Mason Greenwood has been released on bail over attempted rape charge
Mason Greenwood has been released on bail over an attempted rape charge after a private hearing.
It has been confirmed that the Manchester United striker – who has been charged with attempted rape, assault, and controlling and coercive behaviour relating to the same woman – has today been released on bail after a private hearing at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester.
The 20-year-old did not appear for the short hearing, but did appear at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Monday – where he was remanded in custody.
A spokesperson for the court said after the hearing this morning that bail had been granted with conditions not to contact witnesses, including the complainant, and to reside at an address on Bow Green Road in Bowdon.
Greenwood is due to appear at court again on 21 November.
The player is currently suspended by the Red Devils and has been placed on leave with pay as the result of a police investigation.
It comes after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed back in January that “a man in his 20s” had been arrested on suspicion of rape, assault, and a threat to kill after allegations were made a woman on social media.
The controlling and coercive behaviour relates to a period between November 2018 and October 2022, where Greenwood is alleged to have made threatening and derogatory comments towards the complainant, as well as accessing and monitoring her social media accounts, while the charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm is from December 2021.
The attempted rape is alleged to have happened in October 2021.
Greenwood had been on bail, but he was arrested in the Trafford area this past Saturday for an alleged breach of conditions.
Once the news of the allegations broke on social media, and GMP confirmed the arrest, Manchester United said in a statement released at the time that Mason Greenwood would not return to training or play matches “until further notice”.
- Nike suspend relationship with Mason Greenwood after ‘disturbing’ allegations
- Fans outraged as Mason Greenwood is included in Manchester United’s official 2022/23 squad list
- Former Manchester United WAG says Manchester is ‘horrible’ and the people are ‘weird’
Nike also notably suspended its sponsorship relationship with Greenwood, with the brand saying it was “deeply concerned” about the allegations.
EA has too removed Greenwood from active squads on its FIFA 22 game.
Featured Image – Manchester United