GMP have now confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a section 20 assault.

As of yesterday evening, he remained in custody for questioning.

The assault took place on Tib Street in the Northern Quarter and left a Sikh priest with life-changing brain damage. Credit: GMP

The incident, which occurred just before 6.30pm on Thursday 23 June, has been described by officers as ‘severe and mindless’.

The victim – a Sikh priest who walked the same route home every day – is still in hospital.


His family said in a statement released last week: “On the 23rd of June 2022, our loving and caring husband/father, a 62 year old Sikh priest, had his life tragically altered forever when a thug cowardly committed this heinous act, leaving him in a pool of blood with catastrophic permanent life-changing brain damage and walked away as if it was normal behaviour.

The Sikh priest’s family said that the attacker ‘walked away as if it was normal behaviour’. Credit: GMP

“A devoted husband and father who has lived, worked and supported a community in a city he has loved for thirty-seven years and now cannot even leave the hospital. He worked long hours every day to help his children live the life he never got to and make sure we were raised to help and inspire future generations, raising a teacher, a pharmacist and a soon-to-be doctor.

“A Sikh priest was left for dead on the bustling streets of Manchester, a route he has walked home every day, while people watched on. He was mindlessly and violently attacked and the sick, cowardly individuals are still out there.


Read more

“We read horrific things in the news but never expect it to happen to one of your own, a man who could not say a single hateful or negative comment, who taught those around him to practice kindness. We have lost the life of the party, the light in amongst any darkness in our lives and the laughter and joy he brought home every day, has disappeared and left our hearts vacant. We will sadly never get the man back who left for work that day and thought he would walk home to enjoy the nice weather.

“We appeal to anyone who knows anything or knows the offender to come forward, it is more than two months since the incident, and we are no closer to finding them and bringing them to justice for their actions. Our husband/father lives in a hospital bed with life changing injuries not knowing what the future holds.

“Please, please act today not out of hate but to stop this happening again to someone else and tearing another family apart, as we would not wish this anguish on anyone else.”

Featured image: GMP