The equivalent of more than 75,000 meals have been provided to food banks by Deliveroo customers in Manchester, helping the most vulnerable in our communities through the cost of living crisis.
The huge sum of meals have gone to the Trussell Trust‘s nationwide network since April 2022, thanks to the delivery platform’s partnership with the charity.
More than 36,000 Deliveroo customers in our city have rounded up their orders and made donations at the check-out.
This has then helped to provide meals and vital support (like programmes to help people maximise their incomes) to food banks around the Trussell Trust network across the country.
Deliveroo’s partnership with the food bank charity aimed to provide two million meals and vital support for people facing hunger across the country, as part of the next phase of Deliveroo’s Full Life campaign.
And it has smashed that target, in just nine months.
To celebrate, Deliveroo has committed to matching customer donations on Saturday 4 March, meaning there’ll be double the number of meals going to food banks.
Manchester was the highest-donating city after London.
The Trussell Trust is an anti-poverty charity which supports a UK-wide network of more than 1,300 food bank centres and works towards a more just future where no one needs emergency food.
The partnership marks the first time Deliveroo in the UK has enabled a round-up feature on its app for customers to add a donation when they check-out their orders, with all proceeds going to the Trussell Trust and its network of food banks.
Carlo Mocci, chief business officer UK & Ireland at Deliveroo, said: “Our partnership with the Trussell Trust continues to provide vital support to those people in the UK facing hardship during a time when cost of living pressures are increased.
“Thank you to all of our generous Deliveroo customers in Manchester who have contributed more than 75,000 meals to food banks, helping us reach our goal of providing two million meals to people facing hunger.”
Danni Malone, director of network Programmes and Innovation at Trussell Trust, said: “We are extremely grateful to Deliveroo for the support that they have provided over the last year to our network of more than 1,300 food bank centres, including many in Manchester.
“Food banks are experiencing one of their busiest years yet as they have distributed millions of emergency food parcels to people who can’t afford essentials like heating and food, while also battling against rising operational costs.
“The generosity of Deliveroo and their customers has been invaluable, helping ensure that food banks in the Trussell Trust network are able to support everyone who turns to them, as well as funding wider support programmes that help lift people out of poverty and ensure they can afford the essentials.”
Featured image: Supplied
Sir David Jason set for TV return in Only Fools and Horses documentary Christmas special
In a surprise bit of festive news, the only and only Sir David Jason is returning for an Only Fools and Horses Christmas special this December. Lovely jubbly!
The best-loved and most-watched British comedy of all time will be back on our screens in documentary form this festive season, with Del Boy himself David Jason revisiting the iconic comedy character after 20 years he last played him on screen.
While the legendary sitcom was broadcast on BBC back in the day, the highly-anticipated Only Fools doc will be airing on Channel 5 right before Christmas as a special one-off programme.
Looking back on the show’s incredible run on UK screens over seven series and the several ‘Christmas Cracker’ specials, specifically, the latest Only Fools and Horses documentary will see Jason and a number of other guests appearing to chat about the legendary show.
While it’s still unclear how many of the original cast will be appearing, Jason’s on-screen wife Tessa Peake-Jones (Raquel) is confirmed to be appearing along with other special guests including newscaster Krishnan Guru-Murthy and Bendiorm‘s Sherrie Hewson.
Sadly, a full theatrical reunion just isn’t on the cards following the deaths of Roger Lloyd Pack (Trigger), Kenneth MacDonald (Mike the Landlord) and Buster Merryfield (Uncle Albert) in the 30 years since the show ended its run.
Only Fools writer John Sullivan also sadly passed away aged 64 in 2011 and fellow co-star Nicholas Lyndhurst, a.k.a. Rodney Trotter, told Metro: “We can’t. John is no longer with us. John was the driving force of the show and we have also lost quite a few cast members now.
“I don’t think I could do it without them and I certainly couldn’t do it without John. At the risk of depressing everyone, I think the last two times I’ve seen David has been at funerals.”
Simply entitled, ‘The Story Of Only Fools And Horses At Christmas’, the 90-minute special is yet to have its broadcast date fully confirmed but you best keep your eyes peeled on the TV guide — we’ll let you know as soon we do.
Jason, 81, has only just recovered from hip surgery earlier this year, so it’ll be nice to see his familiar grin back on our screens.
Right, we’re off to binge a whole series on UK Gold.
Habas restaurant in Manchester announces shock closure – with huge closing-down discount
Habas, the Middle Eastern restaurant launched by the team behind El Gato Negro, has announced its shock closure.
The subterranean restaurant will be going out with a bang though, promising one last knees-up with a big discount.
Habas will be doing 25% off its entire food and drink menu this New Year’s Eve so that fans of the eatery can raise a glass to the Manchester restaurant.
They’re also hoping that Mancs will raise a glass to new beginnings, teasing a brand new concept.
Habas is located at Brown Street in Manchester city centre and has been serving up its Middle Eastern menu since 2021.
It comes from Mills Hill Developments Limited, the company also responsible for El Gato Negro and Canto, fronted by celebrated chef Simon Shaw.
Habas has stressed that its closure ‘is not forever’ as it announces details of its New Year’s Eve closing down party.
You can ring in the new year with a selection of mezze dishes, sharing platters and small plates, feasting on chicken tagine and traditional tzatziki, all 25% off on Sunday 31 December.
Drinks, too, like the cranberry elderflower martini, blackberry ginger smash and clementine daquiri will be with 25% off.
Simon Shaw, Chef Parton at Mills Hill Developments Limited, said: “As of January 2024, we have made the decision to close the doors of Habas Bar & Restaurant, however we are thrilled to announce that our Brown Street venue has an exciting new concept on the way.
“Throughout December, Habas, will continue serving up the city’s best middle-eastern cuisine, so make sure you pop in and see us. AND on New Year’s Eve, Habas, will be hosting an unforgettable celebration with 25% off food and drinks. We want to rejoice with all of our customers, with one final hurrah!
“We would like to thank all of our guests and reassure Habas fans that this is not the end of Habas Bar & Restaurant forever, simply a farewell from Brown Street for now.
“We look forward to welcoming you to our new exciting concept in Q1 of 2024.”