Around 150 military personnel have been drafted in to support the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) cope with rising staff shortages due to COVID.
The NWAS says the the military will be available to respond to patients whose need is not urgent, and who often have longer waits when the service is busy, to allow it to “make more efficient use” of its emergency resources, while helping out the wider NHS system.
The cohort of personnel will begin training on the 11 January, and will continue to work with the NWAS for a number of weeks.
The military personnel will receive NWAS training in driving ambulances, manual handling, kit familiarisation, and basic life support – which the Service says is similar to the standards of the trust’s patient transport staff, who have also been supporting the emergency service throughout the pandemic.
This new draft follows what the NWAS says was a “very successful partnership” last winter, when the military was deployed to more than 4,600 non-life-threatening 999 incidents, including assisting with transportation of patients between healthcare sites on a predicted 1,700 occasions.
ADVERTISEMENT
Feedback from those who worked with the military personnel was overwhelmingly positive, the NWAS revealed.
Around 150 military personnel have been drafted in to support the North West Ambulance Service / Credit: Facebook (NWAS Trust)
“It’s no secret that the ambulance service, along with the NHS as a whole, has been under extreme pressure for several months,” said Ged Blezard – Director of Operations at the NWAS.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Now we are also experiencing high numbers of staff absences due to confirmed COVID-19 cases and isolation, with around 25% of the workforce currently affected [and so] as part of our resilience planning, we can make a request to the military for support and feel now is the right time to put the arrangements in place.
The ambulance service and the military are joining forces to support people in the North West.🤝https://t.co/g4ePipPvQl
— North West Ambulance Service (@NWAmbulance) January 7, 2022
“We worked alongside the military last February and March, and it allows us to have more of our vehicles on the road, getting people the treatment they need sooner.
“This frees up emergency ambulances to attend to urgent, life-threatening cases.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Ged added that taking this “timely intervention” to increase its resources now means the NWAS can carry on doing saving lives, while still providing extra support for its staff and patients during another “challenging period”.
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch Layr speaks out after receiving influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages
Emily Sergeant
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch has spoken out after receiving a recent influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages and reviews.
Having only opened its doors – or should we say, shutters – at the end of last month (29 January) over in Acoats, Layr is one of Manchester’s newest independent businesses that is selling purely tiramisu, with a menu of three different flavours, each served in individually portioned pots.
Here you can expect classic tiramisu where sponge is soaked in espresso, then layered with vanilla marscapone and cocoa dust.
These freshly-made, alcohol-free and Halal desserts have gone down an absolute treat with residents and visitors to the city alike since opening, but unfortunately, it hasn’t been completely smooth sailing for founder Moona who has admitted over the weekend that they have been receiving a number of ‘hostile’ hate comments and reviews that don’t reflect the service they are providing.
The statement comes after the business teamed up with The Couture Club and influencer Farron Clark for a Valentine’s collaboration over the weekend.
Layr said in its Instagram statement: “As a small independent business, we can’t stay silent when things aren’t right. It’s hard to share, but it has to be said.
“With a heavy heart, we need to address something that’s been happening behind the scenes. Over the past few days, we’ve noticed a pattern that’s been difficult to process. Hostile hate-messages, comments, and reviews. A number of one-star reviews have appeared that don’t feel reflective of real customer experiences… with some of our genuine customer photos have been screenshotted and reposted elsewhere.
Layr has spoken out after receiving an influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages / Credit: The Manc Group
“As a small, new independent business, we take all feedback on board. However instances that appear not to be genuine are disheartening to see.”
They then shared a couple of screenshot images of reviews and comments they were referring to, before adding that: “The industry is already a challenge without these instances. We all need each other’s support and I hope we all succeed in what we set out to achieve.”
The statement concluded: “Let’s spread love… not hate.”
Layr’s post has seen hundreds of likes and comments from customers and other local businesses sharing their support.
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Government announces social media crackdown with potential ban for under 16s
Emily Sergeant
The Government has announced a social media crackdown in a bid to keep children safe amid rapid technology changes.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer wants to take ‘immediate action’ to make the online world safer for children.
The new measures announced today include a crackdown on ‘vile’ illegal content created by AI, including fast action to shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act or face the consequences of breaking the law.
The Government says it’s also taking new legal powers to lay the groundwork for immediate action following its consultation on children’s wellbeing online carried out earlier this year.
No social media platform should get a free pass when it comes to protecting our kids.
These new powers introduced this week will mean Government ministers can act fast on the findings of the consultation within months, rather than waiting years for new primary legislation every time technology evolves, and this means, crucially, being able to prohibit measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media – which Australia famously became the first country to do so last year – and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are also harmful.
It’s also likely that there will be restrictions introduced on children’s use of AI chatbots, as well as options to age-restrict or limit children’s VPN, and changing the age of digital consent.
The Prime Minister has insisted ‘no platform gets a free pass’.
The Government has announced a social media crackdown with a potential ban for under 16s / Credit: Julian Christ (via Unsplash)
“As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online,” Mr Starmer said.
“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my Government, Britain will be a leader not a follower when it comes to online safety. The action we took on Grok sent a clear message that no platform gets a free pass.
“Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action. We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media.”