Back in July, the Government made the use of face coverings in supermarkets compulsory in an attempt to prevent the spread of coronavirus in Britain.
Anyone who didn’t wear one could be hit with a £100 fine, they warned.
However, certain supermarkets have said that whilst masks were advised, they would not take action to enforce the rules.
The Mayor of Greater Manchester has since asked supermarkets to “play their part” and take a stricter approach – encouraging them to ask customers who refuse to wear one (without a valid excuse) to leave.
So, what we’ve been left with is something of a minefield. Which supermarkets are telling customers to wear masks? And which aren’t?
ADVERTISEMENT
Here are the latest updates with regards to each major store in the UK when it comes to face coverings.
Aldi
David Smith / Geograph
Face coverings in Aldi are compulsory.
ADVERTISEMENT
If you’re visiting the budget store, you will need to remember to bring a mask along with you.
A supermarket statement reads: “…it will be mandatory for all customers (with certain exceptions) shopping in our stores to wear a face covering for the duration of their visit.”
Asda
Asda is “strongly advising” customers to wear masks, but is not enforcing the rule.
ADVERTISEMENT
Their stance on the matter is as follows: “While we will do all we can to strongly encourage customers to respect the new guidelines, the responsibility for policing and enforcing them does lie with the relevant authorities.”
They have however said that those who have a valid reason not to wear a face covering will be free to enter the store without one.
Lidl
Lidl is not enforcing the face covering rule.
Representatives stated that: “Wearing a face covering is the responsibility of the individual and should only be enforced by Police and council enforcement officers.
ADVERTISEMENT
“The government have stipulated that shop workers should not refuse entry to customers that are not wearing a face covering.”
Sainsbury’s
Sainsbury’s, too, are refusing to stop customers entering their supermarkets without a face mask.
In a statement on the issue, Sainsbury’s said: “We won’t be challenging customers without a mask when they enter or when they are in store since they may have a reason not to wear a mask.”
Tesco
Tesco have asked all customers to wear a face covering, but it does not appear that the chain is yet enforcing the rule.
Representatives have said that colleagues will not challenge or refuse entry to customers visiting stores without a mask.
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.