SEA LIFE Manchester has launched a new initiative to help the conservation of Manchester’s canals, with a number of clean-ups organised throughout 2022.
SEA LIFE centres across the UK are known to be dedicated to the conservation and clean-ups of the nation’s beaches, but since our region is famous for having ‘everything but a beach’, the team at SEA LIFE Manchester has decided to shift their focus over to Manchester’s canals instead.
The team are now seeking the help of locals to volunteer for the clean-up programme.
Volunteers will not only get the chance to lend a hand in removing litter from the canals, but also help with the potential aquatic creatures that could be found in the city’s waters, according to SEA LIFE Manchester.
SEA LIFE Manchester explains that the main objective of the canal clean-up is “the conservation and de-cluttering of the channels”, but that’s not all, as volunteers will also be encouraged to keep a keen eye out for any terrapins or turtles living in the waterways for the UK citizen project ‘Turtle Tally’.
ADVERTISEMENT
Turtle Tally is an ongoing study that’s aimed at collecting observational data on the locations where turtles and terrapins are spotted across the UK, and thanks to public input, organisations such as this one can collect information to understand more on this topic, and the wonderful sea (or canal) creatures.
Through working with Turtle Tally, SEA LIFE Manchester says it is helping to “ascertain the impact” that “invasive species” such as these are having on British waterways.
ADVERTISEMENT
SEA LIFE Manchester has launched a new initiative to help the conservation of the region’s canals / Credit: SEA LIFE Manchester
On top of that, the project will raise awareness of dangers posed to native habitats, and also how non-native species can struggle to cope in the British climate.
Unfortunately, SEA LIFE Manchester says terrapins and turtles are often released by people who no longer want the creature as a pet, and they then end up suffering in the environment due to competition for food and basking sites.
Speaking on the new project, Matt Barker – Aquarist at SEA LIFE Manchester – said: “Here at SEA LIFE, we are constantly committed to the conservation of our waters, whether that be through our beach cleans, or in this instance, our canal clean-ups, and through these conservation efforts, we aim to create a healthier environment for marine life to thrive, whilst also encouraging others to think harder about the consequences of cluttering waterbodies.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We hope to see plenty of local volunteers come down and help us in our latest conservation efforts.”
The upcoming 2022 clean-up dates are:
26 March: 1-3pm
28 April: 1-3pm
26 May: 1-3pm
25 June: 1-3pm
14 July: 1-3pm
11 August: 1-3pm
15 September: 1-3pm
6 October: 1-3pm
All volunteers will get free entry to SEA LIFE Manchester as a thank you, so for more information or to find out how to get involved, then you can visit the dedicated conservation page here.
Featured Image – SEA LIFE Manchester
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”