Tributes having been pouring in after it was revealed that legendary Manchester DJ St Allan has sadly passed away.
The producer and dance DJ was a famous name and a fan-favourite on the 1990s rave scene in our city, and previously worked for Piccadilly Radio and Key 103 in Manchester throughout the 80s and 90s, as well as being ranked as the third-best DJ in the world by DJ Magazine in 1993.
Stu was diagnosed with cancer and had been battling the illness for almost a year before he died on Thursday (22 September).
Announcing his passing, a statement posted by Stu’s team to his Facebook page yesterday reads: “It is with much sadness that we write this message to let you know that Stu has passed away today. As you know, he has been ill for a while now, and has been battling cancer for almost a year, and while we’re so sad he is no longer with us, we are relieved he is finally at peace, after his illness.
“We will be holding a memorial event in Stu’s memory sometime soon, where we can all celebrate his amazing life.
“But for now Alison, Paul, Gary and Stu’s family need time to come to terms with their loss.”
The late DJ’s team also encouraged music lovers to leave their tributes in the comments, say how they knew Stu, and share what memories they have of him.
British DJ Carl Cox lead the thousands of tributes left on Thursday night.
He wrote: “I am so very sorry to hear this news today. His name is Stu Allan. We have lost one of my heroes and a shining light of the Rave scene he helped build. Never forget. My condolences goes out to his family and friends.”
Rowetta also shared a tribute on Instagram: “Loved my mixtapes in the 90s & more recently being on the same lineup at Bowlers. RIP Stu Allan.”
DJ and broadcaster Justin Robertson wrote on Twitter: “I’m shocked to hear of the death of Stu Allan. He introduced me to more amazing music than I can remember. His Bus Diss and His seamless House shows were my introduction to the sound of hip hop and house. Impeccable selector and inspiration. RIP Stu.”
Writer and journalist John Berwin said on Twitter: “Very sad. Stu Allan is the first radio DJ, I heard play rap, house, r&b and rave music from the mid-1980s onwards. Those of us who listened to Piccadilly and Key 103 were privileged to hear such a pioneer. He had a great deep voice for radio. Some comedy catchphrases, too.”
KISS FM radio DJ Anton Powers said: “Absolutely gutted about the passing of Stu Allan.
“He was my inspiration to be a DJ. I got fake ID when I was 15 to see him play & I listened to his Key 103 shows religiously. They say never meet you heroes but with Stu that wasn’t true. RIP Stu and thoughts with your family.”
DJ Anne Savage wrote: “So very sad to hear the news about Stu. Deepest condolensces to his family and friends. Such an inspiration to me as a young DJ and a role model throughout my life since. What a gent on and off the decks. Rest in peace Stu.”
DJ Mark Breeze also shared a tribute: “My thoughts go to Stu’s family and friends on hearing the very sad news today.”
As well as famous names from the music scene, thousands of fans and people who appreciated Stu’s work over the years have taken to social media to share their heartfelt tributes and memories.
“Without Stu and his early house music hour in the 80’s I don’t think I would have become so passionate about this music or made a life from it. I owe him a lot, we became friends and I constantly let him know that. I am so very sad you are gone mate. Heartbroken,” Mark Egee wrote on Facebook.
Another fan wrote: “Absolutely gutted. Grew up taping his Key 103 shows and listening to them the next day on my Walkman at school.
“Defined the music I’ve always listened to until the present day on OSN radio.”
Another fan shared on Twitter: “So sad to hear about the passing of an absolute HERO of mine and many others, Stu Allan. Such an inspiration in so many ways, DJ Producer and Radio DJ championing happy hardcore right from the birth.
“And not to mention genuinely one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.”
“RIP Stu Allan – You were one of the very best, so much so that I don’t know any DJ that didn’t look up to you or didn’t listen to you on Key 103 growing up, you were such an inspiration to us all,” another devestated fan wrote on Twitter.
Police search for Moors murder victim Keith Bennett resumes as ‘skull is found’
Police are back searching for Moors Murder victim Keith Bennett after a skull was reportedly found.
12-year-old Keith was snatched by notorious serial killers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley in 1964.
The pair’s victims were five children, Pauline Reade, John Kilbride, Keith Bennett, Lesley Ann Downey and Edward Evans, all aged between 10 and 17 years old at the time of their murder.
The victims were buried on Saddleworth Moor, but Keith’s remains have never been found.
Now a major breakthrough may have come from an author, Russell Edwards, who alerted police to ‘potential human remains in a remote location’.
Specialist GMP officers have now begun initial exploration activity but say it is ‘far too early’ to confirm if human remains have been discovered.
Officers have also updated Keith’s brother Alan Bennett, who was just eight years old when his sibling vanished and who has dedicated much of his life to solving the mystery of the missing body.
MP Force Review Officer Martin Bottomley said: “At around 11.25am on Thursday 29 September 2022, Greater Manchester Police was contacted by the representative of an author who has been researching the murder of Keith Bennett, a victim of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
“Following direct contact with the author, we were informed that he had discovered what he believes are potential human remains in a remote location on the Moors and he agreed to meet with officers yesterday afternoon to elaborate on his find and direct us to a site of interest.
“The site was assessed late last night and, this morning, specialist officers have begun initial exploration activity. We are in the very early stages of assessing the information which has been brought to our attention but have made the decision to act on it in line with a normal response to a report of this kind.
“It is far too early to be certain whether human remains have been discovered and this is expected to take some time.
“We have always said that GMP would act on any significant information which may lead to the recovery of Keith and reunite him with his family. As such, we have informed his brother of the potential development – he does not wish to be contacted at this time and asks that his privacy is respected.”
A further GMP statement published by the Manchester Evening Newsadded: “We have always said that GMP would act on any significant information which may lead to the recovery of Keith and reunite him with his family.
“Officers met with Mr Edwards yesterday evening (29th September) and he was able to locate a site of interest and provide us with further details of the work he has been carrying out.
“We are at the very early stages of assessing the evidence which he brought to our attention, but have taken the decision to excavate an area of land with a view to determining what lies there.
“It is far too early to be certain whether human remains have been uncovered, but out of respect for Alan Bennett, who we regularly maintain contact with, we have informed him of this potential development.
“Alan does not wish to be disturbed at this time and we would ask that his request for privacy is respected.”
Featured image: GMP
Question Time audience stunned as first-time buyer says mortgage quote DOUBLED
Thursday night’s Question Time audience could be heard audibly gasping after a fellow crowd member revealed that her mortgage quote had doubled followed the recent mini-budget.
Taping in Manchester on 29 September, the current events and politics programme was discussing property when would-be first-time buyer Rabia revealed that her mortgage offer had jumped from an initial amount of 4.5% interest to a shocking 10.5% in just a matter of days.
As you can see in the incredible clip, both the audience and the panel are taken aback at the revelation.
The Greater Manchester resident said she is desperate to know what the government’s plan for mortgages is as following the latest revision, she says she simply cannot afford to put the money down on her first home.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer weighed in on the social media reaction, quote tweeting the clip from his party’s own account and stating that “the Tories must get back to Parliament and reverse their kamikaze budget” as the current economic mess is being “paid for by working people”.
To make matters worse, Rabia was given no clarification from her lenders, only that they were pulling her offers. Conservative MP and Minister for Local Government, Faith and Communities, Paul Scully had little information to offer her either, simply stating it is a short-term effect and that the market will stabilise.
Scully was subject to an entirely different reaction from the audience as well after his blind attempts to defend Prime Minister Liz Truss and Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng were met with laughter. Conversely, Richard Bacon was met with applause after he labelled the mini-budget “absurd”.
As if the anti-Tory sentiment wasn’t already at a high, the chancellor’s mini-budget – which saw the corporations, bankers and the generally wealthy benefit ahead of the working class – has seen fresh calls for a general election to be held as soon as possible.
Beyond declaring a so-called £2,500 limit on energy bills (which many have warned isn’t a guaranteed cap), there was seemingly very little in the way of policy that
For those still unclear as to what was announced in the divisive mini-budget, here is a quick summary:
Speaking in a speech at the Labour conference in Liverpool on Tuesday, Starmer said that the government “haven’t just failed to fix the roof, they’ve ripped out the foundations, smashed the windows and now they’ve blown the doors off for good measure.