Despite the “continued success” of the scheme and the recent expansion to new areas, TfGM says there has also been “a significant rise” in vandalism over the last few weeks, which has created a “large backlog” of bikes that need repairing.
According to TfGM, as of 23 June, there were 379 bikes out on the network, and 564 awaiting repairs and maintenance.
More than half of Greater Manchester’s new ‘bee bikes’ have been vandalised / Credit: TfGM
TfGM’s Cycling and Walking Director, GMP’s Chief Superintendent, and the CEO of bike operator Beryl all said they were “extremely proud” of how the scheme has been received in Greater Manchester since it was introduced, and were happy to see that the “vast majority of people are using it respectfully and exactly as intended”.
ADVERTISEMENT
But admitted that they will “not tolerate” vandalism, and are “taking steps to target those seeking to undermine the scheme”.
In a joint statement issued yesterday, TfGM’s Cycling and Walking Director Richard Nickson, GMP’s Chief Superintendent Mark Dexter, and Beryl’s CEO Phil Ellis said: “Unfortunately, a small minority have wilfully and maliciously damaged bikes over recent weeks, and this has meant there has been fewer than normal available for hire.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We’re sorry to anyone who has not been able get one when needed.
TfGM says it “will not tolerate this type of behaviour” and is working to address the repairs / Credit: TfGM
“We will not tolerate this type of behaviour, and are working closely together to increase availability of bikes and prevent and deter criminality.”
They added that they want residents and visitors to have a “safe and reliable experience” using the scheme, and reassured everybody that they are “resolute in our commitment to ensuring its continued success”.
TfGM is also calling on Greater Manchester residents to “play their part” by being the transport service’s “eyes and ears”, and helping out by reporting any misuse of the scheme.
Featured Image – TfGM
News
Second arrest made on suspicion of murder after man stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Emily Sergeant
A second arrest has been made following the death of a young man in Levenshulme this past weekend.
The victim has now also been formally named to the public.
Earlier this week, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained that officers were called to reports of a man who suffered ‘serious stab wounds’ on Chapel Street at around 7:06pm on Saturday evening (15 August), and once they arrived on the scene, the victim was pronounced dead despite the best efforts of emergency services.
According to police, it is believed that this was an ‘isolated incident’ with no wider threat to the public.
As mentioned, the victim has now been named as 24-year-old Zherko Rasul Osman, and his family are being supported by specialist officers at this time.
When the investigation was first opened, a 27-year-old man had already been arrested on suspicion of murder and was being kept in police custody, but it has now been confirmed that a second man has also been arrested.
Yesterday evening (Tuesday 18 August), a 23-year-old man was arrested, also on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning.
“This arrest marks a significant step in our investigation and shows our continued commitment to securing justice for the victim and his family,” commented Detective Inspector Alex Wilkinson, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.
“Our officers are working at pace to establish the full circumstances as officers on scene are conducting investigations.
“As our investigation is ongoing, we would like to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”
Can you help? Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell and dashcam footage, can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
News
NHS urges people to book flu jabs ahead of winter as A&E attendances hit record 2.5 million
Emily Sergeant
The NHS is urging people get their flu jabs booked ahead of the upcoming season.
After A&E attendances hit a record 2.5 million in July, and staff experienced the three busiest months ever recorded between May and July in emergency departments, the NHS wants to do everything it can to ‘ease demand’ ahead of winter flu season arriving.
Flu season usually peaks in December and January, so the health service is starting to administer the vaccinations from autumn onwards to ensure fewer people are hospitalised.
Flu can cause significant issues for children, pregnant women, older adults, and people with some long-term health conditions – with issues including hospitalisation and, in certain cases, severe respiratory failure or even death.
It’s estimated that around 104,000 hospitalisations could have been avoided last year, which is why the NHS is keen to cut that number this winter.
From today, the national booking system is open for those eligible to book their flu vaccine, with appointments starting from 1 September.
Those eligible will be able to get their flu vaccination from a variety of places in their local community, including their GP practices and participating high street pharmacies.
The jab is given in injectable form in the vast majority of cases, while a nasal spray is provided for most children.
“Vaccinations play a vital role in protecting those most at risk from flu and they are also crucial for relieving pressures on our NHS over the winter months,” explained Health Secretary Yvette Cooper.
“Everyone who is eligible for a free vaccination will be notified through their phone or in the post, and the system for booking appointments is now open. Together, we can save lives, support the most vulnerable, and ensure our NHS is there for everyone who needs it this winter.”
The national booking system is now open so that eligible people – including pregnant women and children – can pre-book their flu vaccinations when appointments start on 1 September.