Takeoff, part of chart-topping group Migos, has been killed at the age of 28.
The rapper, real name Kirshnik Khari Ball, was shot dead at a bowling alley in Houston, Texas.
He had been playing dice with his bandmate and uncle Quavo when the incident occurred around 2.30am.
The trio, which also includes Offset, were among the headliners of Parklife festival in Manchester last summer.
Migos have regularly been named as one of the most influential bands of their generation, with singles including Bad and Boujee, Versace, and MotorSport with Nicki Minaj and Cardi B.
Local police said that Takeoff and Quavo were part of a private event when someone opened fire.
A man in his 20s was pronounced dead at the scene with a gunshot wound to his head or neck.
He has been identified as Takeoff by media outlets including TMZ, Variety and the Hollywood Reporter.
Tributes have begun to pour in for the musician.
Ja Rule tweeted: “Rip Takeoff… this sh*t has to STOP… sending love to friends and family”
BBC Radio 1Xtra posted: “We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Migos rapper Takeoff. Our thoughts and sincere condolences to his family, friends and loved ones during this unimaginable time. Rest in Power @1YoungTakeoff”
Rapper Juice Wayne said: “Takeoff, man…
“Offset lost a brother he’ll never get to fix things with. For nothing. Quavo lost his nephew. For nothing. Rap lost a good one. For nothing.
The 17-year-old victim – who has been named as Kyle Hackland – was stabbed at around 11:30am on Southlea Road in Withington on Tuesday 22 November, and sadly passed away from his injuries shortly after he was taken to hospital.
GMP said at the time that it did not believe the incident was “a random attack”.
Shortly after making that announcement, the force confirmed that on Thursday 24 November, a teenager handed himself in to North Manchester Police Station, with a second teenager then handing himself in to Cheadle Heath Police Station later on the same day, and both being arrested shortly after.
On top of that, a third teenager was arrested at an address in Wythenshawe on suspicion of assault, possession of an offensive weapon, and affray.
After confirming that three arrests had been made in connection with the devastating incident, GMP said its Major Incident Team were conducting an “extensive and thorough investigation” to establish circumstances and find out who is responsible.
Now, the force has confirmed that on Monday, three men have been charged in connection with this incident.
They have been named as Yusef Sesay (24/11/2004) of Denton Road in Audenshaw, Lewis Ludford (05/12/2004) of no fixed abode, and a 16-year-old male – who cannot be named for legal reasons.