What are the face mask rules for public transport in Manchester from July 19?
Some forms of public transport will continue to ask passengers to use face coverings beyond July 19 - the date that masks stop becoming a legal requirement.
July 19 spells the end for the vast majority of COVID-19 restrictions in the UK – marking the final step on a roadmap out of a national lockdown which has stretched on for seven months.
Social distancing is being stopped. Mass gatherings are being permitted. And nightclubs are all reopening. Life is apparently heading towards something resembling normality once again. But it’s all happening at a peculiar time.
COVID-19 cases are at their highest point since January – prompting some to argue that certain restrictions should remain in place.
The government has already postponed its ‘Freedom Day’ by a month – with the UK originally scheduled to come out of restrictions on June 21. But whilst infection rates continue to spike, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has argued that the reopening should now go ahead – stating that “if we couldn’t open up in the coming weeks, then when could we?”
The biggest point of contention, however, has remained the use of face coverings.
ADVERTISEMENT
In most instances, the use of masks will no longer be a legal requirement past July 19 but rather a recommendation – with Transport Minister Grant Shapps announcing that transport companies can decide their own rules.
With that in mind, here are the restrictions for public transport in Manchester.
ADVERTISEMENT
Do I have to wear a mask on the Metrolink?
Mayor Andy Burnham has said masks will remain a condition of travel on the Metrolink past July 19 / Image: Wikimedia Commons
Face coverings will remain compulsory on Greater Manchester’s Metrolink service beyond July 19.
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham confirmed earlier this week that wearing a mask will be required across the network until further notice.
Failure to comply with these Conditions of Carriage could see passengers refused travel and/or fined up to £100.
ADVERTISEMENT
Burnham has also been working with other Mayors in England as part of a campaign to encourage the government to reverse its decision on masks nationwide – saying the “best solution is to continue the national requirement” for face coverings on all transport.
Together with Mayors across England, and building on the move by @SadiqKhan, I am using what powers I have to maintain mask-wearing on public transport.
We all believe the best solution is to continue the national requirement from Monday and we hope the Government will listen. pic.twitter.com/ejfuyVhgme
The Mayor stated: “There are around 200,000 people in Greater Manchester who are clinically vulnerable and I believe the Government’s decision to drop the requirement to wear face masks on public transport could put those people more at risk when using public transport, or force them off altogether.
“I do not believe they should be put in that unfair position.
“I have been listening to people’s concerns and, in response, have decided to continue to require the wearing of face coverings on Metrolink.”
Do I have to wear a mask on the bus or train?
Masks will not be a legal requirement on buses from July 19 / Image: Wikipedia
It is up to the transport operator as to whether the use of masks will be enforced on buses or trains in Greater Manchester – as they do not fall under the remit of the Mayor.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT), which represents major bus and coach operators such as National Express and Megabus, said it will not be making masks a requirement past July 19.
A CPT statement reads: “We expect that many people, especially in busy places, will follow the Prime Minister’s call to continue to wear a face covering as a courtesy to others.
“Passengers, though, will find it difficult to understand why the Prime Minister has singled out public transport as somewhere to wear a face covering when a range of other activities share its characteristics.
“We now need to see clear guidance for operators and customers but, in the absence of regulations, it is important that we respect everyone’s right to choose whether to wear a face covering.”
Train industry body the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) announced that most domestic train operators, such as Avanti West Coast, TransPennine Express and Southeastern will not require passengers to use face coverings on board.
ADVERTISEMENT
An RDG spokesman said: “Rail companies will ask people to follow the Government guidance and, out of respect for others, wear face coverings if an indoor setting is busy.
“Train travel is low-risk, with the majority of carriages well ventilated by air conditioning systems or by doors and windows.”
Eurostar, however, will ask passengers to continue wearing masks beyond July 19.
Do I have to wear a mask at the airport?
Masks will continue to remain compulsory in airports and on planes / Image: Lukas Souza via Unsplash
British Airways, EasyJet, Virgin and Ryanair, have specified that masks will be required on board their flights.
News
Two brothers from Oldham are beating out the likes of Taylor Swift in the iTunes charts
Danny Jones
A pair of brothers from Oldham who simply go by Two Connors are now holding on to the top spot in one of the biggest iTunes charts, and they’re beating the likes of Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Bad Bunny and many more.
Stuff your global music stars, we’ll back a duo from Greater Manchester all day long.
Danny and Callum Connor, a couple of blokes from Oldham in their mid-30s, are currently number one in the iTunes singles charts with their latest song, ‘Familiar Faces’, but this isn’t the first time they’ve gone big with a release online.
Carving out their own little corner not only in the old Lancashire borough but a small pocket in the UK’s wider grime, drill, rap and hip-hop scene, they’ve only gotten bigger over the last 18 months or so.
After releasing their first two tracks back in 2024, Callum and Danny have been on a very gradual rise, but they quickly gained a cult local following in and around Oldham.
Writing about life and around the area, with high personal and anecdotal lyrics that feel like niche references and in-jokes specifically for‘Roughyed’ residents – it’s not just music by them but FOR them.
In addition to recording their own unique cover of ‘Bad Habits’ by Ed Sheeran, they also went fairly viral for releasing a music video featuring crowds of local children.
Putting their own chant-based chorus slant on ‘Hi Ho, Hi Ho, “It’s off to Work We Go”‘, written by Mitch Miller and The Sandpipers (yes, as in the main theme from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), it was a fairly radio-friendly tune that was easy for kids and more to sing along with.
With various other natives getting involved in the music video, joining them on the town centre streets and lip-syncing the lyrics, it was circulated online all over Britain and beyond.
You can watch it in full down below.
Fast forward to February 2026, and not only have they grown their following across the region, but even further afield now, as it turns out; currently sitting ahead of ‘Opalite’ from worldwide smash-hit album, The Life of a Showgirl, who needs big label backing, eh?
Bringing smiles to even more Greater Mancs by quite literally shining the spotlight on ‘Familiar Faces’ and punters from nearby pubs such as The Up Stepps Inn and former nightclub Sruples, it is a real tribute to their homeland.
Only time will tell how long they’ll cling to that iTunes top spot, but with nearly 73,000 monthly listeners on Spotify and counting, they might be one of the biggest music names to come out of OL in some time.
In other big news over in Oldham, on the sporting side of things, RLFC are staring down yet more uncertainty, with local hero Bill Quinn also wrapping up his time at the club.
Featured Image — GRM Daily (screenshot via YouTube)
News
Manchester urged to ‘come together against hate’ ahead of Britain First march in the city this weekend
Emily Sergeant
Manchester is being urged to ‘come together against hate’ ahead of the Britain First march planned in the city centre this weekend.
Cllr Bev Craig, who is the Leader of Manchester City Council, has addressed the local community directly, asserting Manchester’s core values as a welcoming city with ‘diversity and respect’ at its heart, and reaffirming that the message from the region’s leaders is one of ‘unity’ and togetherness against hatred ‘in all its forms’.
“Manchester does not welcome Britain First to our city because they seek to divide our communities and spread hatred,” Cllr Craig declared.
We are stronger together…
Which is why we are making a poster available for residents, communities and local organisations to download, share and display.
Founded by anti-abortion campaigner, Britain First is described as being a far-right British fascist and neo-fascist political party and hate group formed in 2011 by members of the former British National Party (BNP).
The party itself, however, states on its own website that it is as a ‘patriotic political party that will put our own people first’.
In an emphatic statement speaking out against Britain First’s views and their intentions to march through the city centre this weekend, Cllr Bev Craig said: “We understand the alarm and distress that comes when a group like Britain First, which is widely regarded as a far-right hate group, chooses to gather in our city.
“However, UK law protects the right to freedom of expression and assembly, and this means that protests are allowed on the condition they engage fully with the local police force.
Cllr Bev Craig urges Manchester to ‘come together against hate’ / Credit: Manchester City Council
“GMP have given assurances that they will be policing this protest seriously, robustly and with public safety as their top priority.
“At a time when groups promoting division seek attention, our strength comes from standing united – celebrating our diversity and supporting one another. Let’s come together and send a clear message that hate has no place in our city.”
Cllr Craig closed out her statement declaring that Manchester ‘stands together’.
“Our unity is stronger than hate and the values that unite us will always hold firm.
“We are a welcoming and friendly city, with a proud history of tolerance, fairness and respect. But the hate and division that Britain First foster has no place here. We have no time for racism or hatred.”