Over 400 homes in areas of south Manchester have now been evacuated over flooding risks as Storm Franklin continues to batter the region.
After the arrival of Storm Dudley and Storm Eunice meant that Greater Manchester and widespread parts of the country were to hit by two storms within three days last week, with strong winds, heavy rain, snow and ‘blizzard conditions’ in some areas, travel chaos on roads and train lines, and thousands of homes left without power, Storm Franklin was named over the weekend.
The Met Office confirmed the naming of the storm on Saturday morning, and forecast that it would bring “strong winds and heavy rain to the UK on Sunday and Monday”.
A yellow weather warning for wind has been issued for much of the country.
As per the warning, the Met Office says that people could see some damage to buildings, trees/branches being brought down, transport services affected by delays and cancellations, some roads and bridges required to close, and power outages.
ADVERTISEMENT
Injuries and “danger to life “could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads, and properties, the Met Office also said.
Following the naming of the storm, the North West branch of the Environment Agency yesterday issued alerts – which indicates “a possible danger to life” – for 430 properties in Didsbury and Northenden after he River Mersey reached record levels.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Environment Agency said the flood gates were opened.
Police went door-to-door asking people to evacuate, and people left their homes to stay in hotels or with relatives, while Didsbury Mosque also offered shelter – however, despite the River Mersey reaching a record high, water levels were said to have peaked at midnight, before receding in the early hours.
ADVERTISEMENT
Two severe flood warnings are still in place.
Footage from EA Field Operatives as they operate #Didsbury Flood Basin on the #Mersey
Severe Flood Warnings are in place, please follow advice from Emergency Services, and evacuate if asked to do so
This is by no means the first time this area of the region has had to be evacuated due to flood risks, as last January, more than 2,000 properties in Didsbury and Northenden were evacuated after during Storm Christoph.
Homes in the area did however escape serious flooding when river levels came “within centimetres” of breaching defences.
Following last year’s storm, volunteers at Fletcher Moss Park – which is near flood basins for south Manchester – called for better environmental management after parts of the area flooded and benches were knocked over by rushing water.
Bev Craig, Leader of Manchester City Council, has provided an update on the situation in south Manchester this morning, explaining on Twitter that: “Thankfully after the peak at 4am, emergency evacuation operations on the ground were stood down and we got through the night without any flooding or damage to properties.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Thanks again to everyone involved and to the hundreds of residents who were impacted.”
She also thanked representatives from the Council, the Environment Agency, GMP, Manchester Fire Service, and local volunteers “who have been at it all day and into the night”.
Thankfully after the peak at 4am, emergency evacuation operations on the ground were stood down and we got through the night without any flooding or damage to properties. Thanks again to everyone involved and to the hundreds of residents who were impacted. https://t.co/cMYhKlYa8u
Elsewhere across Greater Manchester, road and rail services in some parts of the region have been affected this morning due to heavy rains, strong winds, and in some cases, obstruction to the lines, which has prompted a number of local transport providers to urge people not to travel, or delay journeys until after 10am.
Several south Manchester A roads are currently experiencing delays, while he M60 is closed in both directions near J10 due to an overturned lorry, and a tree is currently said to be blocking the railway lines between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport.
Some Metrolink services have also been affected for similar reasons.
ADVERTISEMENT
The yellow weather warning amid Storm Franklin is set to end at 1pm today (21 February), with rain expected to lighten off and stop by 12pm.
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
AJ Tracey is playing a VERY intimate gig in Manchester next month
Thomas Melia
London rapper and respected grime artist AJ Tracey is ‘live and direct’ once again, announcing a whole host of UK dates, one of which is a rather intimate gig right here in Manchester.
It’s official: one of UK rap’s leading gents is getting back on the road and he’s showing a ‘Little More Love’ to lots of cities, including Manchester.
In a post on the UK star’s socials, AJ Tracey trades his music persona for that of a sports pundit as he announces the dates for his upcoming tour while impersonating an F1 commentator.
Anyone looking to attend Tracey’s ‘Not Even A Tour’ can catch the star up and down the country on his over 20-date tour with a stop in Manchester as soon as this month.
The rapper has reached phenomenal heights since dropping the unforgettable ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 2019 and is heading out across the nation to make sure everyone knows about it.
Get ready to spit bars left and right as this rapper’s discography is stacked with serious tunes like ‘Dinner Guest’, ‘West Ten’, ‘Thiago Silva’ and more.
More recently, he collaborated with Walsall’s finest Jorja Smith for a flirty garage beat also known as ‘Crush’ with the video being the two artists talking it out in a good old fashioned caff.
The latest collaboration with Smith marks the start of a new era for Mr. Live and direct as it fell in line with the announcement of his third studio album.
Titled Don’t Die Before You’re Dead, we’re sure he’ll be “building a vibe” wherever he goes and probably previewing a few exclusive tracks from his upcoming project too.
This gig may come as quite a surprise for any hardcore fans of the ‘Ladbroke Grove’ star as the venue in which he’s performing is definitely intimate only, holding just over 250 guests.
This rap giant is bringing his unbelievable beats to none other than the legendary small-cap city centre live music venue, The Deaf Institute, at the end of this month.
It’s safe to say you won’t get many more chances, if any, to see him in such a tight-knit space again.
AJ Tracey is bringing ‘Not Even A Tour’ to Deaf Institute in Manchester on 30 April, with tickets on sale Friday 4 April from 12 noon.