The family of a man who went missing after going for a walk in Worsley have paid an emotional tribute after his human remains were formally identified.
It comes after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed on Sunday night that, on Saturday 4 March at around 10:48am, officers from its Tactical Aid Unit who were conducting further search operations for Peter Baglin in the area around the Bridgwater Canal in Boothstown had “sadly discovered human remains”.
No formal identification of the remains had taken place at the time of discovery, but GMP did initially confirm that Mr Baglin’s next of kin had been informed, and that specialist officers were “continuing to support the family and their loved ones”.
Yesterday evening, it was then confirmed that the remains were that of Mr Baglin.
GMP says it’s “not believed there are any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death”, and that a file is being prepared for the coroner for the purpose of inquest proceedings.
ADVERTISEMENT
Following the confirmation, Peter’s wife Michelle Baglin – who made a desperate plea for his return last month – has said goodbye to her “best buddy” and beloved husband, father, grandfather, son, and brother in an emotional tribute paid on the grieving family’s behalf.
“Today is a day we wished would never come and our family is absolutely devastated at the news of Pete’s passing,” Michelle said in tribute.
ADVERTISEMENT
“When I think of Pete, I think of him as my best buddy and after being together almost 30 years, we complemented each other perfectly.
“He was a fantastic father, grandfather and great-grandfather to our three children, our four grandchildren, and our great grandchild. Pete was also a great brother to his two brothers. He was a much-loved son, and his mum and dad are being comforted at their home down south by Pete’s brother Paul and Paul’s wife, Katie.
Peter Baglin and his wife Michelle / Credit: Family Handout (via GMP)
“Over the last nine or so weeks, we have been endlessly searching for Pete [and] I would like to pass on a huge thanks from our family to friends and members of the community who have turned out time and time again trying to help us find him.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We would also like to thank Greater Manchester Police for maintaining contact with me every day since Pete went missing, and also for the constant support they have given me.”
Peter Baglin left home to go for a walk on the evening of Wednesday 28 December 2022, and was last seen on CCTV at a garage in Mosley Common near Worsley that same night – before his phone, hat, and headphones were found on a towpath beside the Bridgewater Canal the following day.
Peter’s wife reported him missing when he didn’t return home.
In the two months since the 55-year-old was reported missing from what has been described as his “favourite walk”, extensive police searches have been carried out along the canal towpath, between the Moorings and Astley Point, and adjoining fields and woodland areas – including by teams specialising in mountain rescue, underwater searches, and drones.
Michelle closed out her tribute to Peter saying the family “don’t know how we are going to move on from this day”, but have asked that their privacy is now respected as they “try and come to terms with our loss, and grieve Pete’s passing.”
Featured Image – GMP
News
Government launches £442m drive to get rough sleepers off streets before Christmas
Emily Sergeant
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas.
Learning from ‘innovative’ approaches put into place during the pandemic, the Government has announced that new accommodation will be rolled out across England this winter, as well as offering practical help with housing, health, and other needs to support people to build a more stable life for themselves in the future.
The new commitment to offer everyone a route off the streets this Christmas, along with boosted funding, reflect the Andy Burnham‘s national drive to make ‘real change’ and get everyone playing their part in ending rough sleeping.
Not only will these plans change the lives of rough sleepers, but it’s also said they will have huge benefits for the country as a whole.
Research from homelessness charity Crisis suggests that by preventing 40,000 people from becoming homeless for a year, taxpayers could save around £370 million.
The Government has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas / Credit: Number 10 Press Office | Jon Tyson (via Unsplash)
As well provisions to get people off the streets, and the intensive ‘wraparound’ support, the newly allocated funding will also help local areas deliver more than 1,000 ‘settled’ homes over the next three years, it has been confirmed.
Areas facing the greatest pressures will receive the largest share of support.
Working alongside councils, Mayors will play a leading role in driving local action to end rough sleeping, and will be tasked with making decisions that are right for their communities to deliver help where it’s needed most.
The Prime Minister says he ‘won’t accept’ rough sleeping any longer. He commented: “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station, but we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping, and it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas. We did it in the pandemic, we can do it again. But it needs all of us.
“Government will put the money in, but I’m asking leaders in communities and sectors across society to play their part locally too.
“Let’s get people out the cold, and let’s bring back hope.”
Featured Image – Gary Knight (via Flickr)
News
Trainline and Virgin Atlantic among companies being investigated for ‘misleading’ pricing
Emily Sergeant
A number of companies are currently under investigation for ‘misleading’ pricing practices.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has launched three new consumer protection investigations into Trainline, Virgin Atlantic, and RED Driving School over concerns that customers were not shown the total price upfront when buying things like train and coach tickets, holidays, or even driving lessons.
The investigations are part of a wider CMA clampdown on misleading pricing practices – in this instance, where mandatory charges are separated from the headline price, or added later in the buying process, which is known as drip pricing.
These practices leave consumers facing ‘unexpected’ costs or having to calculate the so-called true cost themselves.
Such practices can also impact competition between businesses, as a firm using drip pricing may falsely appear to be cheaper than a competitor pricing correctly, and therefore attract more customers.
Trainline and Virgin Atlantic are among the companies being investigated for ‘misleading’ pricing / Credit: Northern | Aric Cheng (via Unsplash)
Trainline is being investigated over whether all mandatory fees have been included in the upfront prices displayed to consumers buying tickets in advance on its app and website, while Virgin Atlantic’s investigation will focus on whether mandatory resort fees and local taxes have been included in the upfront prices shown to customers buying package holidays.
RED Driving School is being investigated over how a mandatory booking fee and ‘digital’ fee have been displayed to people booking driving lessons – specifically whether these fees have been included in the total upfront price.
“At a time when many households are watching every pound they spend, it is important that people are not surprised by extra fees,” commented Emma Cochrane, who is the Executive Director for Consumer Protection at the CMA.
“Clear pricing helps people compare offers confidently and choose the option that works best for them.
“Unexpected mandatory charges make this much harder, which is why the CMA initially put these firms on notice over concerns about their pricing practices and is now opening formal investigations.”
The CMA says it’s at the beginning of its investigations and has reached no conclusions about whether these firms have broken the law.
If it finds there has been an infringement of the law, the CMA can order businesses to pay compensation to affected customers or be charged up to 10% of global turnover.