Jorgelina Di María – who is the wife of Argentinian footballer Ángel Di María, who played for the Red Devils between 2014-2015 – has been grabbing headlines after giving a tell-all interview on Argentine TV show LAM this week, and taking aim at our “horrible” city in what seemed to be somewhat unprovoked attack.
Di María signed for Manchester United back in August 2014 for what was a then British transfer record of almost £60 million.
Most of the winger’s club career appearances have been when he played for Paris Saint German between 2015-2022, but prior to arriving in Manchester, Di María enjoyed a four-year spell at Spanish giants Real Madrid, and had played for Benfica in Portugal’s capital Lisbon, as well as Rosario Central in his home country.
United fans will probably remember that the Argentine struggled to adapt to life in the Premier League and left Old Trafford just 11 months later.
He made only 32 appearances, and scored just four goals and grabbed 12 assists.
And now, it’s transpired that the player himself wasn’t the only one who had found it difficult to adjust to a life in a new city, as his wife has revealed just how disappointed she was by her husband’s decision to join the club, and initially told him to make the move alone after visiting England on holiday prior to his big-money move.
Jorgelina slammed life in Manchester, the people, the food, and even the appearance of the women.
She told Argentine TV show LAM: “Angel came to me one day and said, ‘Look at this proposal from Manchester United’. I didn’t want to go, I told him to go alone. ‘Let’s go, both of us’, he replied.
“It was a lot of money, more than the Spaniards had offered, so we went.”
It seems like Jorgelina was less than impressed by the city from the pair’s initial visit: “We were friends with Gianinna Maradona, Sergio Aguero’s ex wife, and we travelled to Manchester on vacation [but] it was always horrible. We came home and I said: ‘If you’re ever transferred, make sure it’s anywhere in the world but England.’
“I didn’t like it at all – I can tell you.
“People are all weird. You walk around and you don’t know if they’re going to kill you. The food is disgusting. The women look like porcelain.
“Angel and I were in Madrid, at the best team in the world, perfect food, perfect weather, everything was perfect. And then came United’s proposal. I told him ‘no way, no way’, but he kept saying we will be a little more financially secure and we have to go. We fought about it.”
Jorgelina admitted that while she doesn’t blame her husband for making the move to United, explaining that “if you work in a company and someone offers you double the salary, you go running” – but that doesn’t change her opinion on the city.
“It was horrible, so horrible,” she added.
“I just told him, ‘darling, I want to kill myself, it’s night time at two o’clock.'”
Ángel Di María had previously spoken about his time at Manchester United, saying of his own departure back in 2016: “I started very well, then I had problems with people in the club. I started going to the bench, this happens in football. After the robbery at my house, everything made me want to leave quickly.”
In the latest twist that virtually everyone saw coming, the Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua fight looks like it has been called off yet again. Is anyone even still bothered at this point?
Fury broke the news via Instagram on Monday evening, revealing that he had not received a signed contract from Joshua before his self-imposed 5pm deadline and that the long-awaited all match-up is now off the table.
Joshua’s last two fights came against the Usyk, in which he lost both the first bout and the rematch, going viral with a rather bizarre speech in the immediate aftermath.
As well as questioning how the Ukrainian could have beaten him when he’s “not strong”, he references everything from the Russian invasion to his weight and time in prison.
As for Usyk, he is the only real opponent Fury is likely to face and the pair have been open about arranging a fight, despite both having made it quite clear that they hope to retire in the new future.
Gary Neville insists he has ‘no intention’ of going into politics
Gary Neville has made his stance clear and insisted that he has absolutely “no intention” of going into politics in the future.
The former Manchester United and England footballer, turned manager, pundit, and commentator, made a guest starring appearance at the 2022 Labour Party Conference yesterday – which is currently being held in Liverpool – to give a speech at an event about the future of football.
The Bury-born 47-year-old also threw his support behind party leader Sir Keir Starmer.
But despite becoming a followed figure and somewhat of a voice on current political affairs since his retirement from the game, and most significantly within the last couple of years of Brexit, the COVID-19 pandemic, and under the leadership of several Conservative Prime Ministers, Neville has claimed that he still does not intend to venture into politics.
He also said that he was “not going to be tempted” to become an MP and stand in the upcoming by-election in West Lancashire.
The former right back said he does not “need to be an MP” to support the Labour party.
Neville told BBC Politics that a venture into politics is “something I’ve been asked about regularly over the last 12 – 18 months,” but clarified that he’s “got no intention of going into politics at all”, primarily because “I love what I do so much”.
He continued: “The reality is I love what I do so much. I love what I do in football, I love what I do in Greater Manchester with the businesses that I co-own, and I have to say I wouldn’t want to give that up as I feel as though I’m happy in what I’m doing.
“I want to continue doing the things that I’m doing locally in Greater Manchester.
“And I have to say that I feel politically motivated, but I can do as much, I think, for the Labour Party by being here as I can do being an MP.