Police offer cash reward in hunt for couple and newborn who went missing from motorway in Bolton

They've been missing since 5 January.

Daisy Jackson Daisy Jackson - 1st February 2023

Police are now offering a cash reward to people with information in their hunt for a missing couple and their newborn baby.

Constance Marten, 35, and Mark Gordon, 48, vanished on Thursday 5 January 2023 from J4 of the M61 near Bolton.

Police were initially called to reports of a car on fire on the motorway, but when officers attended the scene they found the occupants, including a newborn baby, were missing.

It’s understood that Constance has had no medical care since she gave birth.

The team of officers working around the clock to trace the family are now offering a £10,000 reward for information that leads to them being located.


They say that finding the young child is their ‘top priority’.

Detective Superintendent Lewis Basford, who is leading the investigation, said: “We continue to be extremely concerned about the health and wellbeing of the newborn baby, which has had no medical care and has been on the move, and possibly exposed to sub-zero temperatures, for almost a month now.


“We’re also concerned for the welfare of Constance and Mark, because our enquiries suggest that they were constantly moving and awake for at least a few days – which must be especially draining on someone who had recently given birth with no medical attention.

“Finding the baby is our top priority and we are now offering a £10,000 reward to anyone who provides information which leads to them being found.

“Maybe you have been reluctant to come forward before, for whatever reason, with key information to help us find the family. It does not matter why you did not speak to us earlier, what matters is doing the right thing now for the good of a vulnerable newborn baby.

The couple seen on Whitechapel Road

“Maybe you saw them wandering the streets? Perhaps they asked you for directions? Maybe they got into your taxi, or they came into your establishment to buy food and drink?

“Please contact us with any information you have, because every single bit of information we get will assist us with finding them.

“I’d like to stress that if you have taken cash to provide a service to the family, whether that’s giving them a lift, accommodation or something else, that you are not in any sort of trouble, we just need to hear from you.”

Constance Marten and Mark Gordon were last tracked to Newhaven in East Sussex, where they were dropped off in a taxi at 4:56am on Sunday 8 January just outside the entrance to the port.

They then walked to where the A259 crosses over the B2109. They were seen sheltering from the rain, under the overpass, at about 6am, carrying bags containing a tent, sleeping bags and pillows purchased from an Argos the evening before.


Read more

Detective Superintendent Lewis Basford added: “We have no evidence to suggest that they boarded a ferry in Newhaven, and we still strongly believe that they remain here in the UK – although they could be anywhere. Our enquiries also establish that the baby was alive and with them when they got the taxi to Newhaven.

“We know they were still in possession of camping equipment on Sunday, 8 January and so I’d encourage people to remain vigilant and keep a look out for a blue tent. Please keep your eyes peeled, especially while you are out and about in waste ground or beauty spots, or while you’re walking the dog, and report any information to us.”

Anyone who has information on the family’s whereabouts should call the incident room on 020 7175 0785.

Alternatively, information can be reported 100 per cent anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. They never ask for personal details and they do not trace your device.

The timeline of the disappearance of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon

  • Officers called to a car on fire on the hard-shoulder of the M61, near junction four (Farnworth, Bolton) at 6.33pm on Thursday 5 January. However, the occupants were not at the scene. Most of their belongings were destroyed in the fire.
  • Enquiries revealed that Constance and Mark were the occupants of the car and that Constance had very recently given birth, possibly one or two days before, and had not been assessed by medical professionals.
  • A missing persons investigation was launched by Greater Manchester Police, who established that the family left the vehicle and the motorway safely – walking to the Anchor Lane bridge which links the Highfield and Little Hulton areas.
  • Officers believe they then travelled to Liverpool and then onwards to Harwich via a taxi at about 3.30am on Friday 6 January.
  • Mark, Constance and a baby were seen by a member of the public in Harwich at about 9am on Saturday 7 January. Officers also received a number of confirmed sightings of the family in Colchester on Friday 6 January and Saturday 7 January.
  • Subsequently, the investigation was handed over to Essex Police on Monday 9 January.
  • Essex Police carried out a number of enquiries and reviewed hours of CCTV and were able to place the couple near East Ham Station between 10.30am and 12.30pm on Saturday 7 January. As this was the last confirmed sighting of the family at the time, the investigation was handed over to the Metropolitan Police Service on Thursday 12 January.
  • Detectives then established that they took a taxi from East Ham, being dropped off in Whitechapel Road at 6.14pm on Saturday 7 January.
  • The couple are seen leaving the taxi with an orange carrier bag and a pram. They both have their heads and faces covered and Mark is wearing white plastic bags on his shoes, which he removes a short time later.
  • At 6.19pm Mark went into Argos on Whitechapel Road, E1, and bought two big bags full of items, paying in cash, including a blue two-man tent, two sleeping bags and two pillows – which sparked fears they have been camping, including at times when the temperature plummeted to sub-zero.
  • They spent the next few hours walking along the Whitechapel Road area, where they tried to flag down three taxis but were refused. They then walked to the Brick Lane area.
  • At about 11.46pm on Saturday January 7 they then went to Flower and Dean Walk near Brick Lane where they dumped a number of items, including the pushchair. They then got a taxi to Haringey.
  • At 1.24am on Sunday January 8 they then got in another taxi in Allison Road, Haringey, and travelled to Newhaven, where they were dropped off just outside the port at 4.56am
  • They then walked to where the A259 crosses over the B2109. They were seen sheltering from the rain, under the overpass, at about 6am.
  • This is the last official sighting of the family.

Featured image: Met Police