Man pulls gun on staff of takeaway on Stockport Road and threatens to ‘kill them’


Greater Manchester Police has confirmed that a man is in custody after brandishing a gun in a takeaway in Manchester.

Officers received reports that a man had entered a takeaway on Stockport Road in Manchester at around 7.20pm last night.

He was acting aggressively and was abusive towards staff, before threatening to go and get a gun and a knife. A short time later, the same man returned to the takeaway and brandished a gun towards staff.

He threatened to kill them and then fled in the direction of Longsight.

No one was physically injured in the incident.

After the call came into police, specialist patrols were deployed to the area.

Following searches, a 52-year-old man was then arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear. A house search was conducted after at a nearby location and officers discovered a gun.

The man now remains in police custody for questioning.

Speaking on the incident, Detective Chief Inspector Terry Crompton, of GMP’s City of Manchester division, said:
This was a utterly frightening attack on staff and one nobody should have to be subjected to. Whilst nobody was physically injured, the public shouldn’t underestimate the impact something like this can have on people. I’d also like to publicly praise those officers who were deployed into the area and reacted so swiftly and were able to apprehend the suspect. In order to protect the public, they acted with no hesitation, despite the clear threat the situation could have posed."

He also continued by adding that this is "especially true in the current climate" and went on to thank all officers "who are working tremendously hard in the face of particularly challenging circumstances".


Greater Manchester Police is keen to continue reinforcing the message of #StayHomeSaveLives and is urging the public to adhere to social distancing measures and remain at home to help prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Top Promo