Bernardo Silva credits Manchester City fans as he signs new three-year contract
He had been tipped with a move away for some time.
Bernardo Silva is set to stay at Manchester City for another three years after he signed a new contract on Wednesday, 23 August, and he has credited the fans with helping him make the decision.
It had been rumoured that the Portuguese midfielder could possibly leave the Etihad for the past couple of seasons now after there had been interest from the likes of Barcelona, PSG and most recently Saudi Arabia, but City fans will be delighted to hear he’s now snubbed all of them in favour of staying.
Announcing the contract extension on social media, Man City confirmed that fan favourite Silva will now be staying until at least 2026, adding an extra year onto his current deal.
Having already spent six seasons at the club, should he fulfil his newly revised contract until it expires, he will have spent just shy of a decade in blue.
Describing his time with this team as “a dream” thus far, the 29-year-old said: “I’ve had six incredible years at Manchester City and I’m delighted to extend my time here.
“Winning the treble last season was extremely special and it’s exciting to be part of a squad where there is such a hunger and passion.
“I love the manager, my teammates and the fans and hope we can share even more great memories in the coming years.”
The treble-winner also said that the affection he has received from the fan base down the years played a big part in influencing his decision, insisting that “the way they treat me and they help me, it’s a motivation. Since day one… the way the fans show their love and support is, of course, a big factor”.
You can watch the full interview after singing his new contract extension HERE.
- Jack Grealish sends touching message to young footballer with cerebral palsy
- Thousands sign petition after Mary Earps fires back over Nike’s response to keeper kit saga
- Man United conduct ‘pre-medical’ on another keeper as Dean Henderson could be set to leave
With one of his key midfield partners having recently departed the club after Ilkay Gündogan joined Barcelona following seven years at the Etihad — another transfer rumour that rumbled on for some time and felt somewhat inevitable — supporters will be relieved to see that one of their most special players will be staying for a few more years.
Since joining from AS Monaco back in 2017, Silva has scored a total of 55 goals in 308 appearances, won five Premier League titles, two FA Cups; four League Cups, two Community Shields and now the Champions League, not to mention countless awards from the PFA and at club level. Not too shabby.
Safe to say Bernardo Silva is the kind of player you want to keep around for as long as possible.
One crucial figure they will have to do without, though, at least until after the international break is manager Pep Guardiola, who is recovering over in Spain after undergoing back surgery.
For all the latest news, events and goings on in Greater Manchester, subscribe to The Manc newsletter HERE.
Featured Image — Manchester City (via Twitter)