In yet another sentence we never thought we’d write, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has apologised for wearing Adidas Sambas in a recent interview, after which plenty of owners promptly put them in the cupboard never to be worn again.
We shouldn’t be this petty but we can never look at the classic Adidas trainer the same ever again.
Now, we’re not particularly political here at The Manc but we don’t think it needs too much as to why seeing your nation’s leader (and a pretty unpopular one at that) wearing the same shoes as you doesn’t exactly make you feel like a style icon.
Sunak was snapped wearing the trainers along with his usual suit shirt and trousers (already a bad start) in a recent interview at Downing Street, which led to a flood of deeply frustrated and undeniably funny memes in its wake.
While we’ve definitely enjoyed it as a social media moment, we are truly saddened that one wear from Rishi Sunak and it seems the appeal of Sambas, shoes which GQ labelled an “eternally cool sneaker”, is now in the toilet all for what they called a “bid to present himself as young and hip”.
ADVERTISEMENT
However, after his PR team clearly let him on to the social media uproar, the Prime Minister has since spoken out with a stereotypical politician response you could imagine.
Addressing the situation on an LBC radio show this week, the 43-year-old said: “I issue a fulsome apology to the Samba community. But, in my defence, I would say I have been wearing Adidas trainers including Sambas – and others, in fact – for many, many years.
ADVERTISEMENT
“The first pair my brother got for me many, many years ago – my first pair of fun Adidas trainers as a Christmas present. I haven’t looked back since. So I’ve been a longtime devotee.” Spoken like a man who has never worn or maybe even seen a pair of these in his life.
It still hasn’t done him much good though as all seems to be too little too late for the iconic pair of kicks as even the reactions to his obviously somewhat tongue-in-cheek apology have been ones of fury, disappointment and everything in between.
The Guardian recognised this common pair of white, suede and gum Adidas Sambas as “this year’s coolest shoes – until Rishi Sunak got a pair”, while another remarked: “Seeing Rishi in Adidas Sambas has killed any last desire to buy them”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Even those who were never big fans of the shoe that has often been accused of being part of the ‘hipster uniform’ over the year or so have now been left torn as to how it may have been killed off. We’re lovers of the brand and the style around the world will try and keep it alive but for the UK, it might be curtains.
Fashion trends come and go, that’s the nature of the beast, but no trainer as classic as this should have to go out in such a cruel way. We might be laughing on the outside but believe us, we’re crying on the inside. Hope you’re happy with yourself, Rishi.
In all seriousness, please just go back to the usual sh*t-flickers – it’s somehow less unsettling than you in a pair of Sambas.
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”