Manchester-bound Jet2 plane escorted by RAF jets following security threat

Daisy Jackson Daisy Jackson - 13th October 2022

A plane that was heading for Manchester Airport was diverted last night and escorted by two military fighter jets after reports of a potential security threat.

The Jet2 aircraft from Dalaman to Manchester was redirected to Stansted Airport, where it was parked away from the main passenger terminal.

Two RAF Eurofighter Typhoon jets were seen on flight trackers to be escorting the passenger plane which was ‘causing concern’.

The exact nature of the security threat has not been disclosed, but unconfirmed reports say there may have been a suspected bomb threat.

The Jet2 flight was headed for Manchester

The runway at Stansted was closed for a short time last night, until officers established there was no threat and passengers were sent on their way.


An RAF spokesman said: “The RAF can confirm Quick Reaction Alert Typhoon aircraft were launched this evening from RAF Coningsby to intercept a civilian aircraft that was causing concern. The aircraft was safely escorted to Stansted Airport.”

Essex Police said on Twitter: “Shortly before 9pm, we received a report of a potential threat on board. [The plane] was escorted to Stansted, where it landed safely.


“It was parked away from the main passenger terminal. The runway was closed for a time while enquiries were carried out.

“Officers were then able to establish there was no threat on board. Onward travel was then organised for the passengers and the runway was re-opened.”

Read more

A spokesperson for Stansted Airport said: “A flight from Dalaman to Manchester diverted to Stansted Airport this evening. The plane landed safely and is parked on a remote stand away from the main passenger terminal. The runway was closed for a short time but has now reopened.”


A spokesperson for Jet2 said: “We can confirm that flight LS922 from Dalaman to Manchester diverted to London Stansted this evening under the direction of the UK authorities. The aircraft landed safely and taxied to a remote stand, and customers have now disembarked.

“Our teams are working very hard to look after customers, and we would like to apologise to everyone onboard for any inconvenience or upset caused by this unforeseen incident. We understand that the authorities were alerted to a potential security threat, however this has been downgraded and the incident has been declared as over.”

Featured image: Flickr