News
Severe disruption to Metrolink tram network across Greater Manchester
Brace yourselves...
Commuters are facing extremely disrupted journeys across Greater Manchester this morning, with issues affecting the Metrolink tram network.
The transport service has advised that one line is suspended completely, while some others are running with severe delays or reduced services.
Lines currently affected are the suspended Trafford Park line, the Bury line, and the Ashton, East Didsbury, Eccles and Rochdale lines.
All other lines on the Metrolink network are also experiencing minor delays.
Passengers have reported long waits at platforms, with trams scheduled on display boards not turning up.
The disruption is due to an overhead line fault, Metrolink has said, and is expected to continue until mid-morning.
In an update shared at 4.43am, they posted: “Engineers are working to resolve the fault, reduced service will commence when possible.”
Tickets are now being accepted on several bus services around the region.
Metrolink said in its latest update: “Due to an overhead line fault, Metrolink services are currently impacted.
Read more
“There is no service on the Trafford Park line. There is a limited service on the Altrincham-Bury line, with trams operating at 15-20 minute frequencies. There are severe delays on the Ashton, East Didsbury, Eccles and Rochdale lines. All other lines have minor delays.
“This is likely to affect services into mid-Wednesday morning.
“Tickets are being accepted on bus services:
- Trafford Park line: 18, X50 and 250.
- Altrincham-Bury line: 95, 97, 98, 135 and 524.
- East Didsbury line: 11, 43, 101, 103, 171 and 172.
- Eccles line: 33, 50 and 52.
- Rochdale line: 57, 59, 81, 83, 84, 181, 182, 409 and 471.
- Ashton line: 216 and 217.
“Metrolink apologies for the inconvenience.”
TfGM’s Head of Metrolink, Danny Vaughan, said: “The overhead line issue this morning is impacting much of the network, with some delays or reduced frequencies and no trams currently on the Trafford Park line.
“We’re working with bus operators and other partners to help passengers make their journey as best as possible, and I’d encourage people to think about their journey this morning. If possible plan ahead, allow extra time and please bear with us while we work to get this issue fixed.
“We have engineers working on site and will continue to use our customer channels to provide latest updates.”
One commuter on Twitter said: “Uber it is again today. @AndyBurnhamGM When will TFGM finally invest in the Bury line? Clearly an issue. Regular occurrence this and again shows how rubbish our public transport (that we own!) is!”
More updates will be shared at tfgm.com and on Twitter.
Featured image: TfGM
News
Second arrest made on suspicion of murder after man stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Emily Sergeant
A second arrest has been made following the death of a young man in Levenshulme this past weekend.
The victim has now also been formally named to the public.
Earlier this week, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained that officers were called to reports of a man who suffered ‘serious stab wounds’ on Chapel Street at around 7:06pm on Saturday evening (15 August), and once they arrived on the scene, the victim was pronounced dead despite the best efforts of emergency services.
According to police, it is believed that this was an ‘isolated incident’ with no wider threat to the public.
As mentioned, the victim has now been named as 24-year-old Zherko Rasul Osman, and his family are being supported by specialist officers at this time.
When the investigation was first opened, a 27-year-old man had already been arrested on suspicion of murder and was being kept in police custody, but it has now been confirmed that a second man has also been arrested.
Yesterday evening (Tuesday 18 August), a 23-year-old man was arrested, also on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning.
“This arrest marks a significant step in our investigation and shows our continued commitment to securing justice for the victim and his family,” commented Detective Inspector Alex Wilkinson, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.
“Our officers are working at pace to establish the full circumstances as officers on scene are conducting investigations.
“As our investigation is ongoing, we would like to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”
Read more:
Can you help? Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell and dashcam footage, can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
News
NHS urges people to book flu jabs ahead of winter as A&E attendances hit record 2.5 million
Emily Sergeant
The NHS is urging people get their flu jabs booked ahead of the upcoming season.
After A&E attendances hit a record 2.5 million in July, and staff experienced the three busiest months ever recorded between May and July in emergency departments, the NHS wants to do everything it can to ‘ease demand’ ahead of winter flu season arriving.
Flu season usually peaks in December and January, so the health service is starting to administer the vaccinations from autumn onwards to ensure fewer people are hospitalised.
Flu can cause significant issues for children, pregnant women, older adults, and people with some long-term health conditions – with issues including hospitalisation and, in certain cases, severe respiratory failure or even death.
It’s estimated that around 104,000 hospitalisations could have been avoided last year, which is why the NHS is keen to cut that number this winter.
Those eligible will be able to get their flu vaccination from a variety of places in their local community, including their GP practices and participating high street pharmacies.
The jab is given in injectable form in the vast majority of cases, while a nasal spray is provided for most children.
“Vaccinations play a vital role in protecting those most at risk from flu and they are also crucial for relieving pressures on our NHS over the winter months,” explained Health Secretary Yvette Cooper.
“Everyone who is eligible for a free vaccination will be notified through their phone or in the post, and the system for booking appointments is now open. Together, we can save lives, support the most vulnerable, and ensure our NHS is there for everyone who needs it this winter.”
Read more:
The national booking system is now open so that eligible people – including pregnant women and children – can pre-book their flu vaccinations when appointments start on 1 September.
Get booking here.
Featured Image – NappyStudio (via Unsplash)