A Manchester attraction has been named as one of the best things to do in the world in 2023 – despite the fact that it hasn’t actually opened yet.
Time Out has pulled together a list of ‘the 23 best things to do in the world in 2023‘, which includes everything from soaking in hot springs in Iceland to walking with bears in Canada.
And our fair city – naturally – has got a good look-in too.
Manchester’s shiny new Factory International is ninth on the list, even though it won’t actually open until June.
Time Out said that the ‘new blockbuster art venue’ is helping the city to remain as one of the world’s best places to visit.
ADVERTISEMENT
Last year, Lonely Planet said that Manchester was a ‘must-visit global destination’, the only place in the UK to make the list.
And now with Time Out’s vote of confidence too, we’re officially making a name as a global city.
Time Out said: “Manchester is making a storm right now, with the UK city being crowned one of the world’s very best places to visit by Lonely Planet in 2022.
“It’s not showing any signs of slowing down this year, with the long-awaiting opening of Factory International, a £186 million arts venue which will be the new, permanent home of the biennial Manchester International Festival.
“The 2023 festival (June 29-July 16) will be filled with all sorts of big shows and experiences to get stuck into – including the largest-ever immersive Yayoi Kusama exhibition and a stage adaptation of The Matrix directed by Danny Boyle.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Factory International. Image by OMA 24
The £186m new cultural space Factory International is already taking shape in the city, a looming grey structure that will be home to a massive programme of arts and culture.
The acclaimed Danny Boyle will direct the venue’s opening production, a performance inspired by The Matrix films.
5000 tickets for Free Your Mind, which will be presented across the flexible spaces in the building, will be sold for £10 or less, to give everyone in the community a chance to experience the huge site.
Factory International is set to open its doors in June 2023, programmed and operated by the team behind Manchester International Festival.
The enormous 13,350 sq metre space inside utilises supersized moveable walls, which can reconfigure the space for different performances.
ADVERTISEMENT
Its artistic programming has already begun too, in the form of its first installation First Breath, which has been lighting up the skies with something that locals say looks like an ‘alien invasion’. You can read all about that here.
Featured image: OMA 10
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”